[WIP] Descent Into Darkness 0.4 (4 maps in one year...)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
simpletonnn

Re: [WIP] Dark 0.2.1 Second map bug fix

Post by simpletonnn »

hexen doom... i love it!
Skitplade Miles

Re: [WIP] Dark 0.2.1 Second map bug fix

Post by Skitplade Miles »

wpninja wrote:
Skitplade Miles wrote:I just found out that the current version has no sound effects on the first map, here's a quick fix:
replace "PALACEIN" in the SNDINFO with "PALACE" and it should work.
Wonder if that had anything to do with the problem I had before. On certain Gzdooms the wind on the first map was 10 times louder then it should have been.
Strange... well the problem was that Slade turned a file named "PALACEIN" into a pallet no matter what. I changed the name of the sound file to "PALACE.ogg" and forgot to change it is the SNDINFO file because I wasn't paying attention.
Skitplade Miles

Re: [WIP] Dark 0.3

I've finished the new 3rd map:
Download

There is also a secret exit
Raziel236

Post by Raziel236 »

This looks absolutely amazing!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Egad! Stealth monsters ahoy! In my opinion, stealth monsters can easily ruin a mod. In fact, to me, a stealth monster count of >1 is probably enough to tarnish it and this mod has far more than that. At least playing this made me finally do something that I have been meaning to do for ages; make a DECORATE file that unstealths the stealth monster actors. :twisted: (I didn't unstealth them entirely, just made them pretty translucent instead of full-on stealthy.)

Other than that, the look and the atmosphere was pulled off pretty well but I did find some of the rooms to be a bit bare looking. Generally the fights weren't to my taste but that is just a preference thing and doesn't mean that they are bad. The fights did seem to be well executed for the most part. Texture use was nice and provided a consistent Gothic/Hexeny/Quakey theme. I'm not convinced that songs with words are the best soundtracks for games but, again, that's a matter of taste as much as anything.
Skitplade Miles

Enjay wrote:Other than that, the look and the atmosphere was pulled off pretty well but I did find some of the rooms to be a bit bare looking. Generally the fights weren't to my taste but that is just a preference thing and doesn't mean that they are bad. The fights did seem to be well executed for the most part. Texture use was nice and provided a consistent Gothic/Hexeny/Quakey theme.
Playing through the levels again, I see what you mean with some of the room looking bare. I my eyes they now look unfinished; I'll have to add some details.
Enjay wrote:I'm not convinced that songs with words are the best soundtracks for games but, again, that's a matter of taste as much as anything.
I'll add a midi version. The song on the 3rd map doesn't lend itself to be turned into midi in my opinion, but I'll add it anyway. I can't find a midi version of the song on the secret level with anything more than just the guitar track, but it's also included.
Last edited by Skitplade Miles on Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldschoolgamer1983

Post by oldschoolgamer1983 »

Hello there Skitplade. I freaking love your map pack. It really has that Painkiller-ish feels. And because of that I am using Trailblazer as a combination. Because the character you play in Trailblazer looks and acts very similar to Daniel Garner from the actual Painkiller. :))
Great job with it my friend. :)
Oh and the soundtrack for it is pure brilliance. Work wonders with the gameplay and atmosphere of the pack. :))
Skitplade Miles

Re: [WIP] Descent Into Darkness 0.4 (4 maps in one year...)

After quite a lot of time I managed to get another map done and update the older maps. I should probably get into a work rythm of some description...
Either way, here's the download link.

What you'll notice when playing the 4th map is that there are no medkits or stimpacks, instead the blood is your source of life.

Return to “Levels”