Plain ol' Doom 2 Community Mapping Project

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Seidolon

Re: Plain ol' Doom 2 Community Mapping Project

Post by Seidolon »

You can use that map for this if you want. I tested out your MAP05, and it's pretty cool. I ran out of ammo close to the end, but that's probably because I let the pain-in-the-ass elemental spam me with lost souls. Also, would you mind using a different music track for your MAP05? One from either D1, D2 or TNT? The unused music is cool, but it would be better to use a track that everyone's familiar with.
Zen3001

Post by Zen3001 »

Seidolon wrote:
joe-ilya wrote:...I am going to be getting more mappers very soon....
I'm kind of a beginner but i know how to use (gz)doom builder so can i create a map?
Zen3001

Post by Zen3001 »

Shadelight wrote:
Zen3001 wrote: It's not offensive, just rude. Posts like "how is this not done yet?" or "when will this be finished?" tend to be seen as such.
sorry
joe-ilya

Post by joe-ilya »

Fixed the bugs and added a chainsaw near the exit for MAP05 and replaced its MIDI with unused Doom track #46 which is the earlier MAP25 MIDI version of the original Doom II (I used it because it's a less hellish version without that screeching background sound in the finished MIDI) : https://doomshack.org/uploads/damagedarea-v2.wad

And here's MAP15 : https://doomshack.org/uploads/melancholypremises.wad
Title : Melancholy Premises
MIDI : Doom 2 text screen

EDIT : Suggestion : How about you ask the MAP21 mappers (40oz and Walter) to rename their submission to a band that the MIDIs were based on who's band member died? Like Soundgarden, Pantera, Alice In Chains or Stone Temple Pilots, as a homage to Doom II's MAP21 title. :|
Zen3001

Post by Zen3001 »

joe-ilya

Post by joe-ilya »

You didn't claim a slot, you'll have to wait until one is re-opened.
Zen3001

Post by Zen3001 »

joe-ilya wrote:You didn't claim a slot, you'll have to wait until one is re-opened.
what do you think of the map tho? took me 3 hours
joe-ilya

Post by joe-ilya »

I didn't like the start, the barrels should be more accessible since you're shooting lost souls and imps with a pistol, not just zombiemen.
The map itself has almost no texture variety, just BROWNGRN and SP_ROCK1 and the sky, it would've worked if the whole map looked like the exit area, but it doesn't, it's just flat and bland.
There's a silver door that won't open, at least give it some busted marks if it's not going to be opened, it would've been fine if it was in the spawn behind the player start.
The map is too short, it took me 2 minutes to beat it in a slow playthrough, this would only fit into MAP01 with that legnth, and it's already claimed and finished, so no luck there.
The gameplay after you get out of the first cave is nice.
The higher background rocks in the exit area are glitching up in vanilla source ports because you've set the sky below them.
Zen3001

Post by Zen3001 »

joe-ilya wrote:I didn't like the start, the barrels should be more accessible since you're shooting lost souls and imps with a pistol, not just zombiemen.
The map itself has almost no texture variety, just BROWNGRN and SP_ROCK1 and the sky, it would've worked if the whole map looked like the exit area, but it doesn't, it's just flat and bland.
There's a silver door that won't open, at least give it some busted marks if it's not going to be opened, it would've been fine if it was in the spawn behind the player start.
The map is too short, it took me 2 minutes to beat it in a slow playthrough, this would only fit into MAP01 with that legnth, and it's already claimed and finished, so no luck there.
The gameplay after you get out of the first cave is nice.
The higher background rocks in the exit area are glitching up in vanilla source ports because you've set the sky below them.
thx for the feedback i guess
daimon

Post by daimon »

joe-ilya wrote:
EDIT : Suggestion : How about you ask the MAP21 mappers (40oz and Walter) to rename their submission to a band that the MIDIs were based on who's band member died? Like Soundgarden, Pantera, Alice In Chains or Stone Temple Pilots, as a homage to Doom II's MAP21 title. :|
Didn't knew this project still be "active" here on zdoom forums!
Anyway i'm Walter from doomworld, i'm ok with renaming the map, how about Soundgarden as title? I think it fits with the map...
joe-ilya

Post by joe-ilya »

I dunno, contact 40oz (if you can) and conclude the title between yourselves, that simply is dependent on the map author(s) and no one else, I just thought of this self-proclaimed good idea.
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

PM me if you need playtesters

Return to “Levels”