DUMP Episode 3: BFG Edition [map + weapons released]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Titan314

Re: DUMP Episode 3: BFG Edition [Deadline extended to 20th!]

Post by Titan314 »

And I want the guy below to know he isn't being relevant:
Sorry I was just trying to joke around. :(
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

Try to stay on topic, everyone. This is a busy day for Terminus and his gang of DUMP-ers. They need to shift through all of these pages to get the completed maps and weapons from everyone.
Vennobennu

Post by Vennobennu »

Temin_Dump wrote: Did you load cc4-tex.wad as well? If you did, then I don't know what the problem is, and I'll look into it.
I didn't realize it used CC4 textures too. Indeed, everything works fine with those textures loaded. I'll do a run-through of your map now!
LogicalFallacy

Post by LogicalFallacy »

Ho ZDoom Friends! Goon here from SA to provide my own humble contribution to this mess.

Download Link: Download Link
Name: The Runaround (Don't ask, I was tired and it seemed like a good name at the time)
Credits: The good folks of OG iD Software (all stock textures)
Quote: "I don't know I'm making this up as I go."

I've poked around with DoomBuilder a bit before this, but only started mapping about a month ago, and this is the first map I'm releasing into the wild. This is the slightly improved version after following some advice from another goon. Playtested on UV. DIfficulties are not yet implemented. I do also plan on doing a bit more prettification and balance work, based on feedback I received on this particular version. Fair warning for any who try it in Zanondrum, especially software mode: One of the rooms is quite dark, and there are not light amp goggles.

edit: Previous version had a potentially significant issue, this one has corrected it.
edit2: Fixed what I broke when I fixed what was broken.
Last edited by LogicalFallacy on Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
SpudTheRubbish

Post by SpudTheRubbish »

Well I made a thing. It's less baby's first, more embryo's first.

Download Link: Right here.
Name: Overflow
Credits: All textures are vanilla Doom 2. Custom music is "Comix Zone - Episode 1, Page 1-1" by Howard Drossin.
Quote: "Wait, why are my doors only opening from one side?"
Last edited by SpudTheRubbish on Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LogicalFallacy

Post by LogicalFallacy »

SpudTheRubbish wrote:Well I made a thing. It's less baby's first, more embryo's first.

Download Link: Right here.
Name: Overflow
Credits: All textures are vanilla Doom 2. Custom music is "Comix Zone - Episode 1, Page 1-1" by Howard Drossin.
Quote: "Wait, why are my doors only opening from one side?"
Just tried out your map. As an inexperienced mapper myself, it seems to me a decent first map. You are going to catch some flax for using the exit door texture as the "starting" door. And one of your secrets (I'm sure you can figure out which) could use a more obvious tell. If you want the usable wall for it to be brighter, which would work fairly well, draw a one unit thick sector in front of the wall and increase its brightness. And for the yellow key trap, probably make the trigger linedefs bigger. I picked up the key without setting off the trap, and only went back to correct that because its an obvious trap (which isn't a bad thing). Other than that it seemed pretty good.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

Snarboo wrote:The slug thrower is unusual in that it can be upgraded by finding a second one, hence the dual tiers.
Sorry, but this is a pretty bad idea.

I mean, first of all, weapons can't change tiers, they have to be a single tier or you know, the entire mod falls apart. It's kinda based on this.

Second of all, the weapon pickups are randomizers, it'd be really annoying trying to get a second one from one, especially as they only give ammo when you have a weapon of that tier. We'd have to special snowflake the fuck out of it and I really do not want to.

Try and think of different ways of implementing the twin guns.
They're pretty cool, apart from this, so don't be discouraged.
SpudTheRubbish

Post by SpudTheRubbish »

LogicalFallacy wrote:Just tried out your map. As an inexperienced mapper myself, it seems to me a decent first map. You are going to catch some flax for using the exit door texture as the "starting" door. And one of your secrets (I'm sure you can figure out which) could use a more obvious tell. If you want the usable wall for it to be brighter, which would work fairly well, draw a one unit thick sector in front of the wall and increase its brightness. And for the yellow key trap, probably make the trigger linedefs bigger. I picked up the key without setting off the trap, and only went back to correct that because its an obvious trap (which isn't a bad thing). Other than that it seemed pretty good.
Fixed, fixed, and fixed. Here's the new download.
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Aaaaaaand done! Like 4.5 hours after midnight my time. :<

DOWNLOAD
Screenshots here

Tested in Zandronum 3.0 software and OpenGL. Looks and plays good in both I think!

Name: Mercury Rain
Music Used: "Mercury Rain" by Skaven (ModArchive.org link)
Credits: See the CREDITS lump in the WAD, there's a lot of community resources used here. Might be a smidgeon incomplete though.
Quote: "Also known as "Pluvial Terrace"."

Still missing:
- Resources pruned
- Difficulty balancing
- Multi placement
- Possible custom midi
Last edited by Jimmy on Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vennobennu

Post by Vennobennu »

Finished "Night at the Opera", once on HMP and once on UV. I liked it a lot, here some notes I took on it:

-Northwest Blue Skull door needs to have the Unpegged flag toggled on the side-lines.
-Lots of ammo around, even without the secrets. I sometimes ran low on shells and bullets, but always quickly found another
box of ammo, and I had plenty of rockets too - finished with more than 40.
-Very nice attention to deatail, the lighting was especially well done. You did a good job of making the rooms feel like actual places; the curtain call was a great moment.
-The actual fight in the theatre hall is not the best, though. If you don't have the BFG then you'll be doing a lot of popping in and out of cover to shoot at the Cyberdemon, and his projectiles are hard to see in black-and-white. The seats are pretty finichky to navigate too, especially if you're not jumping.

-The Megasphere -> BFG/Backpack is a huge power boost, and makes the rest of the map much easier once you find it since it gives you enough cells to take down everything in the map (except the Cyberdemon if you're bad at aiming the BFG). You might consider splitting it up into multiple secrets.
ArchXeno

Post by ArchXeno »

Download Link: https://www.sendspace.com/file/mtml2g
Name: Not Another Tech Base
Credits: N/A
Quote: I don't like this map, but at least it exists.

It's not fully balanced yet, stuff is broken, and I don't have music yet. And I don't have a weapon. I was really streched for time, even with the deadline extension. I'll try and put out an updated version tomorrow

Edit. Looks like I also put the player start in the wrong spot as well. Sorry, I was in a rush. A proper version will be out tomorrow
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

Jimmy, i just downloaded your map and it was fun, short, detailed and a little non-linear. It took me 13 minutes to finish. One thing that i like about your map was the use of weather to improve the atmosphere of the place. You should try my map for feedback purposes :) .
Action Max

Post by Action Max »

I know this is slightly past deadline, but here is my final pre-testing release of Tomb of Hectikhamen (at least until I get my shit together and write out a new music track in MIDI).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8xWmO ... sp=sharing

Music: "Egypt" from Goldeneye 64
Graphics: Egyptian textures from Scythe 2, which took them from Brotherhood of Ruin. Sky texture from Scythe 2 (unknown original source).
Quote: Tricks and traps await you in this sandy tomb...
Deviluke Roy

Post by Deviluke Roy »

TerminusEst13 wrote:
Deviluke Roy wrote:https://www.dropbox.com/s/3kbhq5ueyghl7 ... l=0...WELP. I tested some stuff.

Have some notes:
Note: Your map still is not playable in GZDoom. It doesn't even load.

You dun' goofed, mate.
I now know just how fucking aggravating finding god damned lines is

The only line I found was this one: Image (Or in this link)

Fuck everything man...fuck it...what the hell am I supposed to do?

The show must go on! Fuck these needles in stacks of needles! I will find these...stupid lines...*falls to the floor*
And they all wrote:God dammit.
EDIT: I found a way! Highlight all the lines and look at the numbers!...and it doesn't work. fuck.

Also, I think I'll fix the lines before I make any map changes

(Oh, and I deleted my script. I don't think I need that)
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

You're using SLADE right? Try pressing Ctrl+4 to bring up the Map Checks window, or go to View > Map Checks in the map editor window.

Hit "Check". The results will highlight the erroneous lines, and clicking them let you instantly navigate to the problem areas.

Return to “Levels”