[Release] Waterlab GZD

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
leodoom85

Re: [Release] Waterlab GZD

Post by leodoom85 »

Blue Shadow wrote:This was enjoyable. I very much like the atmosphere and the ambient sounds and music - they kept me on edge*.

I played and finished it on HMP difficulty:

It's nice to play some Doom map without being scalded by unforgiving ambushes and traps around every corner.
Spoiler: *
Try to play it in UV next time and that BFG secret is a nice homage to our friend, the archie :)
ghostboy1225

Post by ghostboy1225 »

Image loved the map extremely atmospheric decided to restart sometime after getting the red card made it even better IMO just had the typical TC/PC issue of when new enemies are added
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Is there any way to get a no-custom-monsters version of this? I'd love to try it with some other gameplay mods.

8-)
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Try Trailblazer. XD

I should add these custom monsters to my Monster Randomizer. Combined with some ZScript Major Cooke is drumming up, for what is basically a format for universal compatibility, we could make all of these monsters compatible with certain other mods... :D
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Mostly I want to play it in Hideous Destructor, without dealing with weird meta from monsters not designed for it.

EDIT: Well, actually trying it isn't too bad as long as I play with lower-difficulty spawn filters. The different AI and horrible accuracy of the non-HD monsters is quite apparent though.

8-)
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

I loved this map, but i can't disassociate it from Disruptor's mission 5:
Spoiler:
The beggining is very similar.

Excellent map!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Thanks for all the positive comments. :) Nice to see that people are still having fun with this.

@Cali, I didn't make it with gameplay mods in mind so it probably won't play to well with them. In saying that, I didn't touch the stock weapons so it might be OK-ish (as it seems you found it). As far as the custom monsters go, I can't think of an easy way to deal with that. However, I'd say that many of them have pretty clear "if it wasn't this monster, which vanilla one would it be" alternatives so if anyone was desperate enough, they could spend a bit of time doing a find/replace in a map editor.

@GAA1992 I see what you mean about the start of the map. I've never played (or even seen) Disruptor before but there is certainly a similarity. All I was doing was trying to make the start area a bit like the one from the original Doom Legacy "Waterlab" but more interesting. That Disruptor game looks pretty interesting BTW. Looks like it's only on PS1 so I can't easily check it (although my original PS is somewhere and, as far as I know, still in working order).
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

I really recommend it, then. Even Romero praised it on it's release.

It is a doom clone with some cheesy cinematics, cool powerups and good "3d model ripped" sprites.

Good to see your is fine. Mine is broken.
XLightningStormL

Post by XLightningStormL »

Enjay wrote:Thanks for all the positive comments. :) Nice to see that people are still having fun with this.

@Cali, I didn't make it with gameplay mods in mind so it probably won't play to well with them. In saying that, I didn't touch the stock weapons so it might be OK-ish (as it seems you found it). As far as the custom monsters go, I can't think of an easy way to deal with that. However, I'd say that many of them have pretty clear "if it wasn't this monster, which vanilla one would it be" alternatives so if anyone was desperate enough, they could spend a bit of time doing a find/replace in a map editor.

@GAA1992 I see what you mean about the start of the map. I've never played (or even seen) Disruptor before but there is certainly a similarity. All I was doing was trying to make the start area a bit like the one from the original Doom Legacy "Waterlab" but more interesting. That Disruptor game looks pretty interesting BTW. Looks like it's only on PS1 so I can't easily check it (although my original PS is somewhere and, as far as I know, still in working order).
can confirm weapons of saturn works and fits Waterlab very well.
Nems
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Nems »

Finally got around to playing this after weeks of procrasturbating. :P You haven't lost your touch at all, Enjay. You made a damn good and challenging level. Hopefully we'll get to see more releases from you in the future. I'm a huge fan of your work. <3
PaskaTykki

Post by PaskaTykki »

This map pack look very good. I have couple problem when i try play this map with Brutal Doom 20b. I cant reaload weapon and kick doesn't work. Does somebody else have this problem?
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

It's not meant for BD. Slapping any gameplay mod over a ZDoom-specific map is going to have unforseen side effects.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

I'm guessing it's because the Reload and Kick functions of Brutal Doom are (STILL) triggered by numbered ACS scripts. Numbered scripts should be restricted to map scripting, and named scripts should be used for external gameplay mods.
PaskaTykki

Post by PaskaTykki »

I know there can some problems when add gameplay mod to map pack. Is there easy way fix reload and kick problem?
StormCatcher.77

Post by StormCatcher.77 »

The really strong work. Lighting and background sounds create a startling atmosphere! The number of secrets is just off scale! :D The first time I was able to find only 10 (or 11, I do not remember). Apparently, these were the most elementary. It seemed to me that the secret with the megasphere (terminal with WinXP) did not count as a secret (maybe I just did not notice something ...). From the very beginning, the gameplay resembles a shooting range - we smoothly clean every next room, but, already to the middle of the map, the difficulty makes one nervous. The abundance of new enemies introduces diversity in tactics. The last fight I could overcome only thanks to the secret BFG. If I did not pick it up, I would just not survive there. Flying mines are the only enemies at all map that managed to kill me, and more than once ...

Image First Demo Attempt GZDoom 2.4.0, ~50 min

In the end: positive by its detalils, a moderately difficult map with a deep atmosphere. I hope that other similar works will appear in the future!

In my collection:

Image - Visuals (5 / 5)
Image - Detailing (4 / 5)
Image - Gameplay (4 / 5)
Image - Atmosphere (5 / 5)
Image - Difficulty (4 / 5)

Image - Overall Rating (5 / 5)

Return to “Levels”