Plain ol' Doom 2 Community Mapping Project

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Plain ol' Doom 2 Community Mapping Project

Postby Seidolon » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:34 pm

@leodoom85 Looks quite interesting. I'm glad you got started on your map.

@meatman12 I like some of the changes you made in the level, but at the same time, I feel there's just something off about the layout. Could you try playing doom 2 a bit and observing the level design. Use what you learn to make a level that you could imagine being in the original doom 2. Also don't forget to check out John Romero's design rules.
Seidolon

Postby LedIris » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:12 am

@Seidolon Sure! I agree with the map being a bit short. I'll see what I can come up with and then I'll upload the file again. :)
I don't know a name for the map, though. I guess The Crusher is still appropriate, but it would be nice if it didn't use stock Doom 2 level names.
LedIris

Postby meatman12 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:00 am

I was making this under the intention that this was just a regular map pack (my apologies)
anyway, I'll get started (won't be wolfenstein themed)
meatman12
Professional complainer

Discord: #4074

Postby LedIris » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:42 am

Here is V2 of MAP06! The changes I made:
-Added a shotgun to the starting area to help pistol starters
-Added some weapon pickups and barrels around the map
-Moved some lights to make sure the player doesn't get stuck on them
-Extended the map past the yellow key area - the exit area has been moved back slightly
-Some monster traps added to the yellow key + crusher room
-Fixed some items not appearing in the easiest difficulties
I still don't know what to call the map, though. Perhaps UAC Military Base?

Here is a picture showing the layout changes.
Spoiler:

Attached is the map. I hope this is better. ;)
EDIT: I just reuploaded the file to fix some critical items not appearing in easiest difficulties.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by LedIris on Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LedIris

Postby Seidolon » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:30 am

I'll try it out when I get home from work in about 7 hours.
Seidolon

Postby AD_79 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:54 pm

LedIris wrote:Here is V2 of MAP06!

Cute little map. No big gameplay issues as far as I can tell, though the gameplay itself wasn't particularly interesting. Some suggestions:

-Remove some of the doors (in particular: sectors 242, 45 and 150 (widen this entrance btw)). This would help with the flow a bit.
-The cacodemons in the outdoor area are useless. I'd suggest either removing them (probably the better option) or removing the monster-block lines on the windows and directing the cacos through them.
-Sector 220 is a pretty overpowered secret for what this map throws at you, heh. Maybe move the green armour to where the blue armour is, and then delete the blue (keep it on lower skill levels??).
-Linedef 427 (lowers the aforementioned blue armour secret) has a zero-tagged switch action. This causes big problems in a port such as PRBoom+ (in this instance it lowers every sector with a tag of 0).
-Kill the backpacks(!). You just don't need 'em!
-You could very comfortably replace a couple monsters beyond the yellow door with revenants to make that end area a little more engaging. Maybe slip an extra chaingunner or two into the map as well?

Not bad. Keep at it, man.
AD_79

Postby LedIris » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:56 am

AD_79 wrote:
Cute little map. No big gameplay issues as far as I can tell, though the gameplay itself wasn't particularly interesting. Some suggestions:

-Remove some of the doors (in particular: sectors 242, 45 and 150 (widen this entrance btw)). This would help with the flow a bit.
-The cacodemons in the outdoor area are useless. I'd suggest either removing them (probably the better option) or removing the monster-block lines on the windows and directing the cacos through them.
-Sector 220 is a pretty overpowered secret for what this map throws at you, heh. Maybe move the green armour to where the blue armour is, and then delete the blue (keep it on lower skill levels??).
-Linedef 427 (lowers the aforementioned blue armour secret) has a zero-tagged switch action. This causes big problems in a port such as PRBoom+ (in this instance it lowers every sector with a tag of 0).
-Kill the backpacks(!). You just don't need 'em!
-You could very comfortably replace a couple monsters beyond the yellow door with revenants to make that end area a little more engaging. Maybe slip an extra chaingunner or two into the map as well?

Not bad. Keep at it, man.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll edit this post when I can to attach another version with these suggestions. ;)
I probably should have tested the map in other ports as well, my bad. :oops:

EDIT: Here's the third final version. I added AD_79's suggestions, fixed linedef 427 being zero-tagged and added some revenants to the end area. I also changed some of the TEKGREN textures in the red key area. I started to get some of the Hell aesthetic in the post-yellow key section of the map, though it's not terribly visible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by LedIris on Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
LedIris

Postby leodoom85 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:07 pm

A bit of progress now for the yellow key whole area...
I hope that I finish that part today.
leodoom85
Dodge this.....
Banned User

Discord: leodoom85#6202

Postby SouthernLion » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:19 am

Hey, brother, I'm a little behind because my water pump to my CPU split open. I've been drawing blue prints on paper, though, and should be back in action when the new pump is here.
SouthernLion

Postby LedIris » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:37 am

Did some more updates to MAP06. Nothing too major, just fixing some texture alignment here and there, and I added some more multiplayer weapons and spawns around the map.
On top of that, I made some changes to the yellow key room (lights go off when you pick key up) to try and make the gameplay more interesting. If you don't like this change, feel free to remove it.
Sorry for having so many versions :oops: but this one should do.
Map's name can be MAP06: Command Station, like mentioned in the previous post.
LedIris

Postby meatman12 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:05 pm

MAP31 - Return to Deimos
It's getting somewhere.

I should probably touch up the lighting a bit.
meatman12
Professional complainer

Postby Quantum_Dranger » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:39 pm

First version of MAP07: Yellow Fever down below. It took a little bit longer to make due to random graphical errors including one on the stairs to the hell outpost which I was unable to fix. It's a remix of the dead simple mancubus-arachnotron-boss wave with a small ambush at the beginning, a trap which locks the player inside the main base multiple times and consolidated health and ammo points instead of the usual spread-around-the-map type of affair.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/bmdy1fmnv6rw1dw/YellowFever.wad
Last edited by Quantum_Dranger on Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Quantum_Dranger

Postby SouthernLion » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:44 pm

I think slopes is against the rules cause they weren't possible in Doom II
SouthernLion

Postby meatman12 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:14 pm

I really don't want to sound like a dick, but I found several problems.
You can get stuck behind this computer.
2. I think 1-4 pixel wide sectors look a bit weird (The wire in the same room)
3. I suggest replacing the Spider Mastermind with a pain elemental or even a revenant since the area seems a bit too small for it, plus I found it a little out of place (Yes, I know there was one in MAP06, but at least there was a crusher over it).
4. I think this is a clientside issue, but the doors in the middle of the map seem to glitch out (unless it's intended) and won't open for a bit.
5. This was a problem in the original, but the switch in the ground could be obscured by a wall or something since they can be activated from any height.
6. Spread the medikits & stimpacks around rather than having them in one area
7. Maybe throw in a shell box or a box of ammo in the middle of the map.

Other then that though, a neat little map.

EDIT: Nevermind about the Spider Mastermind thing. Just make it so the player doesn't have to constantly camp around the corner. Something that can maneuver better.
meatman12
Professional complainer

Postby Quantum_Dranger » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:15 pm

Okay, here's an updated version with the feedback you gave me: http://www.mediafire.com/file/bmdy1fmnv6rw1dw/YellowFever.wad
Quantum_Dranger

PreviousNext

Return to Levels