DUMP Episode 3: BFG Edition [map + weapons released]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Snarboo

Re: DUMP Episode 3: BFG Edition [Community Pack Recruitment]

Post by Snarboo »

Been trying to figure out a new sprite pipeline while prepping for the event. Not satisfied with either of these, so I'll probably scrap them, but I'm posting them here in case anyone else wants to use them. :p
16_5_30_weapon_sprite_test.png
16_5_30_weapon_sprite_test.png (4.69 KiB) Viewed 877 times
16_5_31_weapon_rifle_concept.png
16_5_31_weapon_rifle_concept.png (3.75 KiB) Viewed 877 times
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

CJacobsSA wrote:
TerminusEst13 wrote:Correct.
Cool!

For those following the thread for progress posts, Here's a sneak peak at my progress on my DUMP map so far. Still laying out the first "stage" of the level; the door at the top is a red key door that will lead to the second part of the map. I wanted to try something I haven't before for this one: My previous maps have all utilized mostly-square geometrically shaped corridors, and while I think that's fine and it looks good, I wanted to see what making more organically shaped areas is like! It turns out, it's pretty fun.

I am recording all of my mapmaking, I'll probably put out a timelapse of me making the map when it's all finished.
Hey, i think that's good. I don't know if that's your first map but that's the first step, you know. Let me show you my map and it's the first one too. This is only the main section of the map but i think i'm doing fine. Tomorrow i'll start the other sections of that map.
Attachments
Hub section
Hub section
3D sections
3D sections
Layout
Layout
YukiHerz
Global Moderator
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YukiHerz »

Might have to drop out, i can barely type, cant even drop out of bed...
EksFaktr

Post by EksFaktr »

My map's going... well, it's going. I don't really know what a typical dev-flow is for a Doom map, so I'm not sure how far along it is, but the basic concept and shape is coming. I'll post some screenshots once I'm a little more confident that it doesn't look like doomjr.wad :P
Neonspider

Post by Neonspider »

My wad uses ACS scripting for a very short camera change at the start of the map, is this okay or would you prefer I remove it to keep it consistent with all of the other maps (if this one gets in)?
Last edited by Neonspider on Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

I'd like to mke both a map and a weapon for this, but hey, experience shows that I shouldn't promise anything. (For what it's worth, I already have an idea for each.)
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

combatxtreme wrote:My wad uses ACS scripting for a very short camera change at the start of the map, is this okay or would you prefer I remove it to keep it consistent with all of the other maps (if this one gets in)?
That's fine.
Eevee

Post by Eevee »

It begins.

(Oops, don't have a solid idea yet.)
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

Spoiler:
Some screenshots from my map.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

For my weapon, I had the crazy idea of trying to recreate Roadhog from Overwatch. However, recreating the chain and hook exactly would be too time consuming, so I instead opted for a hackier method involving the [wiki=Classes:LoreShot]Lore Shot[/wiki]. What I ended up with is a shotgun with a tractor beam! After creating a rough proof of concept, I started to work on a sprite, the results of which you can see in my previous post. The sprite is still a work in progress.

The weapon has a few issues, namely balancing: because the Lore Shot must do damage for it to pull in actors, the base beam will always hurt enemies. This isn't a huge issue, but it does make damage balancing a pain. The other issue is how far the tractor beam should pull enemies. Getting a projectile to fly an exact distance is tricky.

I'm also debating whether the weapon should automatically fire its primary/tertiary attack when an enemy gets close enough. This would have the handy effect of letting the player use a tertiary mode without having to reel in enemies.

Edit:
Given that the tractor beam could theoretically break maps by allowing the player to reel in enemies they shouldn't be able to, I'm wondering if I might have to scrap this. Either that or put it in a higher tier slot, such as the plasma rifle, which most maps don't give you right off the bat.
Attachments
plasbeam.pk3
Proof of concept! Replaces the plasma rifle. Secondary uses cell ammo because whoopsie.
(665 Bytes) Downloaded 45 times
Deviluke Roy

Post by Deviluke Roy »

Apparently, for some reason, I was thinking of making parts of my map a homage of other Dump maps. don't ask.
demo_the_man

Post by demo_the_man »

Sgt. Shivers wrote:
Spoiler:
Some screenshots from my map.
:wub:
General Tacticus

Post by General Tacticus »

YukiHerz
Global Moderator
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YukiHerz »

HazeBandicoot wrote:Might have to drop out, i can barely type, cant even drop out of bed...
Disregard this post, feeling a lot better now, i've already started mapping.
demo_the_man

Post by demo_the_man »

Still haven't come up with a name of it, but here is a map i made for this in four hours.
going to post it to get some feedback
Attachments
demodumpmap.wad
(139.5 KiB) Downloaded 44 times

Return to “Levels”