DUMP Episode 2: Dump Harder [RELEASED]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Mister Neauxbauxdeay

Re: DUMP Episode 2: Dump Harder [RELEASED]

Post by Mister Neauxbauxdeay »

I am currently at the portion of the volcanic oasis map with the floating platforms just across and upwards from the blue key panel. Am I supposed to already have the blue key panel activated before trying to leap onto those? I ask because for some reason or other, I find myself falling right through those platforms even after solidly landing on them and am unsure if the blue key has something to do with how they function.
Deviluke Roy

Post by Deviluke Roy »

ijon wrote:better get crackin', because I already made two maps :^)
Eevee wrote:hey, come on, you're not supposed to start before the project's even announced
rules are for chumps
Well, I guess he could publish them as their own maps in another thread. In any case, I can't wait for the announcement!

(PS, for my bots, I might remove the "Marine" Class thing. I see that disallowing class compatibility.)

Edit; when will Dump 3 be announced?
Eevee

Post by Eevee »

Is DUMP 2 on idgames?
Deviluke Roy

Ijonnies

Post by Deviluke Roy »

Eevee wrote:Is DUMP 2 on idgames?
Well, no.

Ijon's map is, though.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Eevee wrote:Is DUMP 2 on idgames?
Gathering a couple more bugreports, fixing things up, then I'll submit both DUMP 1 and DUMP 2 on /idgames. :D
Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Mister Neauxbauxdeay wrote:I am currently at the portion of the volcanic oasis map with the floating platforms just across and upwards from the blue key panel. Am I supposed to already have the blue key panel activated before trying to leap onto those? I ask because for some reason or other, I find myself falling right through those platforms even after solidly landing on them and am unsure if the blue key has something to do with how they function.
You are, but the only thing the blue key does is raise an extension of the ledge you're on out from the lava, such that you can even reach them.

If you're somehow able to reach the platforms from that ledge without the blue key without cheating, that's an error on my part and I have some fixing to do. That said, if you reach the platforms with cheating, there shouldn't be anything preventing you from standing atop them.
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

Yo Term, is it alright with you if I submit a fix for my map that makes it so it doesn't instantly end when you kill the Cyberdemon?
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Yeah, sure.
Dancso

Post by Dancso »

Only just had the time to catch up with this thread/project again. Definitely gonna be playing through the whole mappack, maybe even commentate it like the first dump, don't know when though. Maybe less cheating and nonsense talking this time. :P

In response to Thyrork's review of my map (40)...
Spoiler:
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

Yesterday i finished this mappack and it was very good. I used the HXRTC Project wad and played on hard (meaning that 48 maps were required before the final boss), it took me almost 16 hours to complete the mod. With the HXRTC wad it is almost impossible to finish the marathon map unless with cheats. It has some "incompatibilities" with the keys in some maps, for example the cyberworld map and the egyptian themed map, it didn't activate the switch even when i picked up the correct key.
In any case it was a great mappack and if a DUMP 3 is in progress count me in, maybe i can submit a map.
Attachments
DUMP HXRTC Keys
DUMP HXRTC Keys
KeksDose

Post by KeksDose »

That is indeed a shortcoming in the map set. Here is an example from MAP23:

Code: Select all

script 2 (void) 
{
    if (CheckInventory("RedCard") == 1 )
    {
        SetLineTexture(13, SIDE_FRONT, TEXTURE_MIDDLE, "-");
        SetLineTexture(13, SIDE_BACK, TEXTURE_MIDDLE, "-");
        Line_SetBlocking(13,0, BLOCKF_EVERYTHING );
    }
    Else
        Print(s:"You need the Red Keycard to use this switch!");
}
With an implementation like this one, you throw away compatibility with key species, replacement keys and language replacements (if you do not bother to look up the token for the key message, that is). The foolproof way to implement this is by reducing this to the statements contained within the if-block and using [wiki=ACS_LockedExecute]ACS_LockedExecute[/wiki] instead.
Mister Neauxbauxdeay

Post by Mister Neauxbauxdeay »

Shadow Hog wrote: You are, but the only thing the blue key does is raise an extension of the ledge you're on out from the lava, such that you can even reach them.

If you're somehow able to reach the platforms from that ledge without the blue key without cheating, that's an error on my part and I have some fixing to do. That said, if you reach the platforms with cheating, there shouldn't be anything preventing you from standing atop them.
I managed to figure out the blue key thing, thanks to running the area more thoroughly. That being said, I still counted about 20 times where I fell right through those 3d floor platforms after having solidly landed on them. Every time I fell through them, I noticed that the platforms were moving upward and that I positioned myself somewhere towards the center of them as they were moving (I managed just fine as long as I positioned myself toward the edges of them). Furthermore, I was playing this map with the latest version of HXRTC Project,along with its droplets, realaim quaketilt and footsteps addons in case this might help in the diagnosis of the issue.
Deviluke Roy

Post by Deviluke Roy »

leodoom85 wrote:Yesterday i finished this mappack and it was very good. I used the HXRTC This is a skip it is almost impossible to finish the marathon map unless with cheats.
It's a marathon map. What is HXTRC made for again..?
The guy who made HXTRC wrote:The HXRTC Project is an addon for exclusive use with Doom & Doom 2 games, that means it won't work correctly with Heretic, Hexen or Strife games.

Also, how exactly DID you get to the marathon map? I think it's not in the hub, it crashed when I tried to play it (Me not having Marathon and using Doom 2), and if you got there, there should've been missing enemies, missing textures, etc.
leodoom85 wrote:In any case it was a great mappack and if a DUMP 3 is in progress count me in, maybe i can submit a map.
I can't wait for DUMP 3! I'd start with the DM map, but I can't start unless the project is announced...which makes sense.

Edit: Fixed a quote. And this.
TerminusEst13 wrote: Sometime in June or July. As much as I love DUMP, I can't be running it constantly, I spent the last two months just on one DUMP. I'd like to use this month to catch up with my own projects. :D

That's understandable, Term. Good luck on your projects!
Last edited by Deviluke Roy on Sun May 08, 2016 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Deviluke Roy wrote:Edit; when will Dump 3 be announced?
Sometime in June or July. As much as I love DUMP, I can't be running it constantly, I spent the last two months just on one DUMP. I'd like to use this month to catch up with my own projects. :D
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

Help me with something. What is the number of the marathon map?, because i played the mappack bit by bit and i can't remember very well :(. I can test that map including others as well, maybe with some other mods. As for the keys i had no choice but to noclip which sucks but only in those places. By the way, i'm using the GZdoom 1.8.10 for those tests.

Return to “Levels”