Chex Quest 20th Anniversary Megawad: Galactic Conflict

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Chex Quest 20th Anniversary Megawad: Galactic Conflict

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:03 pm

In SLADE, I tried adding the line "music D_E1M1" under the E4M1 section in MAPINFO, but I still cannot hear any music.

What am I doing wrong?
JohnnyTheWolf
Banned User
 
Joined: 05 Oct 2015


Re: Chex Quest 20th Anniversary Megawad: Galactic Conflict

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:23 pm

Thanks, but... "popular demand"? Only two of us complained about the lack of music. :?

Anyway, still much appreciated!
JohnnyTheWolf
Banned User
 
Joined: 05 Oct 2015

Re: Chex Quest 20th Anniversary Megawad: Galactic Conflict

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:16 pm

Some feedback regarding E4M2:

The door to the large elevator takes a while to open, so this initially led me to think the switch activated something else. Since it is not immediately obvious that there is even an elevator behind the door, I just assume I had to backtrack. Not a big problem, but kind of annoying.

Also, how exactly do you get the secret under the floor in the hexagonal room?
JohnnyTheWolf
Banned User
 
Joined: 05 Oct 2015

Re: Chex Quest 20th Anniversary Megawad: Galactic Conflict

Postby Tifosi 92 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:14 pm

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Some feedback regarding E4M2:

The door to the large elevator takes a while to open, so this initially led me to think the switch activated something else. Since it is not immediately obvious that there is even an elevator behind the door, I just assume I had to backtrack. Not a big problem, but kind of annoying.

Also, how exactly do you get the secret under the floor in the hexagonal room?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :D

Try pressing the use button on the room's central pillar. :wink:
User avatar
Tifosi 92
 
Joined: 20 Aug 2016

Re: Chex Quest 20th Anniversary Megawad: Galactic Conflict

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:16 am

Oh, right! And I have completely forgotten about the "secret" command console... :?

Still, I am in E4M3 now, and even with the clue, I cannot figure out the last secret. I guess I have to lower the pillar near the end in order to reveal the secret teleporter, but I do not know how to do that.

Anyway, more observations:

How am I supposed to get this glass of water?
I need wawa.jpg


Also, small texture problem: the lockers on both sides look they have two doors!
The Odd Locker.jpg
The Other Odd Locker.jpg
JohnnyTheWolf
Banned User
 
Joined: 05 Oct 2015

Re: Chex Quest 20th Anniversary Megawad: Galactic Conflict

Postby Tifosi 92 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:02 pm

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Oh, right! And I have completely forgotten about the "secret" command console... :?

Still, I am in E4M3 now, and even with the clue, I cannot figure out the last secret. I guess I have to lower the pillar near the end in order to reveal the secret teleporter, but I do not know how to do that.

Anyway, more observations:

How am I supposed to get this glass of water?
I need wawa.jpg


Also, small texture problem: the lockers on both sides look they have two doors!
The Odd Locker.jpg
The Other Odd Locker.jpg

I love the names of the jpegs, lol.

The last secret is located on the only area of the level that isn't relevant to its progression. There are two paths through the level, and on each one, every room has either a key or a forcefield deactivator. Only one teleport destination on the level has no purpose other than housing a secret area--knowing this should make it a little easier to find, because if you've been everywhere there's one teleport destination that's very short. :P

The glass of water should be obtainable if you lean up against the desks from the inside of that counter (go beneath the curtains and sneak around).

Thanks for pointing out the texture glitches. There are about five instances of misaligned or incorrect textures throughout the whole game that I've found since I released it. If I have an update containing new features/critical bug fixes, I'll patch the textures. Otherwise, they'll have to stay as is for now because I'm way too busy to devote a lot of time to it.

Thanks for the continuing feedback! I hope you're enjoying the game. :D
User avatar
Tifosi 92
 
Joined: 20 Aug 2016

Re: Chex Quest 20th Anniversary Megawad: Galactic Conflict

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:22 pm

Tifosi 92 wrote:The last secret is located on the only area of the level that isn't relevant to its progression. There are two paths through the level, and on each one, every room has either a key or a forcefield deactivator. Only one teleport destination on the level has no purpose other than housing a secret area--knowing this should make it a little easier to find, because if you've been everywhere there's one teleport destination that's very short. :P


Not really helpful: I know there is a secret area, but I cannot get to the teleporter that leads to it because of said pillar.

Said pillar.jpg


Can't you just tell me what I have to do? :?

Tifosi 92 wrote:The glass of water should be obtainable if you lean up against the desks from the inside of that counter (go beneath the curtains and sneak around).


I thought about that myself, but a stool is preventing me from doing so.
JohnnyTheWolf
Banned User
 
Joined: 05 Oct 2015

Re: Chex Quest 20th Anniversary Megawad: Galactic Conflict

Postby Tifosi 92 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:48 pm

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Not really helpful: I know there is a secret area, but I cannot get to the teleporter that leads to it because of said pillar.

Said pillar.jpg


Can't you just tell me what I have to do? :?

Spoiler:
[/spoiler]

Tifosi 92 wrote:The glass of water should be obtainable if you lean up against the desks from the inside of that counter (go beneath the curtains and sneak around).


I thought about that myself, but a stool is preventing me from doing so.

Wow, you're right! I must've put that there for scenery purposes. That map was made a long time ago, lol. Sorry about that. :lol:
User avatar
Tifosi 92
 
Joined: 20 Aug 2016

Re: Chex Quest 20th Anniversary Megawad: Galactic Conflict

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:37 pm

Holy crap! I would have never found the last secret without your help. :shock:

Thanks a lot.
JohnnyTheWolf
Banned User
 
Joined: 05 Oct 2015

Re: Chex Quest 20th Anniversary Megawad: Galactic Conflict

Postby peewee_RotA » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:47 am

This looked amazing the moment I saw it. I'm really sorry for missing it when it was first posted. LOOOVE chex quest!


I loaded it up last night and it's really fun, you did a great job and captured the feel of the original very well.

My big criticism is the pillars on the teleporters. It's really obscure and it seems like a secret. In fact I think I removed one on level 3 but there's really no good way to know. I spend a long time looking all over maps to remove them and have yet to do so and be aware that it happened. I strongly recommend just removing them altogether, even if they are an important part of a secret or a later puzzle that I haven't hit yet. Most players don't have my kind of patience and determination and are likely to either give up on the wad altogether, or stop caring about secrets. And as this community should be painfully aware, losing interest in exploring is one of the top 5 problems with video games today. We should be rewarded for exploring, not punished or disappointed.

Obscure secrets are totally fine too. Everybody loves to come back to something in the future and find something they missed, but make obscure things less obvious so that they remain obscure, not frustrating.


I also want to point out that there are too many sections that force progression without the opportunity to go back and explore. Notable example is on the first level, the end level switch just looks like a way to open one of the two dozen doors that haven't opened yet. Think of Doom64. An otherwise amazing game, that punished you if you didn't spend hours and hours looking for every single secret before hitting the next room. Lots and lots of forced progression that didn't give you an opportunity to go back and find the important stuff that you missed.

*edit*
I went back through and tried this on a harder difficulty to see if it would be more fun if I didn't want to look for secrets, and it's quite possibly the most stingy game I've ever played. There are more coins in Mario 1 than there is ammo. There's not enough ammo on level 1 by a factor of roughly 8. I think that about an hour of my life this morning was spent using the spoon simply because there are tons of areas that can't be progressed through without killing almost every monster and there's an insultingly low amount of supplies.

So I'll try to be constructive, but I don't think there is a way to make this sound nice. First, do not use titles like "20th Anniversary" to imply it being official or being a loving remake unless you can back it up with something absolutely mind blowing. Second, get testers and feedback, it's obvious that 90% of this map pack is intended to be played by the creator and not an outside person looking in. Lastly, mapping is an art. Do things that "feel fun", never do things that seem clever. Every mapping contest on the planet is wrong. The subjective value "Fun" is the most important part of any content experienced in any game. Judging maps should look like this:

Textures X/10
Originality X/10
Music X/10
Architecture X/10
Fun and Gameplay X/10,000

Fun is a category that should be weighted to override everything else, and everything else should really serve as a tie breaker. People will play things that are fun but look like garbage, but they will not tolerate things that look amazing but play like garbage. So my advice to all mappers is to make your project as if it's being judged on the above scale. Gameplay first, visuals second. Or in the words of an expert:

Image
peewee_RotA
 
Joined: 07 Feb 2014

Re: Chex Quest 20th Anniversary Megawad: Galactic Conflict

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:30 pm

I am disappointed there has yet to be a proper video walkthrough for this megawad on Youtube. I gave up on it because some secrets were really too obscure or downright frustrating for my taste.

But yes, ammo scarcity is a real bummer as well.
JohnnyTheWolf
Banned User
 
Joined: 05 Oct 2015

Re: Chex Quest 20th Anniversary Megawad: Galactic Conflict

Postby Tifosi 92 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:31 pm

peewee_RotA wrote:This looked amazing the moment I saw it. I'm really sorry for missing it when it was first posted. LOOOVE chex quest!


I loaded it up last night and it's really fun, you did a great job and captured the feel of the original very well.

My big criticism is the pillars on the teleporters. It's really obscure and it seems like a secret. In fact I think I removed one on level 3 but there's really no good way to know. I spend a long time looking all over maps to remove them and have yet to do so and be aware that it happened. I strongly recommend just removing them altogether, even if they are an important part of a secret or a later puzzle that I haven't hit yet. Most players don't have my kind of patience and determination and are likely to either give up on the wad altogether, or stop caring about secrets. And as this community should be painfully aware, losing interest in exploring is one of the top 5 problems with video games today. We should be rewarded for exploring, not punished or disappointed.

Hi there!

I thought I'd set the board to notify me when replies to this topic were posted, but I never received any such e-mail. Nothing in my junk folders either, so oh well. First, a sincere thanks for playing through my wad! Not sure how much of this you finished, but I'm grateful when anyone bothers to check it out and take a look.

My goal was to capture the feel of the original–something that became my goal once it was apparent my mapping skills couldn't ascend the learning curve necessary to develop truly awesome maps given the amount of free time I had. As it stands, I probably poured over two or three thousand hours into this thing, including the time spent testing it. Giving up any more than that was out of the question, unfortunately, so I set my sights on something attainable, and that was emulating the feel of the original.

The secret areas are a little harsh, but they also come with clues–did you try typing the 'SECRET' command into the console? Some players have frowned on needing to use this, but I like the 'scavenger hunt' feel it gives, it's definitely different from other mods, and it reminds me of old-school games like Banjo-Kazooie where you could get cryptic hints that weren't a dead giveaway and still made you feel like you accomplished something. About midway through development I was considering making the secrets a little easier to find, but then stumbled upon the console command in the wiki and built them around that instead. I'm sorry if some of them are still a little difficult; my brother was my chief play tester (other than me) and he managed to find over half of them without any help or hints, so I figured they were fine.

The lack of ammo was one of the few ways I'd found to build difficulty into a game that lacked hitscanning enemies. That is intentional, and I tested all of the levels on Super Slimey! several times to ensure that there was enough ammo to get through if the Bootspoon is used on every Commonus/Bipedicus except in some cases where there are large groups. Finding the secrets makes ammo saving much easier. When testing, I was able to finish every level (save the last one) without saves on Super Slimey! and thus concluded the balance was about right. It's the toughest difficulty–it's supposed to be challenging. Gobs of Goo should match up with the level of difficulty found in Super Slimey! on the other episodes; if you haven't played through it all yet I'd recommend trying it on that. Additionally, finding the Super Bootspork in the third level makes saving ammo very easy on higher difficulties–you can find it in a secret area discussed earlier in the thread.

I don't mean any disrespect by saying it's a 20th anniversary wad. I was definitely banking on 'fun' over graphics, so I'm really sorry if I failed you on that. :( Maybe try finishing it on a lower difficulty first, then trying it again on a harder one?

To Johnny's point about a walkthrough as well: I actually had recorded demos for the first eight levels but they were rendered obsolete as new versions of ZDoom became available during development, and alas I couldn't remember which version they were recorded with, so I deleted them. I'd love to record walkthroughs if someone could give me an easier way to do it than the demo system; my skills aren't what they used to be so I don't think I'd be able to beat the levels Super Slimey! without saving again.

Thanks for your comments. It's really cool to me that anyone here is playing it. Hopefully this helps; if you have specific problems other than the ammo issues, let me know.
User avatar
Tifosi 92
 
Joined: 20 Aug 2016

Re: Chex Quest 20th Anniversary Megawad: Galactic Conflict

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:31 pm

So I started replaying the mapset with the intent of finishing it this time. However, I have found myself stuck in E1M2 and I seem unable to progress further.

In the area where you get the Red Key, more specifically on the level below the one where it is located, I cannot go through the door, as it is partially blocked by green canisters.

I do not remember how I got past that part the first time, let alone if I did it without noclipping.
JohnnyTheWolf
Banned User
 
Joined: 05 Oct 2015

Previous

Return to Levels

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests