[WIP]Retro Alphabet Showdown v2.0 update 4/2020, new map

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
zrrion the insect

Re: [WIP]Retro Alphabet Showdown v1.1 update 4/2020

Post by zrrion the insect »

I have edited the OP to make that part bold.
zrrion the insect

Have started working on the unique assets that will be needed for the next map and apart from still needing sounds I have an environmental hazards done:
Quite pleased with how it has turned out.
zrrion the insect

The next map is progressing rather nicely. I had a huge outdoor area started but it wasn't feeling right so I scraped it and started over this morning and already I'm liking this map a lot more. If you've played doom eternal I'm sure you can imagine what all the purple is about.

TiberiumSoul
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TiberiumSoul »

is that purple goop from doom eternal :'D
zrrion the insect

It is indeed. The tentacle monster from eternal won't be present though don't worry.
zrrion the insect

Working on some new textures to break up the palette a bit, liking the results so far
zrrion the insect

zrrion the insect

Re: [WIP]Retro Alphabet Showdown v2.0 update 4/2020

https://www.mediafire.com/file/6209ovy1 ... 0.pk3/file

Updated with a new map. Don't forget to update 64k+ when you play the new map.
Dynamo

Re: [WIP]Retro Alphabet Showdown v2.0 update 4/2020, new map

Post by Dynamo »

I missed the release of the demo completely, so I'm a first time player here. Overall I really enjoyed the maps (MAP01, MAP03 and MAP04), with the first one being the weakest of the three as it's a tad too linear and flat, but not bad for an opener by any means, while 03 and 04 are both very strong and interesting. The combat is fun and the item balance is well done, I felt shotgun ammo was at times a bit lacking in the final map, and also I really liked the use of portals in the last map and the 3D geometry. The detailing in general is quite nice and the custom textures are great obviously, although sometimes it can be a bit difficult to locate a particular switch or even key, I'm not sure if this is because their placement could be made a bit more obvious or it's simply because they use custom graphics I'm not accustomed to. Took me about an hour to get through it all and I did find most of the secrets. A few minor issues you may not be aware of:

https://i.imgur.com/LD4bC6F.png - This backpack-looking item gives the "You got a pickup." message when grabbing it, which I imagine is unintentional.

https://i.imgur.com/54BiwtN.png https://i.imgur.com/tyyYrtw.png - On this section of the map, two Cacodemons appear to be stuck on top of eachother for me, not sure if this is a mapping error or some weird thing that happened due to portals, but figured I'd bring it up anyway.

Looking forward to more maps!
zrrion the insect

For the first issue I had "Backpackitem replaces Backpack" instead of "Backpack replaces Backpack" so that's a simple typo. the 2nd issue is presumably an issue with portals, I'll mess around with thing positions and see if I can't get it working better. there doesn't appear to be a cacodemon placed near this line so I think it really is just getting stuck on the portal. I've changed some linedefs to block monsters to keep them away from the portal line. Hopefully that solves things. I also missed the thing placement for one of the switches so I'll have to fix that too.

MAP01 could stand for a bit of a rework in a few parts, namely the return after getting the blue key perhaps. It's the first map so I'm fine with it being a bit more simple than the other maps but I think improving at least that part of it would help, maybe adding a hallway between the red door and the teleported room would be good too.

MAP04 is not meant to have much shotgun combat so the ammo for the shotgun is intentionally limited. I want the player to be relying on the chainsaw and chaingun to do most of the heavy lifting with the rocket launcher and shotgun rounding things out so it doesn't get samey.
zrrion the insect

testing out some themes for an additional level. not entirely sure what I'm doing yet other than getting distracted making joke sprites. I think I've gotten most everything tweaked for a small update to fix a few things (both here and for 64k+) I'm terrible with getting things out on time so no real ETA on that.

Return to “Levels”