Plain ol' Doom 2 Community Mapping Project

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Plain ol' Doom 2 Community Mapping Project

Postby SouthernLion » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:16 am

I'd be interested in doing a Hell map if you want to give me a later map number.
SouthernLion

Postby Seidolon » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:27 am

Alright, I'll give you MAP25. I myself am working on a hell map and I think I'll probably make it MAP26, unless someone else claims that slot before I'm done. Also, check the doomworld forums thread for this project. The person working on MAP24 posted a screenshot of his progress, so you can check that out to see what your level will be following.
Seidolon

Postby unRyker » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:31 pm

I'm up for mapping for an earlier stage in the beginning! This is a good opportunity for me to strengthen my mapping. Just to make this clear: No custom music allowed, but using any music from Doom is okay?
unRyker

Discord: UndeadRyker#6128

Postby SouthernLion » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:43 pm

Seidolon wrote:Alright, I'll give you MAP25. I myself am working on a hell map and I think I'll probably make it MAP26, unless someone else claims that slot before I'm done. Also, check the doomworld forums thread for this project. The person working on MAP24 posted a screenshot of his progress, so you can check that out to see what your level will be following.

Sounds great, I will check it out!
SouthernLion

Postby Seidolon » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:55 pm

unRyker wrote:I'm up for mapping for an earlier stage in the beginning! This is a good opportunity for me to strengthen my mapping. Just to make this clear: No custom music allowed, but using any music from Doom is okay?

The earliest map available right now is MAP13. That would mean an urban/industrial themed level. I'll put you down for MAP13 then. No custom music. Just stuff from Doom 1, Doom 2, and TNT: Evilution.
Seidolon

Postby Seidolon » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:38 pm

Updated OP. MAP26 completed. Check for screenshots.
Seidolon

Postby LedIris » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:53 pm

Seidolon wrote:Updated OP. MAP26 completed. Check for screenshots.

Looks really good! Your style fits Doom 2's very well in my opinion. :D

I'll show a preview of MAP06 when possible. ;)
LedIris

Postby leodoom85 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:02 pm

Is there a problem to add the "NOJUMP" and "NOCROUCH" in the MAPINFO lump?
leodoom85
Dodge this.....
Banned User

Discord: leodoom85#6202

Postby SouthernLion » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:04 pm

Seidolon wrote:Updated OP. MAP26 completed. Check for screenshots.

Will you be uploading MAP26? Since it follows mine, I'm definitely interested in running through/studying.
SouthernLion

Postby Seidolon » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:29 pm

@LedIris Thanks. I'll be looking forward to that preview.

@leodoom85 I'm actually thinking about not including a MAPINFO lump in the final version of this project, since Doom 2 never had one, and it might cause some incompatability issues with certain source ports, though I'm not sure about that last part. Do you guys think it would be better with a MAPINFO lump though?

@RexS Here's the map file. It's just MAP01 right now. I didn't want to put it in the OP, since it's a late game map and I wouldn't want to reveal it too much yet. You can have it for studying purposes though.
Seidolon

Postby leodoom85 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:15 pm

I'm actually thinking about not including a MAPINFO lump in the final version of this project, since Doom 2 never had one, and it might cause some incompatability issues with certain source ports, though I'm not sure about that last part. Do you guys think it would be better with a MAPINFO lump though?

I think is better not using MAPINFO...but for naming the stages...maybe DEHACKED? :?
leodoom85
Dodge this.....
Banned User

Discord: leodoom85#6202

Postby SouthernLion » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:32 pm

Seidolon you have a very nice mapping technique. Everything is very clean and easy on the eyes. I'll try to build up something fitting as a hell map.
SouthernLion

Postby LedIris » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:05 am

Here's some WIP shots of MAP06.

Spoiler: Screenshots be here!

IIRC American McGee made the original MAP06, so I've been studying his maps and I'm going to try and emulate his style of mapping.
LedIris

Postby Seidolon » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:34 am

Ooooh, fuck yes. I'm definitely looking forward to trying out that map. Keep up the good work.
Seidolon

Postby meatman12 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:18 pm

I'd be happy to do map 31 (or 32).
EDIT: Progress!

Starting room

It transitions into a less Wolfenstein-like map, but still using the textures & enemies.

Last edited by meatman12 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
meatman12
Professional complainer

Discord: #4074

PreviousNext

Return to Levels