Doom 2 deathmatch version 0.1

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
XASSASSINX

Doom 2 deathmatch version 0.1

Post by XASSASSINX »

NOTE: This is 0.1 because i already posted the first version on some other places (Like the doom reddit)
So, Here is a 0.1 version of my wad.http://www.mediafire.com/file/qxaq7cjc7 ... 282%29.wad
Updates:
* Fixed Some doors that you could only open one time.
* Changed some things on MAP02 (and in some others maps too) (E.G: New dead marine on the hallway with a few supplies, Changed that computer room...)
* You can now get BFG9000 at every map! (Side note: I only made 7 maps adpated, So when i say that you can get BFG9000 every map i mean the first 7)
* New! MAP 6 and MAP 7 Is adpated to deathmatch.
* Alot of bugs fixed.

What the hell is this wad?
This wad turn the first 7 doom maps (I'm planning to do more) Into deathmatch adpated! Please tell me critics, suggestions or anything else in the comments!
isaacpop23

Re: Doom 2 deathmatch version 0.1

Post by isaacpop23 »

I just did a fairly short run-through of all 7 maps and noticed a few problems:
Getting to the BFGs on maps 1, 2, 4, and 5 requires looking at the maps in an editor, there are no clues to the triggers or where they are, they're indistinguishable from their surroundings. (Also on 4 and 5 they need keys to open, not sure this matters too much, but since I wasn't actually in deathmatch I got confused. Should be fine for it's intentional purpose though)

Most of the bars in the area leading to the Red Key (normally) are invisible, they act as if they normally do in the original map, but simply aren't visible.

Quite a few textures that are offset, not that big a deal, but something to look out for if you look back at them.

Now onto more subjective items (Disagree with them all you want, just suggestions):

Some areas seem to just be loaded with weapons, as in if you go there you have over half your arsenal. Examples being the high ledge where the imp cages normally are on The Crusher, and the lowered Rocket pedestal on The Gantlet. Might want to spread things out a bit more.

The drop into the darkened tunnels on Underhalls were cut, not sure why, it creates a dead-end that you could easily get cornered in, the tunnels allow for at least a chance to escape or turn the tide by catching them with barrels.

The used-to-be secret on the Gantlet looks odd with the water just stopping, maybe raise up the rim by a tiny bit or make the textures within waterfalls?

Is the BFG in the cut-off part of the Crusher there just as a taunt? Not really saying to remove it, I just couldn't figure it out.

Are two other BFGs on The Crusher really necessary? If they were far apart I'd understand, but they seem to be (relatively) right next to each other.

Same with the boss heads on most of the maps, they're there just to be there?

A lot of areas got cut off, the beginning and end of The Gantlet, the end of the Waste Tunnels, half of The Crusher, could you just not make them work or that you felt that they were fine as they were?
XASSASSINX

Post by XASSASSINX »

Heeey... Thanks for criticsm, This is my first wad that i am posting. I will try to improve it. Most of the adpations were kinda made to be played with bots. That's why i removed alot of elevators, Because bots are really stupid to use them. The bosses heads are just a """Funny""" Easteregg. They're on areas that are impossible to reach. And about the 2 BFG's on the crusher, Are you talking about that one in the middle of that 2 boxes and that behind the door? If yes, I didn't get your criticism. That BFG behind the door is impossible to get, It's just a way to "troll" People, Thinking that i would put a BFG on such a simple place. Also, I cut alot of areas since i don't wanna that to be a slow deathmatch, Like i said, The WAD Is kinda adpated to be used with bots. So it make's the gameplay frenetic and (I guess) Fun.
Getting to the BFGs on maps 1, 2, 4, and 5 requires looking at the maps in an editor, there are no clues to the triggers or where they are, they're indistinguishable from their surroundings
But... Secrets on both doom games are like that, Just think a bit and you will probably find them.
The used-to-be secret on the Gantlet looks odd with the water just stopping, maybe raise up the rim by a tiny bit or make the textures within waterfalls?
Yeah, I know that. But here is the problem: I CAN'T FIND THE GODAMN WATERFALL TEXTURE. I'm not joking, It's not on there. Maybe because i'm using doom 2 format to edit it...?
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Tapwave »

XASSASSINX wrote:WATERFALL TEXTURE. I'm not joking, It's not on there. Maybe because i'm using doom 2 format to edit it...?
Doom has no waterfall texture.
XASSASSINX

Post by XASSASSINX »

Oh. That's make sense.
isaacpop23

Post by isaacpop23 »

Tapwave wrote:Doom has no waterfall texture.
Really? Thought it did, whoops.

But on the Crusher, NOT including the unavailable behind the blocked door, there are two BFGs. Kinda close to each other. Based on your response I imagine that you forgot about the first one?
Spoiler:
XASSASSINX

Post by XASSASSINX »

Hey! I kinda stopped working on this, So, yeah... And you're right about the two acessible BFG's, But i changed it and now in the place of the BFG there's two rockets. But i didn't upload it on here, Though.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

So...this is levels, right? Not gameplay changes?
XASSASSINX

Post by XASSASSINX »

Yeah.
Expect No Mercy

Post by Expect No Mercy »

I wished someone could make bots like in Q3A. :wub:
XASSASSINX

Post by XASSASSINX »

Yeah. At least this work a bit with bots. Like i said, I removed lots of elevators and "Complex" Parts. So it makes the game faster and more frenetic. And also removed them because bots are stupid. So it's easier for them to run around.

Return to “Levels”