DUMP Episode 2: Dump Harder [RELEASED]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Zerrer

Re: DUMP Episode 2: Dump Harder [Community Mappack Recruitme

Post by Zerrer »

I'm totally into this. I've only ever made a single map before and a shitty weapon/monster alteration mod, but I've been following the scene for a few years now. Might as well do it!
Espeon

Post by Espeon »

I'm really interested, couldn't make in time to join last DUMP so i think I'm in this time
Count me in!
:!:
N30N

Post by N30N »

Well I might aswell get off my lazy bum and do something...

So, count me in.
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

I'm interested.
AD_79

Post by AD_79 »

Damn, Term, I didn't expect this many people to be interested :P
Eevee

Post by Eevee »

We might even end up with a megawad that doesn't have exactly 32 levels!
Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

And considering this is ZDoom-centric, that's totally okay!
Big C

Post by Big C »

What the Hell, count me in, if only as a self-enforced kick in the ass to actually do something I say I want to.
Wivicer
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Wivicer »

I wanna do it. Let me do it. Please.
Eidolon

Post by Eidolon »

I am very interested in this! I haven't done any sort of Doom mapping in a very long time.

Sadly, I am fairly busy this month. Hopefully I'll be able to get something in.
HexaDoken

Post by HexaDoken »

I have never mapped in my entire life before.

I am practically guaranteed to screw up beyond all hope and become the laughing stock of the entire world.

I LOVE SUFFERING

SIGN ME UP

EDIT:

Code: Select all

soosisya_san: hey uh hexa could you tell them to sign me up on this
soosisya_san: don't feel like making an account tbh
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

AD_79 wrote:Damn, Term, I didn't expect this many people to be interested :P
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Thank you very much for your interest, everybody! I'm amazed at the reception this has.
(the "compiling and feedback" stage may be a sliiiight bit rocky for me)

Also, I'm noticing a big ol' chunk of people blazing ahead and starting on (and in some cases finishing!) their maps before the map time actually starts.
I'm a little torn about this.

On the one hand, I'm not really a stickler about the time limit. Several people in the last DUMP used the fix-up time to add extra rooms, to finish their map, or went waayyy over the time limit in order to finish things. After all, the primary point is to get things done, not how long you took on it.
On the other hand...if you're doing it that fast (people have sent me maps on the same day it was announced?!), I'm pretty sure you're not actually putting that much effort into making something.

Or maybe you plan on using the weeks to take your time and create a massive epic. Which...I think is an EXTREMELY unfair advantage against people who do have ideas and are waiting for the time proper to begin.
Heh, "advantage" is a weird word to use. It's not like we're competing.
But I do want everyone to be on equal footing, if possible. If you've already got ideas, great! But some people are using this time to still figure out what their map is gonna be, and I don't want them to feel like they're getting shafted because someone's using these two weeks to create, then detail, then finetune, and more.

If you've already started your map and are on a roll, go ahead and finish it. I'm not gonna stop you, and breaking momentum is probably the worst thing to do to someone.
If you haven't started but you REALLY wanna play with your idea, feel free to post it here! Post the sketches you've got, post the crazy ideas of what you'd think would be cool, post the music that you're totally gonna use, post the layout, post anything at all!
If you haven't started but were planning on getting a head-start tonight, I'd like to ask you to wait until the 9th (doesn't matter the time zone, so you can start as soon as it's 12:00) so that everyone can start at the same time, please.

For what it's worth, though, it's definitely my fault for creating such a big "okay now sit there and do nothing" period of time.
I think for the next DUMP, I'm going to redo the schedule so people aren't just sitting on their butts twiddling their thumbs until the first week passes.
Very sorry about that.
I just want people to have fun aaaaaaa
The Purple Marine

Post by The Purple Marine »

This seems like just the kind of thing I need. If I still can, I'd like to sign up!
In fact, I already have an idea...
Abelard Tullus

Post by Abelard Tullus »

I'd love to join in! I've wanted to try making DOOM maps for ages, and this would be a great reason to start! :D
Mor'Ladim
Location: An artifact in an image you foolishly saved as a JPEG.

Post by Mor'Ladim »

TerminusEst13 wrote: post the music that you're totally gonna use
Yes.

I am actually still not sure which music I will use. I went through my folder of modules that I have had for ages, so I am not even sure what is new at The Mod Archive. I suppose it all depends on how the level turns out, but here are some that I am leaning towards:

http://modarchive.org/index.php?request ... ery=144310 Top choice.
http://modarchive.org/index.php?request ... uery=48533 Not sure about this one. Seems a little too 'soft', but I think I am mainly considering it due to nostalgia. I used to listen to this quite often so long ago when I was working on an old platformer, before my days of Doom. That was back when my spriting skills were just dreadful compared to now!
http://modarchive.org/index.php?request ... uery=32503 Using this for a current platformer I put on hold. I think it would fit if I make my map take place at night.
http://modarchive.org/index.php?request ... uery=32444 If I happen to use a lot of sludge/toxic in my map, I will definitely use this. Though, I think the first part of the song kind of ruins it.

There are plenty more, but I am not about to link 11+ considerations!

Return to “Levels”