dead.air - v2

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Gez

Re: dead.air - v2

Post by Gez »

The pillar with that soulsphere is lowered when you flick a switch or cross a line, I forgot. It also unleashes a few cacos.
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

Gez wrote:The pillar with that soulsphere is lowered when you
Spoiler:
Thanks a lot to confirm it's achievable without jumping, although you should kept the spoilers hidden. :P
Last edited by MaxRideWizardLord on Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Doesn't help when you quote him just as plainly as he typed it.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Thanks for the screens -- those spots don't seem gamebreaking, fortunately, but every bit helps.

The one required-damage segment has a Soulsphere in front of it (red arena entrance), but since someone else pointed it out as well, I'm planning on pointing a dedicated teleport there so the damage bit can be bypassed. If that double-helps. :P
MaxRideWizardLord

Xaser wrote:Thanks for the screens -- those spots don't seem gamebreaking, fortunately, but every bit helps.

The one required-damage segment has a Soulsphere in front of it (red arena entrance), but since someone else pointed it out as well, I'm planning on pointing a dedicated teleport there so the damage bit can be bypassed. If that double-helps. :P
Yeah I just noticed. Not trying to be too spicy here, but I was really unhappy with red area at all... Not only you're forced to take damage out of simply entering it, but you're spawn in a position where you're faced face to face with loadsa enemies and literally has no place to cover or dodge, playing it on nightmare dififculty where enemies have super fast projectiles and spam these like every 0.5 sec makes it close to impossible without maniacally running from medkit to medkit in a hope some enemies will fight each other rather than you. It kinda hardly makes any sense, especially considering that green zone was rather easy, blue much harder and red just insanely hard and impossible for perfect run. :blergh:

There is even worse situation though. In the last stage, where you running in a circle with hordes of enemies, the cacos shot their projectiles at the speed of strafe-running player, yet these are seeking projectiles, yet the only way to defeat cacos is by circle-runing, which means there will be gathered so many projectiles that will lag your PC hell out of you. But at least there are still walls around so if you're tricky\lucky enough you can make all these projectiles collaps against these walls. It's even worse when cyberdemons appears, and now there is no walls at all. On Nightmare difficulty, they just can't stop spaming their homing shit, which is again is about the speed of a strafe-runing player, and they spam it soooooo many that it start lags withing 5 seconds. Originally due to slower projectile speed compared to player's speed, I would just trick the rockets to hit nearby cybers with centrifugal effect, but it seems the game wasn't really tested so well for nightmare difficulty, even though enemies respawn was taken away. I couldn't even beat this map with godmode on, not only I was pushed around in the sky like some beachball but it made my fps about 0.05 or something, so the only way I clear this stage by freezing the time and just spam my cheat invisible projectiles. So unless you have some NASA super computer, this part is literally impossible without making your computer just melting out of endless spam of projectiles. :(

Not to sound like complete newb, but I'd like if there were some walls at the (last circular entrance) at least when fighting cybers and something do with their insane fast projectile speed. Or in fact, increase the projectile speed like 2-3x times so you could actually be able to dodge these rather than making these endlessly follow you and have no other option to let them eventually kill you as there no other possible way to make them just hit something else and vanish. And I'd like some rework of red entrance, to make it be possible to dodge or give the player some handicap by placing some secret with invulnerability sphere nearby so you won't get killed the moment you enter there.
Last edited by MaxRideWizardLord on Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

The Grafter (cyberdemon) fight is going to be redone. There will likely be no homing projectiles.
MaxRideWizardLord

Xaser wrote:The Grafter (cyberdemon) fight is going to be redone. There will likely be no homing projectiles.
Thanks a lot for understanding! :D

Also, sorry for awful english. What I meant is my pc start laging a lot after 5 seconds, NOT 5 minutes! Had massive headache that day, yet I was trying to test your mod thoroughly to give as objective critique of issues as only possible.

I really hope the red stage will be reworked too, as it seems a bit impossible to survive on nightmare difficulty there. Some coverage or invulnerability sphere to deal with beginning monsters is necessary there, and with either of these added I bet it would be even possible to beat the game perfectly by not getting hit once if you know how to play tactically and dodge.

Also, I've discovered a one more places where can jump with +jump exploit, that places aren't exactly gamebreaking but it can be abused to make these annoying hyper-speed pinkies not be able to reach you, still not much of use since you can just run past the corridor till you climb on lader near these pillars with soulsphere and blaster. Anyway, that place is on that techno-wall in corner where revenant is hiding, and on top is the computer-monitor thingy. If you're interested, I can make screenshot of it.
nazakomu
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by nazakomu »

I am going to try this out tonight! It looks fun! :)
MaxRideWizardLord

OMG!!

Sorry to brag about it, but... I finally did it!! Beat the whole Dead Air v2 on Nightmare! without cheating nor jumping or ducking even once! This is probably my most tiresome experience in doom mod playthrough, because not only the mod itself got in the way, but rather limited computer specs got in the way.

Just come here to say it's actually possible to beat this mod on Nightmare! without cheating, bug using, exploits, third party programs, nor even jumping or ducking; even on a very weak ass PC (like the one I have) as long as you have a good imagination. 8-) Took me like a week of replaying that finaly part a few times a day, untill I eventually give up, but then I figured a tiny unobvious map's feature. :P I myself thought it would be impossible considering how it start laging after a 5-7 seconds once cybers notice you, but I DID IT!! Never again.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Congrats! That's something the author of the mod hasn't even managed. :P

[Not that I've tried, or anything. D:]

Hopefully the attempt didn't result in a broken keyboard or shattered monitor. Though if it did, I'm not apologizing. :P
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

To not break anything while playing the game; Get Practice and Patient. ;)
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

I believe the classical phrasing is "Git Gud". :P
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Yus, that's the same thing!
Gez

Post by Gez »

Xaser wrote:I believe the classical phrasing is "Git Gud". :P
I'm sad this isn't the official title of the Git help thread.
MaxRideWizardLord

Xaser wrote:Congrats! That's something the author of the mod hasn't even managed. :P

[Not that I've tried, or anything. D:]

Hopefully the attempt didn't result in a broken keyboard or shattered monitor. Though if it did, I'm not apologizing. :P
Thanks for congratulations mate! :D No, I can control myself, so all stayed safe as ever. 8-) And considering the nightmare difficulty is lack of endlessly resurrecting enemies (which is a good thing), that implies the author of this mod (assumingly you alone) intended to make this mod be beatable on such difficulty, so I'd recommend you to experience such sensation yourself and try to beat your own mod on your own hardest difficulty. :lol:

Return to “Levels”