Doomed in SPACE: Bugfix March 18, Come get it!

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Doomkid

Doomed in SPACE: Bugfix March 18, Come get it!

Post by Doomkid »

Hello Doomers, today I present you with the finished product: Doomed in SPACE! 13 Sci-Fi themed maps for ZDoom-based ports.

https://i.imgur.com/Z07223Z.png
http://doomshack.org/~doomkid/stor/doomedinspace.gif

DOWNLOAD IT HERE: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/level ... d_space_v2

The story:
The year is 2088. The UAC's current goal is to remove the line that separates men from machines. Certain undesirables are sacrificed, analyzed and experimented on for the sake of progress. The promise to integrate more effective weaponry directly into the human body keeps the research funds flowing in.

You are one of the UAC's victims - a genetically modified bounty hunter. You were stolen from your home colony as a child but proved harder to control than most of their young test subjects. Using your increased speed and strength, you managed to kill the men guarding your cell and escape in a stolen shuttlecraft.

That was 18 years ago. Crime is the only means of survival you have ever known. Once again, you find yourself locked in a cell, at the mercy of the UAC. An armed medic comes through the door and into your cell. As he checks your vitals, you quickly grab his head and snap his neck. His body lies on the floor and the gun is now in your hand. It's time to escape!

The rules:
You MUST play with freelook ON. Jumping and crouching must be turned OFF. You must also turn the 'infinitely tall actors' flag OFF, as there are several 3D bridges used throughout. Difficulty levels have been very thoroughly implemented, so if you're finding the maps too hard or too easy, simply adjust accordingly.

The maps:
Map01: Escape! by Crunchynut44

Map02: Shuttle Maintenance by Doomkid

Map03: Toxicity Control by Bootleg Guy

Map04: Foreign Planet by Mosshopper

Map05: Überraumstation by UberGewei

Map06: Wheel in the Sky by Empyre

Map07: Terra-6 Planetary Base by Fred512

Map08: Deep Space Installation by Doomkid

Map09: Genetics Lab by Doomkid

Map10: Command Station Zulu by Nevander

Map11: Asteroid Refinery by Angry Saint

Map12: Space Waste by Crunchynut44

Map13: The Speed of Skree by Pinchy

The new stuff:
There are a wide array of new enemies and weapons, lovingly borrowed and modified from a variety of sources. I don't want to give too much away - Play it to see how everything works and expect a few challenging changes that keep you on your toes!

The credits:
Obake (Wavegunner), Doom64, Duke Nukem 3D, Strife, Wolf3D, Star Wars: Dark Forces, area51.wad, equinox.wad, anubis.wad, skulltag.wad, Complex Doom, ChaosCore CTF (Map10 sky). A very special thanks to Crusader No Regret, Obake and Liberation for playtesting and comments.

The ports:
This has been tested in ZDoom, GZDoom, ZDaemon, Zandronum and Odamex - works in each one. Sadly does not run in PrBoom+ as there is no railgun support.

Extra info:
In multiplayer, if you select the 'easy' or 'medium' difficulty levels, you will be faced with an entirely different arrangement of monsters, far more imposing! Hopefully this will allow your survival or co-op sessions to be fresh a second time around. There are also two hidden maps in this wad, at slots 31 and 32. They were created by myself and Joe-ilya. They are not a part of the official campaign and can only be accessed in game by cheating, but they seemed too good to simply discard.

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/level ... d_space_v2

If you enjoy Doomed in SPACE, please be sure to let us know. I'm sure that everyone who worked to make this project possible would love to hear your feedback, positive or negative. Thanks!
Last edited by Doomkid on Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:08 am, edited 20 times in total.
Nevander

Re: DOOMED IN SPACE (A community Project!)

Post by Nevander »

I might be up for making a map for this. How much detail are you looking for? Should the level of detail remain consistent with those in the above screenshots? Put me down for MAP13.
Doomkid

Post by Doomkid »

If you want to use a little more detail that's alright, as long as it isn't crazy should be totally fine. Added you in!
gabrieloup

Post by gabrieloup »

Call of Star Doom : Modernly Advanced Black Cops of Warfare
Pre-order now for exclusive perfumed plumage weapon skin pack DLC only available at GoyStop Power to the Hebrews

No kidding, this actually looks pretty good for a vanilla-ish Doom mod. Looking forward to it's completion!

(while it's tempting to edit out this awful joke, it must stand here as proof that you needed to be warned again. -ww)
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

gabrieloup wrote:Call of Star Doom : Modernly Advanced Black Cops of Warfare
Pre-order now for exclusive perfumed plumage weapon skin pack DLC only available at GoyStop Power to the Hebrews
Ordinarily I'd overlook this as just being a bad joke, but having seen the general tone of the rest of your posts I'm more inclined to just ask, what the hell are you playing at?
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

Sounds plain racist to me.
Doomkid

Post by Doomkid »

Well I do appreciate the kind words about the project, strange as the rest of that post was. Remember kids, up with Doom, down with anti semitism.

(seriously how did it come to this rofl)
Doomkid

Post by Doomkid »

The roster is filling up quite quickly, but we could always use more talent for the project. In the works in an enemy replacement for the Keen actor, like a slower, more powerful, alien Revenant, courtesy of Obake. More to come!
Mr.Enchanter

Post by Mr.Enchanter »

Progress!

I'm really trying to get the feeling of an old moon colony across with my map and I hope that it translates well.
Doomkid

Post by Doomkid »

Alrighty people, I've compiled the first 'real' little beta of what we have so far!

http://www.geocities.ws/doomkid/1dmspace.zip

The current maplist is as follows:
MAP01 "Escape!"
The starter map, I still need to add some detail and polish here and there, but it's pretty much complete.

MAP02 "City of Tiny Lights"
Very early progress on another map, will likely (as in definitely) not remain in slot 02.

MAP03 "Outdated Outpost"
Obake's map submission. Great map for early in the pack, plays well and I dig it. There's two little HOMs in software mode but it's very minor stuff.

MAP04 "Brain Damage"
MrEnchanter's submission. Like Obake's, has a few little HOMs and texture oddities in software mode/Odamex, but It's a damn good map that aside. Great 'lunar surface base in a valley' feel here!

MAP05 "Command Station Zulu"
Nevander's submission. Good lord this map is beautiful. I think I found a tiny HOM or two but once more, the issues are tiny and far between. I think this one will need to go a bit later in the pack, it's very grand.

MAP06 "Wheel in the Sky"
Empyre's submission. Whatever the final map rotation is, I want this one right in the middle - It has a fantastic "Hub of all the space stations" feel to it. Can be beaten in only a few minutes, which is fantastic - Not every map needs to be long.

MAP07 "Toxicity Station"
Bootleg Guy's submission. I really like this map, matches up perfectly with my mapping style, if you don't mind my saying. Fits the theme well, fun to play - Great stuff.

MAP08 "Space Madness"
Very early submission from everennui. There isn't much here yet, though I really like the little computer room in the central area. It's fitting the theme well and I hope to see more progress. There are several HOMs here, but like all of them, should only be a quick fix.

I'll be adding further submissions in the correct order according to the OP, then further along we can decide on a rotation. At the moment, the focus is getting more submissions / polishing what we have so far. All the screenshots I've seen of not-yet-submitted maps are looking very promising as well.

More to come, and keep up the fantastic work, as always!
Doomkid

Post by Doomkid »

Huge update! (That's right, it's NOT dead yet!)

DOWNLOAD CURRENT BETA HERE

So, I have a 10 map playable demo here for you all. I've removed a few maps from the previous beta simply due to there either being too many bugs in Odamex/Zdaemon or them just being a bit too plain, even though they are all fun maps. Here's the list of included maps:

Map01 - "Escape!" by Crunchynut44
Map02 - "Scientific Station" by Doomkid
Map03 - "Toxicity Control" by Bootleg Guy
Map04 - "Terra-6 Planetary Base" by Fred512
Map05 - "Wheel in the Sky" by Empyre
Map06 - "We Are Not Alone" by Doomkid
Map07 - "Command Station Zulu" by Nevander
Map08 - "Space Waste" by Crunchynut44
Map09 - "Asteroid Refinery" by Angry Saint
Map10 - "The Speed of Skree" by Pinchy

Custom enemies by Obake, Garth Donovan and Doomkid

This should run bug-free in Odamex, Zdaemon, Zandronum and (G)ZDoom. As this is just a beta, please be on the lookout for bugs and errors. Feedback is immensely appreciated.

DOWNLOAD CURRENT BETA HERE

Hope you enjoy what's there so far!
Mr.Enchanter

Re: DOOMED IN SPACE (Revived!)

Post by Mr.Enchanter »

Now that I'm a bit better at making Boom and Doom format maps and understanding the logic of the various tags and techniques and whatnot, I'd like to revisit my map and greatly improve upon it. Any idea of a deadline if there is one? Also, happy to see that this project is not dead, it's pretty cool.
joe-ilya

Post by joe-ilya »

So since my map was rejected for not being strictly about a space adventure, but more about spaceships in hell, should I replace the nukage with void and replace the sky back to the starry background so that it would look like the map is set on Jupiter?
Doomkid

Post by Doomkid »

I'd be happy to see what you guys make, there's definitely room for a few more maps here.
grouchbag

Post by grouchbag »

That is a great looking set of maps with equally good gameplay.Like it a lot.I was half asleep when playing,and on the 2nd map, I was wondering why I couldn't kill the "monster" shooting "fireballs". When I got to where it was,it turned out to be one of the warning lights.Needless to say, I lol'd and felt dumb.Thought saying this might give someone else a good lol.Btw, it didn't help having very bad eyesight..... :oops:

Return to “Levels”