Hodgepodge [final update]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
IdiotBitz
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Hodgepodge v0.3 [Test #2] (Update: 3/7/18)

Post by IdiotBitz »

Hodgepodge v0.3 Test #2 has been released. Thank you to those who've been patient for the past 3 months. :P

Test #2 features a whole list of improvements. Check the OP for more details.

Here's a changelog I definitely did not copy/paste from the OP.
Spoiler:
IdiotBitz

Re: Hodgepodge v0.3 [Test #2] (Update: Pg. 3)

Post by IdiotBitz »

Hey there, it's been a while (again) since I posted an update. Back in my last post, I had the assumption that I would be able to devote more time into working on these maps, however, some IRL stuff happened, and that was not the case.

Either way, I've been working on and off on the mod for the past two weeks and I've got some things done that I can share to let you know that this mod is still not dead.

1. I've been working on improving compatibility with the more complicated gameplay mods. One thing I noticed is that how I had done attaching scripts to keycards would cause certain mod added keycards to break the map. To remedy this, I added an optional script as a workaround for this issue. This script is one that will run constantly until you pick up a keycard, so for the sake of ACS, do yourself a favor and only turn this on if you actually encounter the issue. Another thing I had noticed is the performance hit my maps had caused due to my use of line portals. With each portal I added, my frames dropped by ~25%. So, instead of relying on Zandronum's lack of features, you can now disable line portals from the menu. Also, line portals are now only available when running the Addon mod, since if you can't run the addon, you can't use line portals either. This was actually something I wanted to add before, but I had known a lot less about ACS than I do now, so I could never figure it out.

2. I have revamped the Addon mod. Many of the new things I want to add are already in it, but there are a few things I still need to add. Some of the new things include: More clear descriptions on what options do, the ability to change the level music WITHOUT restarting the level, the same goes for the skybox script, and just better organizing of the items in the actual menu itself. Also, regarding the menu, for any first-time user (well, anyone playing this specific version, that is), there will now be a pop-up appear the moment you load up my map for the first time, warning you to go to the hodgepodge menu before you start playing, so that people don't run into problems like running zandronum compatibility mode on GZDoom for instance. The first-time warning is disabled via an option on the main page for the mod menu.

I will release a new version of the mod once I fix some new jarring bugs and implement some important changes to all 3 maps. Once this is done, I can finally do what I promised long ago and finish the third map.
IdiotBitz

Re: Hodgepodge v0.3 [Test #2] (Update: Pg. 3)

Post by IdiotBitz »

Bonus update: Next version I release will be considered the release candidate for v0.3 and the finished level 3 will be pushed to v0.4. There's been a crazy amount of changes between v0.2 and now, regardless of the progress on map 3, it would be a bit silly not to.

Also here's this thing:

IdiotBitz

Re: Hodgepodge v0.3 [RC #1] (Update: 5/28/18)

Post by IdiotBitz »

That update I talked about in my previous post(s) is out. Grab it while it's hot.

Here's a changelog I copy/pasted from the OP.
Spoiler:
This update has pretty much everything I want to have in v0.3, except for a few core things still needed to be added. When everything for v0.3 is finished, I can work solely on getting what I need for v0.4, aka the third map, without any form of distraction. So hopefully I'll actually do it this time.

EDIT: I've also been thinking about doing video updates so I can better show off all of the new stuff I've worked on. I'd love to hear your feedback and thoughts on this.
Voltcom9

Post by Voltcom9 »

Video updates could be cool to see progress of the project,
isaacpop23

Post by isaacpop23 »

Ooh updates, all the fancy keys.

I typically don't care to watch many videos, but as long as there's a change-log and stuffs outside it, there's not much reason to not do it.
IdiotBitz

Re: Hodgepodge v0.3 [RC #2] (Update: 6/16/18)

Post by IdiotBitz »

New update time, this time making use of some old placeholder scripts I told myself I would do later. Also, I've found the sprites I've wanted for my replacer scripts in the Addon, only thing left to do is code them into the maps.
Here's a screenshot with some of the new stuff, including a revamped outdoor area for Map 2:

My exams are finished, so I will have a lot more time to work on these maps (maybe).

As usual, more info about the update and download links are already included in the updated OP, go there if you want that for some reason.

Also:
Voltcom9 wrote:Video updates could be cool to see progress of the project,
isaacpop23 wrote:Ooh updates, all the fancy keys.

I typically don't care to watch many videos, but as long as there's a change-log and stuffs outside it, there's not much reason to not do it.
I didn't really elaborate as to why I wanted to do video updates in the first place, so here's a little breakdown as to how I would handle them.
  • -The videos would not replace the posts and changelogs I already make now.
    -I wanted to do this because I felt like I can't really explain what's in an update from a simple wall of text. Things like scripted events are much better shown than told.
    -These videos would only be done whenever there is a major update, so that I don't spend more time making update videos than actually updating the mod. :D
    -It could potentially introduce the mod to a new audience. (That audience being youtube.)
But, this isn't really something that is absolutely needed, so there's no purpose in doing it if everyone else feels that there's no purpose to watching them.

Anyways, be sure to let me know of any bugs or such in this version of the mod, and also tell me if you find anything that very obviously breaks in Zandronum, so I can make myself a list of what I need to fix.

EDIT: Also, as a side note, I don't really like the fact the fact I've got to include the doom 1 texture pack for my custom texture script. I want to tinker around with making using Wadsmoosh a requirement to use the custom textures. This way, I won't have to worry about having stuff in my map I don't have the rights for, since the textures will already be in Wadsmoosh. I'm not saying I'm making Wadsmoosh a prerequisite to using Hodgepodge, or even the addon. Not everyone who owns DOOM 2 own all of the official doom titles. It would only be a requirement if you are using that specific script. Oh, and also this would mean that Zandronum users would get to use the texture script as well, since the addon wouldn't need to host the textures anymore, as soon as I fix the compatibility.
isaacpop23

Post by isaacpop23 »

Ran through all the available maps, and they're still fun to play through! The only problem I have is the obtuseness of some of the secrets. While I'm not going to make a comprehensive list right now, things like how to get into the teleporter room in the dark maze of map 02 (and by extension the Yellow key as well), took pulling up the map in Doom Builder to figure out (Given that this is a common issue for me, I'm starting to wonder if this is an issue on my end or if people just in general make painful secrets).

Meanwhile, I love all the stuff done to Map 01, the humor and such are great, I hope some of it makes its way into other maps.
IdiotBitz

Post by IdiotBitz »

isaacpop23 wrote:Ran through all the available maps, and they're still fun to play through! The only problem I have is the obtuseness of some of the secrets. While I'm not going to make a comprehensive list right now, things like how to get into the teleporter room in the dark maze of map 02 (and by extension the Yellow key as well), took pulling up the map in Doom Builder to figure out (Given that this is a common issue for me, I'm starting to wonder if this is an issue on my end or if people just in general make painful secrets).

Meanwhile, I love all the stuff done to Map 01, the humor and such are great, I hope some of it makes its way into other maps.
Thanks for the feedback. For me, the sweet spot for a good secret involves balancing the difficulty of finding it based on how much the secret item is worth. For example, finding the Super Shotgun in Map 2 should be a bit harder to find than finding some bonus medikits. When I originally made the secrets, I thought that these secrets would be easier to understand for people who have played through doom 1 and 2, since most of the secrets are directly based off their original counterparts, though looking back at it now, I thought maybe I should make finding the secrets a little less evil. :D I went back and did this in Map 1 in a previous update, and am currently in the process of doing the same to Map 2.

BONUS EDIT: I was looking around at the ZDoom wiki to look up about activating secrets via ACS, when I stumbled upon this page. I did not know this thing existed until now.
So, starting from now, if you are having trouble reaching a certain secret on one of my maps, you can use the 'secret' command in the console and it will pull up a detailed guide on how to reach every secret. Now, if you are the type of person who likes discovering things on their own, do NOT use this. This might spoil the fun of a secret being a secret.
IdiotBitz

Post by IdiotBitz »

Alright, I've surprisingly still been working on this mod since my last post 2 weeks ago. With this, I've got quite a few things to tell:

1. I will not release another iteration Hodgepodge until I have finished EVERYTHING i want in v0.3. This does not include Level 3, since that has now been pushed to v0.4.
2. There is now a brand new test level you can access via the options menu, called the "Hodgepodge Script Test Level". This level is there for me to test all of my important scripts and whatnot. If you are interested in getting a taste of some future content, here's your chance to do so.
3. The Wadsmoosh integration is now around 85% complete. All custom Doom 1 textures that were used by the addon now require Wadsmoosh to use. Custom skies also require Wadsmoosh. I've yet to replace the extra music. This does not mean Wadsmoosh is required to play this mod. It is only used for bonus custom stuff that is just mostly quality of life stuff.
4. The addon menu has been completely revamped. There is a seperate menu for skyboxes whenever you are using either Wadsmoosh or Doom 2.
5. In the addon menu there is now a copy of the changelog in this post's OP. In this menu, there is also a roadmap of what I plan to do in future versions of Hodgepodge, so that you can get a better picture of what to expect next from this mod.

Use this link to see screenshots of some new stuff that is now in Hodgepodge.

I also want to talk about some stuff that I want to do with this in the near future.

1. I want to reintegrate the Addon file back into the Main file. Why would I do this? The reason I made it a separate addon file in the first place is so that I can keep all of the non-Zandronum compatible stuff out. But at this point, Zandronum compatibility is broken beyond repair. If people don't have a problem with this, this means that loading the mod will become simpler, and more new and exciting features added in recent versions of GZDoom can be implemented. This also means that the mod will perform better due to it not having to run a new set of scripts just to compensate for Zandronum's lack of features.
2. After I have finished replacing all of the placeholder stuff with actual stuff and finish the scripts for level 2, I will declare v0.3 finished. After this, I can focus completely on making level 3 for v0.4. The currently unfinished version of v0.3 will probably have it's currently completed segments revamped in the process.
3. My current plans for reaching v1 of Hodgepodge involve implementing every script and actor I want to add, completing the 8 main levels and 3 secret levels for episode 1, and adding an optional custom boss fight. This will probably not happen for a few more years, though. If I somehow manage to complete v1, I can also work on making the other 2 episodes as well.

And that's all I got for now. I'm surprised that some of you have stuck around this mod for so long. It's only a couple months away from the 2 year anniversary of this mod's creation, and I haven't even gotten 3 complete maps out yet. Hopefully that will change in the future.
IdiotBitz

Re: Hodgepodge [final update]

Post by IdiotBitz »

hello. it's been a while, hasn't it? as you may have assumed from the title bar, i have decided to cease development of hodgepodge. i've posted more details in the original post, but here's a copy/pasted version of it so you don't have to click back to the first page.
Spoiler:

Return to “Levels”