DUMP Episode 2: Dump Harder [RELEASED]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
leodoom85

Re: DUMP Episode 2: Dump Harder [RELEASED]

Post by leodoom85 »

leodoom85 wrote:Help me with something. What is the number of the marathon map?, because i played the mappack bit by bit and i can't remember very well :(. I can test that map including others as well, maybe with some other mods. As for the keys i had no choice but to noclip which sucks but only in those places. By the way, i'm using the GZdoom 1.8.10 for those tests.
I have some bad news. One, for the secret map in vanilla Doom i can play it just fine but with the HXRTC mod and the Scalliano 667 mod (this one is another randomizer monster mod, maybe can happen the same with some similar mods) it bypasses the map and teleport you back to the hub and count as a finished map. And two, for the marathon map, i looked in an editor map program like Slade and the map is there, even in the MAPINFO is there, but it's not in the hub. Playing the mappack again i discovered that the map that i was referring to (the hard one) is the map 38 :-( . Sorry for that one.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

leodoom85 wrote:And two, for the marathon map, i looked in an editor map program like Slade and the map is there, even in the MAPINFO is there, but it's not in the hub.
It's a Marathon map.
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

Some quality maps in this set, but even the more beginner-type ones prove once again that ZDoom maps can be done in a more Doom-ish style without adding a ton of new stuff...can we not have some more projects like this? (individual or community)
DavidN

Post by DavidN »

Yes, I've been playing through this and it's wonderful - it's great to see beginners being encouraged to contribute, and it reminds me of when I started out, having the fascination in just creating something and not worrying about polishing it up for a critical audience! In that way, a lot of creativity comes out without the burden of not knowing whether it's good enough. Thanks, Terminus and all, for taking the lead on encouraging people in this way - I'd love to submit something myself the next time one of these comes around :)

I've been thinking about putting together feedback myself, but reading Thyrork's reviews, it's... obvious that I'm nowhere near as much of a veteran and have a different level of patience from what more experienced people in the community would have :) Where he often says "This was a really interesting knife-fight encounter with limited resources, with dangers from all sides", I'm more likely to think "Oh piss off, I'm not fighting a Cyberdemon armed with two forks and a pencil sharpener while being gnawed on by Lost Souls". Would feedback from someone newer be encouraged as well? :)
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

You could right comedic reviews. They can be helpful and very entertaining, especially if you actually say what you've put up there.

I sent my map update/fix to Term, so he might be updating the .pk3 sometime soon. The way I had my map setup originally caused rather violent crashes on my end, so I would like to avoid putting anyone else through that.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Phew. That was a pain in the ass of hunting down everyone and beating them until they fixed stuff, but here we go.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5nwgk3mt4qudp ... 2.pk3?dl=1
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4p2zW ... sp=sharing

And with that, DUMP 2 is officially completed! Almost three months after the fact, fucking hell. I'll be pushing both DUMP 1 and DUMP 2 to /idgames sometime on Monday or Tuesday. Hopefully they'll be accepted soon-ish.
Still, it was fun. And for everyone that contributed, congratulations. Hopefully we've all learned a lot.

I know I have. For DUMP 3, I'm planning:
- Update logs for each iteration of test builds, saying what changed what.
- Contingency plans for 64+ maps.
- A co-host helping out with managing everything.
- A not-as-long warm-up/preparation period, so people aren't sitting on their thumbs so much.
- Zandronum 3.0 compatibility rather than 2.1.2.
- CASTRATE ANYONE WHO USES THE SWITCHES LUMP AND RECOMPILES THE ENTIRETY OF TEXTURES

But when will DUMP 3 be announced?
Hmmmm...

Let's say next week? The 29th. :D
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

But does it have LOCKDEFS entries for those silly maps substituting silly "CheckInventory("RedCard") || CheckInventory("RedSkull")" scripts?
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Considering this is only the second time I've heard of LOCKDEFS, probably not.
Deviluke Roy

Post by Deviluke Roy »

I am in dark red. Or at least, I thought. It's more like purple.
TerminusEst13 wrote:For DUMP 3, I'm planning:
- Update logs for each iteration of test builds, saying what changed what.
- Contingency plans for 64+ maps.

Nothin' to say here.

- A co-host helping out with managing everything.

Huh. Didn't expect that.

- A not-as-long warm-up/preparation period, so people aren't sitting on their thumbs so much.

Ok then. Maybe I should practice skyhacking. And making the freedoom sailors's dead sprites into actors. Maybe even some random Nazi's standing around in my map.

- Zandronum 3.0 compatibility rather than 2.1.2.

I still don't have that. Oops.

-CASTRATE ANYONE WHO USES THE SWITCHES LUMP AND RECOMPILES THE ENTIRETY OF TEXTURES

What the hell is that?!

But when will DUMP 3 be announced?
Hmmmm...

Let's say next week? The 29th. :D

Ok then. Fine with me.
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

I suppose I could have done a venerable service and mentioned this earlier when I learned about this apparent issue through others playing through the mapset, but: you know how to use [wiki]ACS_LockedExecute[/wiki], and you know about the various [wiki=Key_types]key types[/wiki], but didn't know thanks to that second page that they [wiki=LOCKDEFS]weren't hardcoded[/wiki]? You silly project manager you. It's something that could probably potentially be standardized for DUMP 3's sake, too!

oh whoops I'm late to the party Keks already posted about it

EDIT: Also I want to mention that it is very easy to be stuck in the red key room on MAP05, especially if you're going for the chaingun secret.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Yes, this would have been much better to bring up much earlier. Oh well, something to move on and remember for DUMP 3.

Given DUMP 3's aim for Zandronum 3.0 compatibility, ACS_LockedExecute hopefully shouldn't be seeing much use anyway, due to UDMF's lock definitions for linedefs working fine in Zandro 3.0.
Deviluke Roy

Post by Deviluke Roy »

Speaking of Dump 3...

I have an unfinished map called...sigh..."House of Hell". PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT.

So IDK if I want to make a DM map or finish that map. Any Suggestions?
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

Deviluke Roy wrote:Speaking of Dump 3...

I have an unfinished map called...sigh..."House of Hell". PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT.

So IDK if I want to make a DM map or finish that map. Any Suggestions?
Finish it, if you have the motivation to do it then polish it. :)
GlitchThief

Post by GlitchThief »

Dear God! I just started working through DUMP2 maps on a whim, and ended up taking on "I haven't slept in 7 days, I hope it was worth it." That map was downright challenging and amazing in presentation and scope. I just had to register and say Eevee, if you ask me, it was worth it...
Freaklore1

Post by Freaklore1 »

Dump 1

Dump 2 : Dump Harder

Dump 3 : Dump with a vengeance

Dump 4 : Live Free or Dump Hard

Dump 5 : A good day to Dump Hard

Yipeeki yeah motherf***ers !!!

Return to “Levels”