Tenebrae

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Pedro vc

Tenebrae

Post by Pedro vc »

Highly experimental, dark as fuck horror maps for your entertainment.

Featuring:
-5 atmospheric maps;
-A complete new set of monsters;
-Multiple endings

Notes:
-Tested with GZDoom 1.8.09, unfortunately I'm stuck with older versions of OpenGl. It probably will work fine with newer versions of GzDoom too.
-Tested fine with default GzDoom brightness and light settings, but people complained it's still too dark. You may want play in a darker room or increase gamma a little if you find it too dark.
Spoiler:
Download (requires GzDoom):
http://www.mediafire.com/download/00j4i ... nebrae.zip
Last edited by Pedro vc on Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Accensus

Re: Tenebrae

Post by Accensus »

Second screenie looks pretty nice and creepy to me. Gonna give this a shot.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

I agree, that particular octotron (do octotrons appear in anything besides SUAB?) has a pretty unnerving devilish grin.

Looking good!
HMNuke93

Post by HMNuke93 »

Great maps, good job!
Mister Neauxbauxdeay

Post by Mister Neauxbauxdeay »

Abba Zabba wrote:I agree, that particular octotron (do octotrons appear in anything besides SUAB?) has a pretty unnerving devilish grin.

Looking good!
There are other mods known to feature him. This particular one is a current favorite:

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=48074
arookas

Post by arookas »

I thought I'd give these maps a go.
Pedro vc wrote:dark as fuck
You got that right. Some almost all areas of the maps were practically pitch black 48 map units out. I played the maps on a combination of Legacy and Software rendering. I tried your suggestions and they didn't seem to help either. As a few suggestions, maybe try using sector brightness higher than 120, brightmaps to help point out details in surfaces and monsters, adding dynamic point lights to things, etc.

The atmosphere was top notch. Some of the rooms in the map, with the combination of the music, were really great in setting the mood. In some areas, the colored lighting really brought out a terrible and dark feeling. I really liked that camera room, as well. The new sounds of the weapons were perfect, and the demon sounds (especially ROAM) were fantastic.

The monsters were a hit or miss. The lesser demon replacements are fine, but the Cintaralho is a miss. It is simply a bullet sponge (2666 health) and the pulse attack making it invulnerable is cheesy. I don't have a complaint about the Octotron ("meatball"); that one is simply amazing.

As far as level design/flow goes, most of it was tolerable. While the maps themselves look great, it is easy at times to get caught on sector details in the sudden monster-closet traps. Fighting 24 imps/pinkies flooding in a tiny room is not exactly fun when there's no room to back up or kite them and your player keeps snagging on floor/wall detail. The underwater segment was really interesting, and I wish they were used more often in mods. The switch hunt feel of some parts distracted from the atmosphere. Maybe some indication or hint text as to what a particular switch does? Mandatory secrets are also very bad, for instance the wine cellar area of MAP02 or the second floor bedroom in MAP04.

Overall, the maps were pretty great and the multiple endings was a nice touch for replayability. :rock:
Pedro vc

Post by Pedro vc »

Brightmaps seems like a cool idea, I might implement it on a future version. Thank you by your feedback.
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

I can't see anything in the first two screenshots, but the last one looks cool.
Pedro vc

Post by Pedro vc »

New version up. I didn't implement brightmaps (too lazy to make them), but increased increased the brightness of all maps. Hopefully it's more playable now.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/00j4i ... nebrae.zip

Return to “Levels”