[Community Project] 20 Monsters Challenge [RELEASED!]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Accensus

Re: [Community Project] 20 Monsters Challenge [RELEASED!]

Post by Accensus »

Thank you for playing! We really appreciate it!

A few notes from The Lud :P :
- The issue you see on MAP39 is an engine-side scaling issue. I think that's been fixed by now. Not completely sure, though.
- The secret to MAP31 is on MAP15, but it needs observation and interaction. I can say this much.
- Same for MAP38 - observation.
- Two things on MAP40. I was kind of against the "FFFFFFFffffffuck" factor, but 3 vs 1 is overwhelming. :D Another thing is that you didn't mention the hell beams that rained death from above during the 2nd wave of the Cacodemons, so first thing I thought was "pls don't tell me that shit's broken..." Were they present during the fight?

One more thing. What are your thoughts on the ending? If you don't wish to spoil, please PM me. I'll be sure to spread the word to the teammates. :D

And lmfao @ mangled hellfruit. I'm writing that down, man.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

DavidN wrote:Aha, that makes sense... I understand why the change had to be made. And wow, that's a major celebrity you grew up near as far as I'm concerned :) I've felt for ages that the technology is there to recreate it, with Youtube and VR and everything, but nobody has! "Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes" is kind of close, with one player giving instructions and one doing the actions...

I tried out playing Doom Knightmare-style once. We should really have turned the vertical aiming off, though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ29d2FMGkI

Anyway - here are the rest :) Thanks to everyone for a great team project!
Spoiler: Maps 36 to 42
And finally...

MAP00 - Credits

What a great touch at the end :) Thank you to all the mappers and everyone who contributed to this project - and the organizers did great work in tying together a disparate set of maps by very different authors! I keep on saying that I'd love to participate or organize one of these eventually, and some time I'll manage it...
David, in map 38, there's a secret easter egg 8-)
DavidN

Post by DavidN »

Glad you found my thoughts useful, and thanks for the tips :) I worked out MAP15's secret with your pointers, but had to go into GZDB to find the last place to damage, the one in the far-off little room. I remain completely stumped on MAP38 - I know what I have to do thanks to a peek in the editor again, but I can't find the route outside... and I thought you might have to shoot them by finding windows that faced them, but the windows block bullets!

And whoops, I didn't mean to scare you (actually, you allowed the map pack to shove a hissing Cacolord in my face - I don't care if I scared you ;) ) - the hell beams were definitely there during the fight and the effect looked great, I was just lucky enough never to touch one and so didn't realize it was any more than an effect :)

As for thoughts on the ending,
Spoiler:
Last edited by DavidN on Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

DavidN wrote:Glad you found my thoughts useful, and thanks for the tips :) I worked out MAP15's secret with your pointers, but had to go into GZDB to find the last place to damage, the one in the far-off little room. I remain completely stumped on MAP28 - I know what I have to do thanks to a peek in the editor again, but I can't find the route outside... and I thought you might have to shoot them by finding windows that faced them, but the windows block bullets!

And whoops, I didn't mean to scare you (actually, you allowed the map pack to shove a hissing Cacolord in my face - I don't care if I scared you ;) ) - the hell beams were definitely there during the fight and the effect looked great, I was just lucky enough never to touch one and so didn't realize it was any more than an effect :)

As for thoughts on the ending,
Spoiler:
Map 28? Don't you mean map 38?
DavidN

Post by DavidN »

I do - muscle memory, I knew the map was two before the end!
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

DavidN wrote:I do - muscle memory, I knew the map was two before the end!
Ok. The part about the windows is intentional, all the windows have the blocking flag, except one. And to go outside, you need to find a secret :)
NAG

Post by NAG »

DavidN wrote:I'm not sure if this is the intention, but it's more like a puzzle map, having to work out how best to use your limited resources against the overwhelming opposition.
This was indeed the intention (my route was: Kill sergeants > Use shotguns to kill chaingunners > Get red key > Call elevator and use chaingun to kill cacodemon > Take elevator down and get chainsaw > Kill pinky, specter and cacodemons with chainsaw > Get rocket launcher > Get bio suit from chaingunner room > Run to end room and kill everything using the rocket launcher).

I was hoping the player would be encouraged to find various solutions to get around the lack of ammo (you can get the chaingunners to kill the cacodemons through the windows, for example) but I clearly wound up making the map too difficult to be really enjoyable.

Thank you for taking the time to play through the whole wad and providing feedback for all of us!
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

I'll admit that I found the map to be fairly easy. I did die, but that was due to lack of fast reactions in key moments. It's a slower-paced map. More thought, less pew pew.
kadu522
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by kadu522 »

Lud wrote:I'll admit that I found the map to be fairly easy. I did die, but that was due to lack of fast reactions in key moments. It's a slower-paced map. More thought, less pew pew.
Which is good in my opinion. :)
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

I wanted to like this, but I'm not a fan of forced inventory reset, especially seeing as there's a rather nasty segment in MAP02 where I'm cornered in a 64-wide crate corridor and all I can do is hope I have enopugh health to kill the Spectre with my pea shooter while he is casually tearing lumps out of me. I had a shotgun not two minutes earlier.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

It was either the inventory reset or breaking of balance once someone decided to put a plasma rifle on MAP05. Considering the 20 monster limit and goal of this project, this was the only way out that is slightly more enjoyable than unbalanced gameplay.
hammer oz

Post by hammer oz »

Good day I seem to be stuck on map 19

I just entered the what i imagine if some sort of helipad past the yellow door and i have no idea what to do from hear on out :?:
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

That's the exit, but you gotta kill everything in the level. It was too much of a bother to change it so I left it. Just use "kill monsters" in console if you don't like searching.
Albertoni

Post by Albertoni »

That was quite some fun. Props to map 39, the huge areas plus the low amount of enemies kept me jumpy all the time.
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

Tried playing this in Doom Delta, and Map16 didn't feel like starting up.

Return to “Levels”