dead.air - v2

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Xaser

Re: dead.air - v2

Post by Xaser »

I did remove enemy respawning since I wanted to at least bring it down to the "technically possible" level, but I'd better leave the execution to folks who are technically capable -- i.e. not me. :P

[Also, welp, I need to finish some gorram enemy sprites so I can update this. Hooray, the usual slowdown vector!]
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

Xaser wrote:I did remove enemy respawning since I wanted to at least bring it down to the "technically possible" level, but I'd better leave the execution to folks who are technically capable -- i.e. not me. :P

[Also, welp, I need to finish some gorram enemy sprites so I can update this. Hooray, the usual slowdown vector!]
so new enemies being added? Sounds Interesting! I hope to see update to the red key room, so it would be "technically possible" to beat the game in a perfect run on a nightmare, i.e. not getting hit once. :D
Osiris Kalev

Post by Osiris Kalev »

Holy doom, Xaser!

I haven't played whatever this is a sequel to (though I want to go and find it now), but wow, this level is awesome. Each weapon feels like it has a purpose and I love how when you get them, you give the player a scenario that gives an understanding of their uses (the red room comes to mind the most). And the atmosphere of it all. It's creepy and fast paced all at once. The cacodemons give me the biggest creepy vibe.

Still trying to figure out the 6th secret of the level. It must be well hidden.
Jaapio

Post by Jaapio »

Awesome mod! I usually play Duke3D mods but I am glad I tried this.
Ikazu-san

Post by Ikazu-san »

The more I think about this thing, the more I want standalone gameplay mod version.
I took some liberties and made science. Now I want it official even more.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Just played this. Holy crap it's insane. Love those surreal level designs. I'm just curious is this even beatable on UV?
Darkrune

Post by Darkrune »

Despite being genuinely terrified through out this entire map, I quite enjoyed it. Those faceless demons will haunt my nightmares for many weeks to come.
Most of the weapons feel good to use and I swear the Ion Blaster uses the sound effects for the different lasers in Descent 2.
And correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the grenade launcher uses the explosion sound effect from Descent 2 as well?
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

Ikazu-san wrote:The more I think about this thing, the more I want standalone gameplay mod version.
I took some liberties and made science. Now I want it official even more.
I second this proposal! :D
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Hmm, I should be able to set it up so that dead-air.pk3 itself is loadable with other maps and have it Just Work™. I believe the only thing that's stopping it at the moment is the fact the map is named MAP01, and that's an easy change. The monsters and weapons already replace their Doom counterparts, so that part should be good to go.
Amuscaria wrote:I'm just curious is this even beatable on UV?
MaxRideWizardLord managed to get through it on the Nightmare-equivalent (it's basically UV-fast), so the answer is "certainly yes, despite the mapper being an evil farg."

At any rate, it's great to hear folks are still enjoying it! I haven't forgotten about revamping the Grafter fight, but I'm doing my usual distraction-spree. I'll get back to this at some point, though I may need to bug someone about spritework assistance or I'll be stuck on that part for aeons. :P
Darkrune

Post by Darkrune »

I didn't find the Grafter fight that hard, even in UV.
You just need to save the partial invisibility for that part of the fight and smash them down before it runs out.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

One part of it's the difficulty, but the other bit is that the fight just isn't interesting, IMO. Either you die immediately, save the invis, or figure out the proper circle-straferun-spam technique and do so incessantly. That part was rather rushed since the contest deadline was about to clonk me in the face, and I haven't yet revisited the fight.

I've got a more interesting setup in mind now that ought to take advantage of the environment more. That and a fittingly-spoopy sprite edit. ;)
Darkrune

Post by Darkrune »

Hey, I'm all for improvements on this great map ^^
Ikazu-san

Post by Ikazu-san »

Xaser wrote:Hmm, I should be able to set it up so that dead-air.pk3 itself is loadable with other maps and have it Just Work™. I believe the only thing that's stopping it at the moment is the fact the map is named MAP01, and that's an easy change.
Well, there's also a certain weapon using unusual type and amount of ammo for it's kind. Killing an archvile with only 8 shells feels kinda cheap, but I'm sure it's very easy to fix.
Attachments
CELPB0.png
CELPB0.png (629 Bytes) Viewed 1264 times
Turret49

Post by Turret49 »

Sorry for the necro(?) but I just wanted to give some feedback since I'm playing this for the first time and got stuck.
Xaser wrote:Jumping is optional, but shouldn't break anything. There's at least one tricky leap I'm planning on making a bit easier to reach without hitting the jump key; if there's any others (or a place where you think you've jumped to somewhere that ought to be unreachable), lemme know.
In the green grenade launcher area there's these hollow cylinders around the place, you can jump into one of them from one of the stairwells, I did this thinking it would lead to a secret (as it's a ZDoom map that doesn't disable jumping), instead it was full of imps, and now I'm stuck inside the cylinder with no way out but to cheat or reload save. You could probably do this with other stairwells, too.
Spoiler: Images
EDIT: Well I'm a dummy, after looking in the editor it seems I was meant to shoot at the cylinder walls to make it lower. I didn't think to do that at all because I was holding a grenade launcher and usually the use key is used to get out of things like this.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Well, shoot! I didn't consider you could jump into those cylinders from above. I'll add a "press use to escape" feature to the buglist.

Thanks for the report, and hope you're having fun with it otherwise!

Return to “Levels”