Moonblood Megawad - Up on /idgames!

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
leodoom85

Re: Moonblood Megawad - Released! [V1.2 - 21/02/2017]

Post by leodoom85 »

The replacement boss is good because adding another Icon of Sin could be generic somewhat. And you have to dodge constantly to kill him and use the BFG in an effective way. For the music I like almost all the tracks that you created :)
After map 10, the difficulty starts to increases and I start with the deaths in map 15 in an embarrasing way lol, so stay tuned for that...
Deadwing

Re: Moonblood Megawad - Released! [V1.2 - 21/02/2017]

Post by Deadwing »

Can't wait to see these deaths haha :mrgreen:

For now, version 1.4 released: http://www.mediafire.com/file/h7q16xygv ... ld-1.4.rar

It contains several small changes according with rhinduck, Keyboard_Doomer, SSGMaster and rodster feedbacks! This will probably be the last version before going into /idgames (version 1.5). I'll probably do it when people lose interest on the wad, which might take a while.

Spoiler:
kadu522
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Re: Moonblood Megawad - Released! [V1.4 - 28/02/2017]

Post by kadu522 »

Hello!

I Like the music that you used for the maps,but i find kinda surpriseing that you did't inforce no jump and crouch since you made it with that intent.

So i ended up "Cheating" for like half the mapset and noticeing "Um... You don't nead to use jump in most of this maps".
Deadwing

Post by Deadwing »

kadu522 wrote:Hello!

I Like the music that you used for the maps,but i find kinda surpriseing that you did't inforce no jump and crouch since you made it with that intent.

So i ended up "Cheating" for like half the mapset and noticeing "Um... You don't nead to use jump in most of this maps".
Haha I'm sorry!
The mapset is intended for boom though (-cl 9), so it is alreadly expected that these levels weren't made with jumping on mind.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

I hardly used jump. But it can be used, then again, it breaks the maps.
kadu522

Post by kadu522 »

leodoom85 wrote:I hardly used jump. But it can be used, then again, it breaks the maps.
But Jump and crouch restriction is a MAPINFO thing right? if so it is problaby a easy fix.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

There are two ways to fix it. One, adding NOJUMP and NOCROUCH in MAPINFO, like you said. And two, just not giving the jump and crouch an assigned key in the controls :)
kadu522

Post by kadu522 »

the second one is just not going to hapen,i like to leave my setings as defalt (not inforcing anyting) and basicly trust the map maker.
Deadwing

Post by Deadwing »

Yeah, I can add the flags on mapinfo, but I don't think it's really necessary, because the maps are meant for -complevel 9 and there isn't jumping on this compability mode. On other hand, I can understand why include since it could allow players to break the maps on more advanced ports, so I would reinforce that restriction. Still, I don't think jumping is "actually" wrong, it just need to be used with care (like leodoom did). For example, if you don't want to wait for lifts to go up, or dodge an enemy attack or avoid some annoying plataforming section.
Deadwing

Post by Deadwing »

Version 1.5 released. This one will be the one to be uploaded to /idgames: http://www.mediafire.com/file/8y3ju9jd4 ... ld-1.5.rar

Changelog:

- Several small bugs fixed spotted by antares, NoisyVelvet, leonardo85, joe and Doomed_SpaceMarine. These include some monsters not woken up propely, HOM's and small rebalancing.
- Backpacks only appear in map 16, so now continuos players won't be so much in advantage compared to pistol starters in the early levels.
- Ammo is a bit more tight in the first 2 episodes.
- 1: Added another shotgun in the first secret.
- 2: YK lock is now in the exit door instead of the switch, so hopefully players won't get too lost.
- 9 and 11: Made a small retexturing in some areas.
- 17: Changed a bit the area close to the exit door, so now players will have a better idea on what they are doing.
- 18 and 21: You can't leave the puzzle until you've solved it. I made this to prevent players wandering out thinking they should be in another area to progress.
Enjay

Re: Moonblood Megawad - Released! [V1.5 - Final release]

Post by Enjay »

I'm working my way through this (quite slowly) and really enjoying these maps. As far as classic gameplay is concerned, these are just about perfect for me. The relatively small size of the maps means that dipping in for a few maps when I have some spare time is possible and still allows me to feel as if I have made some progress. The layouts allow enough exploration to let the player feel as if they aren't forced down one path yet they remain simple enough so that getting hopelessly lost is unlikely. Despite their small size there's plenty of visual interest in the maps and the architecture is very crisp and well executed. The vanilla/vanilla themed texturing works very nicely and is, again, well executed. The theme progression works well too. The fights have been perfectly paced for me and supplies etc have been spot on. An excellent map set.
leodoom85

Re: Moonblood Megawad - Released! [V1.5 - Final release]

Post by leodoom85 »

The aesthetics of this megawad has a Doom 1 feel rather than a Doom II aesthetic (except map 32 and the final boss), the slow increasing difficulty pace, the amount of monsters and how they were placed, the music, the maps themselves. I really liked this one, it's enjoyable. Quality over quantity.
Deadwing

Re: Moonblood Megawad - Up on /idgames!

Post by Deadwing »

Thanks people!
Enjay, I'm glad the mapset style was your liking! I hope you did enjoy it until the end!
Thank you again leodoom :)

The wad is up on /idgames:

https://www.doomworld.com/files/file/18779-moonblood/

Feel free to give it a proper rating :mrgreen:
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

gonna give it a go! looks fun.
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

so far im loving it! you pack enemies the same way that i do, not too thick and each battle feels really nice without any sort of fatigue. its not too mcuh, theyre in there like they used to be in earlier wads.

level design is fun, theres some tricky secrets for sure. been humping walls all over the place. definitely scarce on supplies which i like. it makes me question what ill need whenever i enter a room. i also like how the maps are tricky enough that you dont just go running through every room blasting people or youll end up like "where the fuck am i?"

only complaint is the music. but not a killer by any means

having a lot of fun! once i finish it ill givea full review on idgames.

and exactly as enjay said "The relatively small size of the maps means that dipping in for a few maps when I have some spare time is possible and still allows me to feel as if I have made some progress."

Return to “Levels”