Redemption Of The Slain Full Release and Download

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Redemption Of The Slain Full Release and Download

Postby TheCastle » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:55 pm

Hey everyone, it was suggested that I post this here. I have been working on a Doom 2 level that fully uses the GZDoom feature set. I just released the full version of the level yesterday. on my Steemit account.
https://steemit.com/gaming/@thecastle/d ... d-download

Here is a screenshot of the level in the editor.

Here is me playing through the level on Ultra Violence with 100% secrets and under par time. (40 Minutes)
https://youtu.be/zukEV68hd8o

Here is me talking about the inner workings of the level and what I had in mind even before working on No Rest For The Living.
https://youtu.be/zOX-HZwa-z4

I plan to post a video of me tackling this level in Black metal difficulty on my Youtube channel on Monday.

Let me know what you think! :D
TheCastle

Discord: #9832

Re: Redemption Of The Slain Full Release and Download

Postby kadu522 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:56 pm

Downloading your map,i am going to be playing it in project brutality 2.0 and give you my thoughs leter.

PS:That map tho!
kadu522
A gameplay lover,heck i play a ASCII Based game is your gameplay is good enough.

Discord: kadu522#0658
Twitch ID: kadulal
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 32-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)

Postby Gez » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:22 pm

Seems promising, I'll try it without Brutal Doom though. :p
Gez

Postby TheCastle » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:52 pm

GZDoom is the only hard 100% requirement because the level makes full use of ACS scripting, dynamic lighting and floors over floors.

If you make a video showing footage of the level I will be happy to do a response video and go over what happens ect :D
TheCastle

Postby kadu522 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:19 pm

kadu522 wrote:Downloading your map,i am going to be playing it in project brutality 2.0 and give you my thoughs leter.

PS:That map tho!

Ok got a update for you. i just played in harsh (hurt me plenty eguivalent) and is inposible halfway (at the right of the main hub on the map) do to the shear madnnes. i am going to try with smoothdoom next just to se if the better AI form Brutality is what gave me trouble.

And also just in case did you put lava elementals on the map or is it just brutality again?
Just found out is brutalitys fault.

Also excelent use of scripting,auto-saving and dinamic music good job :thumb: .

Edit:Played with smoothdoom could'nt get far enough porbably becouse of the weapons, also played with SUAB becuse why not and the result was the same but on the enemys side (Cacos expecialy).[Bouth were done in a Hurt me plenty equivalent]
Last edited by kadu522 on Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kadu522
A gameplay lover,heck i play a ASCII Based game is your gameplay is good enough.

Postby Rachael » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:23 pm

This is definitely a professional quality level, and your experience shows.

As a forward - I don't play with Brutal Doom. But - without further ado -

I think my biggest gripe about the level would be some of the drawn-out teleport-in fights with the monsters. I also felt like the music changed a bit abruptly in some places.

But outside of that, the visuals were nothing short of absolutely impressive. It is amazing how much you managed to fit in a single level space, and even the "levels within a level" felt pretty vast and grand.
Rachael
Admin

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Gez » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:52 pm

Speaking of music change, little problem: when entering the netherworld, the music changes to D_E1M2... which will not be there if you don't load a music pack including both Doom 1 and Doom 2 music!
Gez

Postby kadu522 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:28 pm

Gez wrote:Speaking of music change, little problem: when entering the netherworld, the music changes to D_E1M2... which will not be there if you don't load a music pack including both Doom 1 and Doom 2 music!

i am actualy useing doommetalv4 wich includes bouth.
kadu522

Postby Rachael » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:38 pm

Yeah music packs will work just fine with this - or loading it with Wadsmoosh.
Rachael
Admin

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Nevander » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:53 pm

Wait are you the TheCastle? DUDE! So awesome to have you here, didn't even know official map devs were in the community like this. :D

NRFTL rules by the way, really nice maps you guys created.
Nevander
Self-Banned User

Postby Jigstraw » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:43 pm

I may have just cheesed it a little bit, but the beginning of the map did tell me jumping and crouching were allowed.

https://youtu.be/oC5oP2WH9RA

Allows me to skip I don't even know how much of the map, but I'm pretty sure that's getting the blue skull earlier than intended.
Jigstraw

Postby TheCastle » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:49 pm

Yeah Dooms game play is something I seriously still love to this day. Sorry that some are having issues with the level but if its not played with the specific files like doommetalv4 and brutal doom its very likely your experience will be a lot different from what I intended.

The goal when I designed this level was to take Doom and make a modern shooter feel while retaining Dooms feel. It gets pretty intense on difficulties above Hurt Me Plenty. I actually made a video of me completing the level in Black Metal difficulty which has custom spawns. It is beyond brutally hard so I am really interested to see if someone can actually beat the level without the use of manual saves.

I might actually do a patch to the level to fix cheese spots where you can jump and take shortcuts. I found that rocket jumping and grenade jumping can be used to cheese parts of the level.

But yeah I have been cooking this level up for quite some time. I do a lot of personal projects, I document my experiences on my Youtube channel almost every day.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjENwU ... fv1RK2DpNg
Last edited by TheCastle on Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheCastle

Postby TheCastle » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:51 pm

Jigstraw wrote:I may have just cheesed it a little bit, but the beginning of the map did tell me jumping and crouching were allowed.

https://youtu.be/oC5oP2WH9RA

Allows me to skip I don't even know how much of the map, but I'm pretty sure that's getting the blue skull earlier than intended.

Thanks for that, Ill make sure to address this one. I also noticed you were playing without lighting?
TheCastle

Postby Jigstraw » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:52 pm

TheCastle wrote:Thanks for that, Ill make sure to address this one. I also noticed you were playing without lighting?

oh, I know it removes some of the intended ambiance and atmosphere, but I always play with the legacy lighting option in GZDoom's settings for visibility's sake. It does detract a little bit of the experience, but I personally don't mind much if it means visibility isn't a major factor in gameplay, lol.

I also remove viewbob, since I always disable vertical auto-aim.
Jigstraw

Postby kadu522 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:42 pm

Hi,Just to say that a watched your pilhosofiy video about this map and i agree expecialy since i am a gameplay focused person.

FPS today is way to linear and oversiplefied but you can't just make a open-ended deep game and just put the player and say "good luck i am not giving you any hints whatsoever", that is way you have to quide the player in varios ways,could be trough tutorrials,level design,enemy placement (You like that dont you. :wink: ),and general quidedence on any game.

That is way i like open-ended games and gameplay focused games becouse they get THE POINT. :D
kadu522

Next

Return to Levels