[Community Project] 20 Monsters Challenge [RELEASED!]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Nevander

Re: 20 Monsters Challenge

Post by Nevander »

Sign me up, I'd like to make a small 20 monster map. Should be a fun challenge.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Done.

How's the deadline, folks? Should I move it or is it fine that way?
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

Hey, can I send you a map that I'm making. It's a basic one. Maybe after 9:00 pm.
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

Sign me up, I think I can whip up something.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

@Jeimuzu73: Done.

@leodoom85: Just post a link and I'll put it in the main post. As long as it fits the rules, though.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Quick question: is the map limited to 20 monsters period? Because you could have 20 placed on the map, but when 5 specific ones die you could script it to spawn 5 more elsewhere... little loophole there I think we should clear up because I'm sure it would have been asked eventually.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Damn, that's a tough question. I'm not sure what ww had in mind. He just gave me the idea by accident. I suppose it's 20 period. Later on I might make a 12 monsters at a time challenge, like suggested, A.K.A. SnapMap Simulator.

The idea of this challenge is to see how interesting a map could be with just 20 monsters overall. Give ztktx something to think about.

The map ratings will be user-based and not with a judge. It's all votes. If I can manage to fit them in the poll box... My point is that this is a small challenge with small maps. There won't be any prizes or anything, I'm doing this for the hell of it, just like everyone else, probably.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

A question, can I put another sky texture, like the Plutonia sky? Because a sky can be used without the TEXTURES lump, maybe I'm wrong.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Lud wrote:Damn, that's a tough question. I'm not sure what ww had in mind. He just gave me the idea by accident. I suppose it's 20 period. Later on I might make a 12 monsters at a time challenge, like suggested, A.K.A. SnapMap Simulator.
That's right, I pretty much meant twenty monsters, ever. Ztktx relies entirely too much on hordes of big monsters as a source of "challenge" and I feel like a good lesson is to see if you can make a hard level without that kind of crutch, and instead make careful use of monster placement and the occasional well placed teleport trap.
Gothic

Post by Gothic »

It's been so long since I made a zdoom map. Sign me in.
Popsoap10

Post by Popsoap10 »

leodoom85 wrote:A question, can I put another sky texture, like the Plutonia sky? Because a sky can be used without the TEXTURES lump, maybe I'm wrong.
I can't speak for Lud, but I'd assume that would be fine.
lil'devil

Post by lil'devil »

Sign me up. I'll try to make something.

Also, why is chaingunner on the list? I thought he's more dangerous then cacodemon.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

Popsoap10 wrote:
leodoom85 wrote:A question, can I put another sky texture, like the Plutonia sky? Because a sky can be used without the TEXTURES lump, maybe I'm wrong.
I can't speak for Lud, but I'd assume that would be fine.
If that is correct, then I'm ready to submit. Thanks, man.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

lil'devil wrote:Also, why is chaingunner on the list? I thought he's more dangerous then cacodemon.
Maybe, but you can't take out a Cacodemon with a few Chaingun bullets.
BillGuy

Post by BillGuy »

This sounds fun. If you still need participation you can count me in.

Return to “Levels”