DUMP Episode 2: Dump Harder [RELEASED]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Hege Cactus

Re: DUMP Episode 2: Dump Harder [Community Mappack Recruitme

Post by Hege Cactus »

I shared this in the chat but if anyone wants these to use for their maps, here;
http://www.mediafire.com/download/kk8bl ... ketrap.wad
Floor spikes for all your spike trap needs.

My map will be full of em obviously, but hey, nothing wrong with sharing the pain
Deviluke Roy

Post by Deviluke Roy »

Hey, I just want to share the first version of my map. Here's the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ptouwh5g3bsgv ... e.wad?dl=0. (Warning, this will probably not be very good.)

Please give me some suggestions!

(I used Slade 3.1.1's map editor to make this. I'm pretty sure that didn't break any rules.)
Eidolon

Post by Eidolon »

Deviluke Roy wrote:Hey, I just want to share the first version of my map. Here's the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ptouwh5g3bsgv ... e.wad?dl=0. (Warning, this will probably not be very good.)

(I used Slade 3.1.1's map editor to make this. I'm pretty sure that didn't break any rules.)
Gave it a few attempts on Hurt Me Plenty, and one of the first things I noticed is the use of the SS nazis alongside regular Doom enemies. They stick out like a sore thumb and really don't fit with the rest of the map. I would recommend replacing them unless your entire map is going to be Wolfenstein themed.

The other major thing was the "the floor is hot lava" rooms -- they are designed such that a ZDoom jump can't get the player out of the lava pit, and it is thus impossible to recover from, which is fairly frustrating when you only take 20 damage periodically. The first time I went through the rooms, I did not jump at all, because I ran fast enough that I simply stepped onto each platform.

When I reached the room with the various weapon marines, I died to a BFG blast that hit one of them. Looking at the map, there are a pack of Barons of Hell at the exit linedef and only a handful of Plasma cells. Nothing really would prevent me from goading them out of that tunnel and just rushing to the exit; you should always consider that the player doesn't always have to kill the enemies to advance.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Untitled wrote:so, uh, 74 MAPPERS

Impressive recruitment. This is gonna be interesting.
H E L P

Well, honestly, I say that but actually making sure there's no texture conflicts, all the credits are right, and compiling them together into a single .pk3 isn't going to be that difficult. Hopefully.

The real difficulty I'm not sure about is going to be the "feedback" phase, having a place where everyone can play the maps and then throw ideas and input at each other. The last DUMP was easy about this, since there were so few people I could just toss messages to everyone, but this is...
Going to require unique measures. :D
Deviluke Roy wrote:Also, Terminus, can you make the secret maps in the hud marked secret? Just a suggestion.
Will do.
Eidolon wrote:Not sure what the policy is on reusing content from other places. If there are assets in, say, Skulltag, am I allowed to reuse them as long as I indicate where they came from? The Skulltag skybox resources are really nice and derived from Doom's own skies.
This is correct. If you use custom resources, PLEASE list where they're from, so that I can give proper credits.
QuakedoomNukem Cz wrote:Just a little question on you, Terminus. How many episodes of DUMP are you planning? I'll might make a single map on my own (not for this project, but 'cause to celebrate my birthday on 22.3.).
I freely admit that DUMP was started for completely selfish reasons, so that I can grind out my mapper's block and have a bunch of people to work alongside. So DUMP episodes will probably continue...well, until I'm more comfortable with my mapping abilities, ah-hah. From there on, administrator-ship probably should pass on to the hand of someone else.
I was hoping to make DUMP a monthly thing, but if this many people pop on board next month...uhhhhh... :D
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

Hmm, maybe next months DUMP could be more themed towards something? I had an idea that we could pick a gameplay mod and a texture set then make a map based around the two. Would be a cool way to get some levels to show off new gameplay stuff...
Wivicer
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Wivicer »

That actually sounds like a really good idea. Could be fun.

Progress update:
slow
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

Progress update:
So slow, the sloth is beating me.

However:

I might revise that latter area. As it was one of the earliest.
Wivicer

Post by Wivicer »

Well I did make progress, if you're curious:
Clicky
Beed28

Post by Beed28 »

Going to have to drop out. I just can't bring myself to mapping for the moment and I have other things on my mind. Sorry...

But hey, you have less weight on your shoulders now!
Deviluke Roy

Post by Deviluke Roy »

Eidolon wrote:
Deviluke Roy wrote:Hey, I just want to share the first version of my map. Here's the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ptouwh5g3bsgv ... e.wad?dl=0. (Warning, this will probably not be very good.)

(You're awesome, Eidolon.)
Gave it a few attempts on Hurt Me Plenty, and one of the first things I noticed is the use of the SS nazis alongside regular Doom enemies. They stick out like a sore thumb and really don't fit with the rest of the map. I would recommend replacing them unless your entire map is going to be Wolfenstein themed.

The other major thing was the "the floor is hot lava" rooms -- they are designed such that a ZDoom jump can't get the player out of the lava pit, and it is thus impossible to recover from, which is fairly frustrating when you only take 20 damage periodically. The first time I went through the rooms, I did not jump at all, because I ran fast enough that I simply stepped onto each platform.

When I reached the room with the various weapon marines, I died to a BFG blast that hit one of them. Looking at the map, there are a pack of Barons of Hell at the exit linedef and only a handful of Plasma cells. Nothing really would prevent me from goading them out of that tunnel and just rushing to the exit; you should always consider that the player doesn't always have to kill the enemies to advance.
Thank you for the advice and criticism.

I think I'm going to remove the floor with hot lava rooms, because I tried to make them platforming sections and made them too easy and the first one dickish at the same time. I also got an idea from reading this to keep the SS nazis, just keep them out of the rooms with the other types of enemies. Who knows, maybe Sinpenny castle is a Nazi castle where they took a level in jerkass and changed people into monsters. I think I'll also change the Barons of Hell to Nazis.

I think I'll also change the marines so there are only Pistol and Shotgun marines (I don't know about Super Shotgun, and the chaingun is out of the question with the Chaingunner enemy).

Edit: Can I yell? I feel like yelling.

So I updated my map (Changed textures, changed and added some rooms, changed the enemies, added a boss room plan where you fight some marines, made the marine room Eidolon talked about more fair by changing the marines to pistol and shotgun), and then Slade crashed on me. Woopdie doo. Sigh....It is what it is.

Edit 2: I think I'll work more on my map tommorow, I'm taking a bit of a break right now. All I have to say is good luck to all of you other mappers.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

My week went to hell right at the end, but I managed to get 'er done.

First public build!

Use "map kinsmap" to play.

There's still a lot of adjustments and fixes and prettifications to make, especially on the top floor, but it's completable and I want to get some external opinions and advice.

No difficulty support yet, so just play HMP.
Wivicer

Post by Wivicer »

Give me commentaries pls. I'm happy to have completed a first build.

Click here to win the thing
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Wivicer wrote:Give me commentaries pls. I'm happy to have completed a first build.

Click here to win the thing
Not bad! Especially if this is your first map!

Some thoughts:

1.) I feel like it's a bit of a missed opportunity to not spring open a monster closed with weak enemies (zombiemen?) when walking through the metal detector at the start, but that's just me.
2.) Maybe I'm a big idiot, but I had a little trouble noticing the switch near the key bars. Possibly make it a little more prominent?
3.) For the last switch that opens the final teleporter, the switch texture is a little high up. Easy enough to tweak, but probably worth mentioning.
4.) When I entered the final teleport and landed in front of the key bars, the Baron immediately turned and threw a fireball that did quite a bit of damage before I could react. Possibly move the teleporter exit somewhere nearby?
Big C

Post by Big C »

AAAAAH OH GOD. ;_;

I thought I'd have time for this but I've been mega busy lately so I'M SORRY BUT I GOTTA BAAAAAIL.
Wivicer

Post by Wivicer »

Kinsie wrote:Not bad! Especially if this is your first map!
It's my SECOND completed map, I'll have you know *pushes glasses up*

Alright, let's address these one at a time:
Kinsie wrote:1.) I feel like it's a bit of a missed opportunity to not spring open a monster closed with weak enemies (zombiemen?) when walking through the metal detector at the start, but that's just me.
I was TOTALLY gonna do that. Not a missed opportunity at all, nope. (thanks, that's a great idea!)
Kinsie wrote:2.) Maybe I'm a big idiot, but I had a little trouble noticing the switch near the key bars. Possibly make it a little more prominent?
I suppose it comes down to me having been the one who put it there, so it's obvious to me. Maybe I should put it somewhere else, but I do like having it right next to the bars. Hmm, I'll have to think about that one.
Kinsie wrote:3.) For the last switch that opens the final teleporter, the switch texture is a little high up. Easy enough to tweak, but probably worth mentioning.
Yeah, I thought about that, but kind of wanted to expose the entire wood/metal texture. I have a few ideas I'll try, make it look a bit fancier, maybe.
Kinsie wrote:4.) When I entered the final teleport and landed in front of the key bars, the Baron immediately turned and threw a fireball that did quite a bit of damage before I could react. Possibly move the teleporter exit somewhere nearby?
I was toying with the idea of having the baron be a "big reveal" when you open the bars, but I wasn't entirely sure how to do that. I'm taking suggestions, if anyone has them.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Return to “Levels”