Plain ol' Doom 2 Community Mapping Project

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
SouthernLion

Re: Plain ol' Doom 2 Community Mapping Project

Post by SouthernLion »

My map is about 1/6th finished now. Next day off I'm going to try to bring it close to 1/3rd.
meatman12

Post by meatman12 »

How come MAP 30 is unavailable?
Seidolon

Post by Seidolon »

MAP30 is unavailable because it's going to be made by multiple mappers. If you want to download the most recent version and modify it, it's here. Just post it here when you've modified it. Also, I debrief on that map version a bit more in the doomworld thread here, so you should check that out before working on it.
meatman12

Post by meatman12 »

I know I can't really submit another map, but just for the hell of it I started working on another one.
I just gave it the MAP12 prefix for the second sky.
joe-ilya

Post by joe-ilya »

Here's my submition :

Map name : A Field Trip Across The Cliffside
Status : Fully finished and compatible in every form (Be it CO-OP friendliness or DM), may contain small bugs.
Inspiration : Community Chest 2 MAP32
Build time : A month and a half.
MIDI : "More" From TNT : Evillution
Link : http://uploads.doomshack.org/field.wad
:shotty:
meatman12

Post by meatman12 »

First thing I have to say is:
This map is SUPER laggy for me. Normally maps run really well, but this one in particular had alot of fps drops. I'm playing without AO, super sampling, anti-aliasing, bloom, etc. The culprit seems to be TONS of sectors. This can be fixed relatively easily by reducing the amount of sectors. Also personally, I think you should reduce the detail a bit in some areas. Other than that though, it seems like an alright map.
joe-ilya

Post by joe-ilya »

You should play this map in PRboom+ or Eternity, it's extremely incompatible with Zdooms.

I just found some ways to jump outside the map, I'm going to fix it later.
meatman12

Post by meatman12 »

You gotta admit those are alot of sectors! It makes GZDoom Builder, Doom Builder, GZ and QZDoom lag ALOT. PRBoom+ runs it fine though. Also, alot of original Doom maps have areas where you can jump out of bounds, so don't worry about those.
Last edited by meatman12 on Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Would you mind terribly shrinking these screenshots? They're a bit large.
joe-ilya

Post by joe-ilya »

wildweasel wrote:Would you mind terribly shrinking these screenshots? They're a bit large.
Imgur used to have a medium sized thumbnail option alongside the image so that it wouldn't turn out oversized on the forums, now it doesn't have that and I totally forgot.
meatman12 wrote: alot of original Doom maps have areas where you can jump out of bounds, so don't worry about those.
None of the original Doom maps have that, except for that void glide in E2M5.
Seidolon

Post by Seidolon »

Hey, sorry for the late reply, been kinda busy lately. I tried out your map joe-ilya, and I have some things to say about it. It's laggy when I test it out in gzdoom, which is a problem. It also is extremely difficult for me. I consider myself about average, maybe slightly below average skilled doomer. Finally, I think this map is cool and all, I just think it wouldn't fit well in this wad. The sector count is off the charts, and it just has a completely different feel to it. It would make a great standalone release I think. Would you mind making another MAP05 for this wad? Check out the two demo maps in the OP to get a feel of what I'm looking for.
joe-ilya

Post by joe-ilya »

OK then, I'll make a more 90's themed map, I just went way over my head with this one.
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

joe-ilya wrote:
wildweasel wrote:Would you mind terribly shrinking these screenshots? They're a bit large.
Imgur used to have a medium sized thumbnail option alongside the image so that it wouldn't turn out oversized on the forums, now it doesn't have that and I totally forgot.
It still has that actually, you just mouse over the image and a drop down arrow shows up and you can click "Edit image" by mousing over the arrow.
joe-ilya

Post by joe-ilya »

Nothing really happens when I hover the cursor over the image.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Only happens when you upload image for the first time. If you don't have an account, that is.

Return to “Levels”