DUMP Episode 2: Dump Harder [RELEASED]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Eevee

Re: DUMP Episode 2: Dump Harder [RELEASED]

Post by Eevee »

Thyrork wrote:Alright. MAPS 24 - 33 are done.

Comet1338. Kurashiki. CPN Chookum! Thanuris. Shadowhog. Hellser. Guardsoul. Abbuw. Eevee and Derprandal.

Special mention to how much Crimson Evening kicked my face in. The salt was very, very real Thanuris.
I'm glad you liked it! I notice your first line tries very politely not to pick on the city part. :D I don't think that subversion would work nearly as well outside this specific type of project, either.

I'm impressed you found most of the secrets; you have to be pretty quick to get through the first portal in time, and I never expected someone would do it on their first playthrough.

I spoiled the two last ones in my writeup, though if you looked in an editor you might already have seen how to get them.
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

felt like a quake map? that's certainly a new one. this might be a good thing actually
5 kills missing?
oh shit, some teleporters might've messed up
note to self: use more chaingunners, revenants, ammo and powerups

the feedback is very much appreciated, thyrork
i'm reading some suprising stuff 'between the lines' too
maybe i should make another map in the future
Wivicer
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Wivicer »

I appreciate your feedback, though I noticed there's not really any negative things you have to say about it, which surprises me. The common thread among all the criticism I've gotten is that the map is short; in some people's opinion, too short.
Eevee

Post by Eevee »

In a set of 70-odd maps, brevity might not be a bad thing.
Guardsoul

Post by Guardsoul »

Thyrork wrote:I did find the multiswitch secret but I found it to be infuriatingly hard to do, so I skipped it.
I never give the computer map easily to players. You must prove you´re skilled enough to earn it :lol:
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

The Ultimate DooMer wrote:Another bug - map 60's teleporter (in the hub) doesn't close up after finishing the map. (allowing you to re-enter and get stuck, as the exit switch is S1)
Map 62 has the same issue.
Thyrork

Post by Thyrork »

Taking time out to reply and not play, don't tell term. :o
ijon wrote:
Thyrork wrote:Still can’t escape the area behind the yellow keycard.
crouch jumping is needed there - if you can't do it, noclipping is fine too
You made me type that. Yes, you. You did this Ijon Tichy.
:D

(it turns out no one likes not having a super shotgun, but I don't like it making each shell pickup 42% more efficient)

(I blame id because it couldn't ever be my fault no sir I never make bad decisions)
Ah, gotta get gud at crouch jumping then. Also my super shotgun. :(
Deviluke Roy wrote:I think the reviews are very interesting, Thyrork.
Thanks man. My style tends to be love/hate with people I've come to know, it being more optimistic then the norm.
Hellser wrote:Seems you like my Map29. :)
Yes. ;)
Eevee wrote:I'm impressed you found most of the secrets; you have to be pretty quick to get through the first portal in time, and I never expected someone would do it on their first playthrough.

I spoiled the two last ones in my writeup, though if you looked in an editor you might already have seen how to get them.
Without thinking i just ran at the other side and ZIP! Dead Pinky and confused doomguy.
comet1338 wrote:felt like a quake map? that's certainly a new one. this might be a good thing actually
5 kills missing?
oh shit, some teleporters might've messed up
note to self: use more chaingunners, revenants, ammo and powerups

the feedback is very much appreciated, thyrork
i'm reading some suprising stuff 'between the lines' too
maybe i should make another map in the future
Any comparisons to other fps's are always "this is good", if there's a sticker ill usually say afterwards. In this case I feel your map would have been right at home in Quake, with its slightly less (imo) emphasis on murder and more on environmental and the monsters being part of. I remember Quake as more of a puzzle with the fighting wrapped into that as another layer. Also yes, this was a good map, do make more.
Wivicer wrote:I appreciate your feedback, though I noticed there's not really any negative things you have to say about it, which surprises me. The common thread among all the criticism I've gotten is that the map is short; in some people's opinion, too short.
Eevee wrote:In a set of 70-odd maps, brevity might not be a bad thing.
Eevee gets it. I don't mark down for length, I mark up for enjoyment. I would rather have two minutes of fun than that two minutes being stretched agonizingly thin over ten.
Guardsoul wrote:I never give the computer map easily to players. You must prove you´re skilled enough to earn it :lol:
Damn right, and I wasn't! :3:
YukiHerz
Global Moderator
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YukiHerz »

I agree my map feels too big and empty, should've used the space for some monster closets that open after getting the keycard.
Deviluke Roy

Post by Deviluke Roy »

Oh, and BTW Thyrork, My map is supposed to be short and easy. Just so ya know.

Oh, and a bug report. I played on a Dump 1 server w/ a Doom 64 mod and after we beat hitler, everyone timed out. I don't think this was posted here before.

I think a "Thanks for playing" map'll be a good fix. Also, DID anyone play the Marathon map?
Thyrork

Post by Thyrork »

MAPS 34 - 43 are done.

CactusHege. SoundofDoomDoors. Anonymous. Kribbulous. Untitled. Anonymous. Dansco. Action Max. Worm318 and Pinchy.
HazeBandicoot wrote:I agree my map feels too big and empty, should've used the space for some monster closets that open after getting the keycard.
Agreed, some ammo after the four Mancubi opening up a closet or teleporting in some demons before the yellow(?) door would have capped it off perfectly. Maybe a pair of Barons.
Deviluke Roy wrote:Oh, and BTW Thyrork, My map is supposed to be short and easy. Just so ya know.
Shhhh. No spoilers. :3:
Hege Cactus

Post by Hege Cactus »

Thyrork wrote:MAPS 34 - 43 are done.

CactusHege. SoundofDoomDoors. Anonymous. Kribbulous. Untitled. Anonymous. Dansco. Action Max. Worm318 and Pinchy.
Spoiler:
Worm318

Post by Worm318 »

Spoiler:
Untitled
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Untitled »

Spoiler:
Deviluke Roy

Post by Deviluke Roy »

You know, I can't wait for Thyrork to review my map. I think I could make another map when I get GZDoom Builder. Slade's map maker isn't really for me. :geek:

EDIT: Apperently Thyrork did my level right now (just not all of maps 44-53 yet at the time of writing), but he does make some good points.

Well, I think learning'll help.

I wanted to make a short, easy map, and had no idea monsters with backs turned are only good once or twice. Oops.

Making Details is new to me in doom wads and I wasn't using any custom textures. In the old versions there was a conflicting theme, but here I made a Nazi Castle.
The Bullshit Lost Souls are Beta Skulls. Why did I put them in again?

Also, the secret exit was supposed to be a secret exit. If I was in charge of the MAP-INFO then it would've probably been so. Oh well. It is what it is.
Thyrork

Post by Thyrork »

Fair enough mate, its important to make a good map, but its much more important to learn from what you did, carrying that on to the next. :D

Just a heads up, Batch 44-53 aren't fully reviewed yet, maps 50-53 need doing. I'm off to bed so I'll get them done tomorrow and move on. Apologies for the delay but if you're super keen on seeing your review sooner, you know where to find it.

Return to “Levels”