DUMP Episode 3: BFG Edition [map + weapons released]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Mor'Ladim
Location: An artifact in an image you foolishly saved as a JPEG.

Re: DUMP Episode 3: BFG Edition [Map build released]

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Do you plan to review the weapons as well? If so, I look forward to it! Though, I don't see the reviews being as detailed since there wouldn't be as much to comment on compared to maps!
DavidN

Post by DavidN »

Thanks for all your reviews, Thyrork! I loved reading through them and seeing your thoughts - and I think they contain some great and valuable feedback for the mappers who submitted to this project.

I didn't put together full feedback on the hub map and boss, but I can say I loved the malevolent atmosphere of the cathedral and the confusing, broken secret second hub - my only complaint is starting outside every time instead of at the last gate I entered, because it's such a long walk back into the cathedral every time. The music is suitably dark but gets very, very repetitive after just a few levels!

As for favourites...! That's a challenge :) As much as it makes leodoom85 sound like he was fishing for compliments, UAC Ocean Base was definitely one of the highlights for me ;) It had a great underwater atmosphere to it and felt fair all the way through. BTFS was a map that was similar in feel, in a different setting. I really liked the alternative atmosphere of The Corporate Ladder, as well... and the concept of double worlds that was in The Duality.

There are a lot of really good maps here, but I think those are the ones that I had the most fun with overall. I think the reviews that I most enjoyed writing are the ones from the beginner maps, who are sort of unconstrained by any learned conventions - I find it really interesting to see what people just getting their hands on Doombuilder for the first time come up with. Eviscerated by NAG deserves special mention for being a preposterously well-detailed map for a beginner!

I'd love to have a go at reviewing the weapons when they're ready - I think there would be enough to write about aesthetics, effects, and everything :) And if manpower is needed to put together a DUMP4, I'd be happy to help out however I can.
Thyrork

Post by Thyrork »

Yes. Not sure how i'll do it, in the context of not snapping a level in half by going Give All at the start of a map, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

The entire review has been touched up to be in numerical map order and a few spelling errors corrected. Sorry if anyone lost their place.

E: I don't do favorites. There's enough variation of what is brilliant and what is infuriating to make it almost unreasonable. From the amazing gameplay of DIMENSIONAL ACCELERATOR to the dread atmosphere of THE DARKNESS BEYOND. From MERCURY RAIN's amazing design and looks to the gross fleshy hell of EVISCERATED, I have far too many favorites to pick one as the star.

Plus I'd feel super bad, since this has taken awhile, for forgetting some of the first maps I reviewed.

So let me be sappy for a second here, you're all winners who got into the final 80 because you made maps that worked. Some of you have more work ahead and some of you need to keep sharp, but ultimately you did the thing. The thing is what mattered.

Hope my review's helped.
CJacobsSA

Post by CJacobsSA »

You've done great work, my man. :)

I think I might also do a review of the wad, but mine may go even slower because I'm playing like one or two levels a day. We'll see!
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

Hey, the both of you did excellent reviews and indeed have valuable feedback for future maps like inspiration, polishing and all that stuff. Also, I'm in the middle for two maps that I'm making (spoiler), one for testing purposes and the other maybe for Dump 4 (this is a "what if" though).
And, David, I'm not fishing any compliments at all. It's just that all who submitted the maps has its merits for spending their time to make incredible maps.
Oh, and my favorite maps are the bouncy castle map (map 11), the map that Toasty made and that Hell mode (map 23), the corporate map (map 15), the weirdest style map of Darsycho (map 35), Jimmy's map (map 40), FloatRand's library (map 45), Quake's style (map 70) and for the secret, the one that DudeDesigns made.
Frozenwolf150

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

I know that the OP for these wads says that gameplay mods like Doom RLA might give you trouble since the pistol start is enforced. What I want to know however is, what happens if you try to run this with gameplay mods that replace monsters or give them new properties, such as Doom RPG? I'd be interested in trying a run through all 3 episodes with DRPG + RLA, but I'm hesitant because I don't want there to be conflicts with the new bosses.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

It shouldn't affect new enemies, because if the way experience is calculated, but you're likely to lose all your stats and stuff every level.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

Frozenwolf150 wrote:I know that the OP for these wads says that gameplay mods like Doom RLA might give you trouble since the pistol start is enforced. What I want to know however is, what happens if you try to run this with gameplay mods that replace monsters or give them new properties, such as Doom RPG? I'd be interested in trying a run through all 3 episodes with DRPG + RLA, but I'm hesitant because I don't want there to be conflicts with the new bosses.
Don't bother, DRLA breaks big time in the DUMP series. kaboooooom
Frozenwolf150

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

wildweasel wrote:It shouldn't affect new enemies, because if the way experience is calculated, but you're likely to lose all your stats and stuff every level.
Yeah, I didn't know that you lose all your equipment every level. So it's not going to work with any gameplay mods designed for continuous play, which unfortunately describes all my favorite mods. :(
Beed28

Post by Beed28 »

Frozenwolf150 wrote:
wildweasel wrote:It shouldn't affect new enemies, because if the way experience is calculated, but you're likely to lose all your stats and stuff every level.
Yeah, I didn't know that you lose all your equipment every level. So it's not going to work with any gameplay mods designed for continuous play, which unfortunately describes all my favorite mods. :(
For what it's worth, I tried it with D4D, and I kept my weapon upgrades, credits, even the weapon themselves upon transitioning to a new level. The only thing I noticed that didn't carry over was the ammo.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

+INVENTORY.UNDROPPABLE tends to break DUMP over its knee, so weapon mods that apply that to its weapons tend to either fuck or get fucked.

I recently learned that +INVENTORY.UNTOSSABLE is a thing and that's generally safer to apply to weapons.
Deviluke Roy

Post by Deviluke Roy »

I just saw that the intro quote from my map is not the Brick Joke I made for Dead On Arrival's quote, its actually something by Term himself, I think. And It was way funnier than my tryhard antics. Good one, Term. Good one.
Vennobennu

Post by Vennobennu »

Phew, it's been a while. Congratulations and thank you for putting DUMP3 together, TerminusEst! I can only imagine how grueling it is for even several people to manage a community project of this size. If and when there's another DUMP I'd love to take part.

Also thanks to the people who played and reviewed my map. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out for a first attempt, but I know I have a lot of room for improvement in terms of overall level structure and aesthetics. I built the map mostly room-by-room, with the result that it's kind of separated into these discrete modules and wasn't as interconnected as I had envisioned at first. I wasn't certain exactly how much health and ammo to leave lying around (it's difficult to tune these things without somebody else to help you test); there are a lot more pickups on Hurt Me Plenty (and Nightmare :P ) if Ultraviolence feels too stingy.
President People

Post by President People »

Alright, folks. The wait is over, for those still waiting. The weapons of DUMP 3 are locked and loaded!

Everything should be in working order now. All participants' updates since Test 1 have been added, the especially clunky weapons got a bit of smoothing over, and just about every weapon has decals, dynamic lights, bullet/shell casings, or any combination of the three. Some changes under the hood, too! Any weapon can be dropped, uses ammo like it's supposed to, and may be removed as intended when playing the DUMP 3 levelset. The Synthfire system has also received a tune-up, with the primary/altfire-swapping cvar being fixed in the process.

That about covers the general stuff! Here's the full changelog:
Spoiler: Changelog since Test 1
And without further ado, the downloads. Or maybe you couldn't wait another second and just scrolled right on down here! Either way:

DOWNLOAD - - -
The weapons, at long last: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ea11yhyxaoq4 ... s.pk3?dl=1 [mirror] (26.34mb)
The maps, reposted for convenience: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sc9seej72ikaj ... 3.pk3?dl=1 [mirror] (72.1mb)

Give yourself a round of applause guys, we made it. If even if you started something and will never finish it, you still walk away with just a little more modding experience that could come in useful down the road. Every bit counts! Thanks to Term and the gang for having me along, and to all you DUMPers out there. It's been a fun ride!

Here's to the next DUMP installment not being quite as… constipated. Heh.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

My weapon sprites... are on DUMP3 ??? Man, i'm really happy! I thought i would have to wait for another opportunity, since i didn't had any ideas back then.

- But, anyway, just gave a IDKFA and here's what i noticed. The gun i talk about (HS 011), was created by Ijon, but his name is not on the weapon tag, intentional?

- Mor'ladim's Tyrant Shotgun has some weird bug on the offsets here when i use it, some flickering on the screen, actually. I'm using gzdoom-g2.2pre-1867-g071485b, if that's of any help.

- Yholl's powered/powerful akimbo machine guns work on a cell basis, but it doesn't seem to consume cells when i fire them both... intentional? Forget, i got it. It has a timing.

Return to “Levels”