dead.air - v2

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
wavelength121

Re: dead.air - v2

Post by wavelength121 »

Please make the keycard arena areas more fair. I took the red route first and got tired of dying from endlessly spawning installkillers. Also, having the monster counter increase as your progress is cheap, cheap, cheap. Put a lid on that crap and show some self-restraint.

Sincerely,

A long-time Doom player.
Coal48

Post by Coal48 »

Hello, first time posting here

Can't get the mod to work, get this message when booting

Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

I guess you should update your Gzdoom? Also welcome to the Zdoom Forum.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

wavelength121 wrote:Put a lid on that crap and show some self-restraint.
Welcome to the forums; I'd appreciate if your criticism were a bit less abrasive in the future. As displeased as I'm sure you are, that's not the kind of criticism that gets listened to, especially not when similarly phrased criticism recently caused a major developer to abandon his project.
Coal48

Post by Coal48 »

Captain J wrote:I guess you should update your Gzdoom? Also welcome to the Zdoom Forum.
Thanks, I downloaded the latest v.2.3.2 GZDoom and it works now
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Well, cool! Glad folks are giving his a look -- that Icarus review was quite flattering and Joel finally got 'round to playing it too (albeit the really rough version I submitted to the contest). I haven't forgotten about it myself either, but these enemy sprite edits I'm making are taking some time (and have been bumped down the priority list a bit in favor of Other Things™).
Eruanna wrote:Thumbnail's certainly fitting for this mod, isn't it? :P
There's a distinct possibility. Or perhaps not. It's difficult to pry a clear answer from the static.
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

I played through this the other day. I liked it a lot! There are some really awesome encounters and the visual style is awesome. I think the grenade launcher could be made a bit interesting, compared to the other (fantastic) weapons it's kind of bland. I did like the arena you get it in though, Dropping grenades into non-activated ambush tubes was neat. The finale was really cool, but I feel like the homing cyberdemon rockets could be made slightly slower. Good stuff!
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Aside from giving the 'nades a power/speed boost (which I'm frankly tempted to do at this point), any suggestions? The GL seems to be the least-loved of the weapons and I don't wish to neglect it, but I dunno what to do with it exactly. So long as it still remains the "shoot stuff into pits" weapon for that one part. :P

Those boss rockets are going to not home in the final release. That bit's pending rework to make it more interesting, though verdict's still out on what it'll be.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

Making the grenade explosions look more powerful would be a start.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Xaser wrote:That bit's pending rework to make it more interesting, though verdict's still out on what it'll be.
Maybe take a page straight from Blizzard's book - and do @health% attacks - like once they hit 50%, do some special attack, then when they hit 25 do it again, something that's easily dodgeable, but quite fatal if you don't - like maybe a floor stomp or something. If you do that, you could get away with making the rockets just normal rockets, I think, and it makes the encounter just a hit-em-and-dodge-everything with a little bit of spice to it.
Gez

Post by Gez »

I do like their climb-then-crash behavior, perhaps simply give them a shorter active lifespan.

Also there's a thing that annoys me with the red arena, it's that you're apparently obligated to jump down to start and since teleportation from the floor hurts you in the arenas, that means inescapable damage. Generally a bad thing to do; always give players a chance to avoid receiving damage.
MasoGuy
Location: Walking the Earth (There was no more room in hell...)

Post by MasoGuy »

Xaser wrote:Aside from giving the 'nades a power/speed boost (which I'm frankly tempted to do at this point), any suggestions? The GL seems to be the least-loved of the weapons and I don't wish to neglect it, but I dunno what to do with it exactly. So long as it still remains the "shoot stuff into pits" weapon for that one part. :P
I feel like the GL is suffering more from its audio/visual presentation than its damage and clunkyness (though it could certainly use some tweaks there). However I'm not sure what I would do, or how improvements could be made there. I had two (probably bad) ideas off the top of my head for alternate mechanics I wanted to bounce (pun?) off of you for the GL. (Though they might change the identity too much, or god forbid make the weapon more clunky)

1. Have a charge mechanic that increases the range the longer it is charged.

2. Perhaps don't have it arc, but give it a remote detonation alt fire that releases a payload beneath the projectile at the time of detonation

I dig the map, enemy design, and arsenal. I would really enjoy seeing a multiple level megawad done in this theme, and maybe a separate gameplay wad for the weapons.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

You know, i have no complains with GL except you guys said, lack of visual and audio effects and detonates way too late.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Xaser, does this game have Jump Scares? Sorry for sounding kinda wussy, but heart problems talk louder.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I can tell you from my own play through there are at least several points where I didn't expect things to happen - I think the scariest by far is the first time when I saw the modified Cacodemons.

Being (relatively*) healthy myself, I am not sure how things like that would affect you, but I can tell you from personal experience those Cacodemons did make me jump and they did give me the creeps. The noises are creepy, and their projectiles are creepy. Nothing that seemed overly intense (certainly not a "Scream" movie type scare), but not completely dull, either.

Return to “Levels”