DUMP Episode 2: Dump Harder [RELEASED]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
dukka

Re: DUMP Episode 2: Dump Harder [Community Mappack Recruitme

Post by dukka »

Hello yes I would like to contribute to this insane man's mapping compendium aneurysm.
Deviluke Roy

Post by Deviluke Roy »

Hey. I'm Interested. Can you put me on the list?
Last edited by Deviluke Roy on Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kribbulous

Post by Kribbulous »

Here's the music I'm gonna use, in its semi-maybe-final form.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/99xpzyhobdmom ... P.mid?dl=1
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

I'm in. I accidentally started about 24 hours early because I got really excited, but I've spent most of the time so far messing around with textures and such.

I'm anxious to see what people think!
LordMordecai

Post by LordMordecai »

I've been lurking for years and finally decided to make an account here to sign up for this project. I've always wanted to share my maps, so to have it included in such a neat project would be great. Really looking forward to seeing what people make. I've been playing through DUMP 1 and I love it so far!
Beed28

Post by Beed28 »

Is it too late for me to sign up?
TheMightyHeracross

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

What the hell, I'm in. I'll take any excuse to quit discouraging myself due to my lack of talent and get shit done.
Killamanjaro53

Post by Killamanjaro53 »

Goddammit all these noobs getting in to mapping and I`m sitting here doing nothing, crap well I`m in, *Sobs lightly at the torture* :P
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Geez, Terminus, how is it you start one community project and suddenly new users are coming out of the woodwork to join you? =P
Big C

Post by Big C »

wildweasel wrote:Geez, Terminus, how is it you start one community project and suddenly new users are coming out of the woodwork to join you? =P
Probably the gentle reassurance that we don't have to make something super-razzle-dazzle for this project. :P
Infirnex

Post by Infirnex »

Already messaged Term on Steam about it, but my hat is thrown in.

Considering my maps are only competitive multiplayer maps and no single player maps (besides ZDCMP2), and considering I suck at detailing, this will be rather...uh...

Well good luck everyone!
rosfell

Post by rosfell »

Okay, the basic layout for my map is almost ready, I'm done with sketching every detail of it and I'm ready to start working on it, but there's a little thing I would like to confess before I start, and believe me, I feel ashamed of it:

I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO MAKE A STUPID DOOR AT ALL...

You can punch me in the face now...
Eidolon

Post by Eidolon »

rosfell wrote:I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO MAKE A STUPID DOOR AT ALL...
You'll probably figure it out when you're producing the map, but you'll need to make a "control sector" outside of the playable area of the map, and a space between two rooms as the "target" (i.e., the actual door). Set both to use the same sector tag. On one of the linedefs for your control sector, set the linedef special 12:Door_Raise. There are a few parameters, see the wiki for more info. http://zdoom.org/wiki/Door_Raise

For a more detailed explanation, eevee's tutorial series on Doom mapping has doors fairly early. https://eev.ee/blog/2015/12/19/you-shou ... el-part-1/
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

Eidolon wrote:You'll probably figure it out when you're producing the map, but you'll need to make a "control sector" outside of the playable area of the map, and a space between two rooms as the "target" (i.e., the actual door). Set both to use the same sector tag. On one of the linedefs for your control sector, set the linedef special 12:Door_Raise.
This is, uh, highly incorrect, and not what Eevee's tutorial tells you. Door specials go straight on the line the player hits "use" on, and doors almost never use control sectors.

Basically, make a door-shaped rectangle that connects two rooms. Lower the ceiling of the rectangle sector to the floor. Texture the lines this creates with a door texture. Give those lines the number of the special you'll be using (it's 1 for Vanilla and 12 for ZDoom).

The special Door_Raise takes a tag, a speed argument (up/down movement speed, default is 16), and a delay argument (time before it closes, default 150). However, putting the special on the door and not on a switch or anything means you can ignore tagging entirely. Door specials that go on the doors themselves (i.e. not on switches or walkover lines) do not need to be tagged, so that's one less step to worry about.

One last thing to check - make sure the lines of door are facing outward, not inward. Look on the lines for the little thing pointing out. If it's pointing inside the door, hit F (works in Doom Builder and SLADE) and you'll flip them round to face out from the door instead. This is important because specials get activated only from the front side of linedefs (barring very special instances).

If in doubt:
[wiki]Door_Raise[/wiki] - standard door special
[wiki]Door_Open[/wiki] - standard door special (doesn't close)
[wiki]Vertical door[/wiki] - more information

god doors aren't as hard as I just made them out to be with all this text fghfdsfjdhjsggsgdsg
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Return to “Levels”