DOOM Tribute Project - UPDATE: Vanilla Monsters Add-On

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DoomKrakken

Re: DOOM Tribute Project Open Beta (Update Pg. 3)

Post by DoomKrakken »

Tired, sorry...

Rephrasing...........

I had forgotten to mention... this really brings me back to the time when I first played Doom. As in, the Ultimate Doom (I had played Doom II first). It gives me an awesome nostalgic feeling I haven't had in a long time, which is why I was really torn about what I wanted to say when I initially tried it out. I'm sorry if I hadn't expressed that properly initially.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

wildweasel wrote:How about, "Excuse me, I noticed you've defined your player class and weapon numbering using KEYCONF, which is no longer ideal because it breaks external mods. Would you mind changing that?"
I already said almost exactly that, months ago. Was completely ignored.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Ed the Bat wrote:
wildweasel wrote:How about, "Excuse me, I noticed you've defined your player class and weapon numbering using KEYCONF, which is no longer ideal because it breaks external mods. Would you mind changing that?"
I already said almost exactly that, months ago. Was completely ignored.
The difference, in my opinion, is that you're at least being polite about it. In the end, it's ultimately the project author's decision whether to listen to advice, but I really don't feel that being rude (like DoomKrakken's pre-edit post was) really does anything to help get something like this fixed.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

I had initially phrased it in a more negative way, because my exhaustion clouded my better judgement. I didn't mean to phrase it the way I had initially phrased it.

Let us stop beating this dead horse already. The KEYCONF edit is a very easy fix, and I can at least play this with Trailblazer. So, we're all good. :)

EDIT: Alright, I just finished it. MAN, that was one of the awesomest experiences in the history of... EVER.

Dude, doz be sum maaaad mappin' skillz. Thank you for this!
Alando1

Post by Alando1 »

Whoa, can't believe there was a mini post battle going on. Thank you Wild Weasel for keeping the peace :)

Anyway, to answer questions or concerns:

@Janus3003 - For your question regarding if the project is in the final release stage, it's close to that point; we're closing in on the finish line :). The project can be taken out of the beta stage and moved into the polishing stage. Of course with this, it's just to do a once over to make sure we cover everything and then we can wrap things up and get it ready to release onto id games. If you come across anything else that should be looked at, by all means, let me know. Thank you again for your help.

@DoomKrakken & Ed the Bat - Guys, I'm very much aware about the KEYCONF being depricated. Ed has mentioned it multiple times in the TOTLM threads. I appreciate your suggestions regarding that I should define the player classes via MAPINFO but I am more comfortable using KEYCONF since it is easier for me to keep track of what is where in the lump files. I apologize if it is an inconvenience in some way, especially regarding weapon wads, but I would really appreciate that you respect my decision on how I compile my projects. Thank you.

-Alando1
Last edited by Alando1 on Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

That's very disappointing to hear. Well, good luck.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Oh well.
Janus3003

Post by Janus3003 »

Map05C: You can grab the blue key early by jumping onto the ridge on the outside of the bars.
Map name "Down Town" should be "Downtown"
The intermission text after Downtown has both "UAC" and "U.A.C." Also, there's a typo- "some the U.A.C's files" should be "some of the UAC's"

Edit
Just finished playing through it again, and I didn't have any further issues. Only finishing touch I would add is to replace the menu's Doom II icon with the Tribute Project's.
Again, great work on this! It's been a lot of fun.
Alando1

Re: DOOM Tribute Project Open Beta (Update 1/4/16)

Post by Alando1 »

Hey guys, Happy New Year! The newest version of DOOM Tribute is available!

@Janus3003 - Nice catch on MAP05C; I would have missed that completely :) Everything is good to go for the Read Me screens and I did replace the M_DOOM graphic to show "DOOM Tribute." If everything is a go, I will prepare DOOM Tribute for the id Games archive. Thank you again for your assistance. :)

-Alando1
armymen12002003
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by armymen12002003 »

oh goodies new version gonna give this a go.

EDIT: Quick question will there be any easter eggs or secret levels?
Alando1

Post by Alando1 »

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been on in some time. If DOOM Tribute is good to go, let me know and I'll upload it to id Games.

@armymen12002003 - There isn't a secret level unfortunately but there is in fact a small easter egg. On MAP05B, on the outskirts of the Starport's exterior walls, there's something outside the hangar. Behind the metal wall that lowers at the end of the level, if you go on ghost mode, go over the wall, make a right, and then when you walk along the wall, make a sharp right at the end and there is a little surprise. I left the boss brain there; while I was working on that level, I didn't have any other way to exit the map so I used that as a temporary exit mechanism. :)

-Alando1
armymen12002003
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by armymen12002003 »

ok lol something was bothering me though what exactly is the blood mod that you are using in this?
Alando1

Post by Alando1 »

@armymen12002003 - The blood mod I'm using is my own personal script. I used the same script in TOTLM3 and I'm currently using it for TOTLM4. If you would like to use this in a project you may be working on, by all means, you may use it. :)

By the way guys, I'll be uploading Doom Tribute to id Games this month. I was meaning to do this last week but I was a bit under the weather. I will be having free time in the middle of February so I'll probably be uploading it by then. If any of you do find anything that needs to be looked at, please tell me ASAP.
Janus3003

Post by Janus3003 »

Jumped up to this spot in Slough of Despair. Only place you can see the bottom of the skybox.
Alando1

Post by Alando1 »

@Janus3003 - Nice catch, man! You got one hell of a sharp eye. I took care of that plus I actually found something else on that level, too. This certainly is a coincidence but I also found that I forgot to put in the player 2,3, & 4 starts. Fortunately Slough of Despair was the only level that had those missing. Interesting how one issue that was found lead to another issue that needed to be dealt with as well. In any case, those issues have been fixed and I think we are good to go. Great work, Janus; thank you again.

A new version of Doom Tribute is available on the first page.

-Alando1

Return to “Levels”