DOOM Tribute Project - UPDATE: Vanilla Monsters Add-On

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Janus3003

Re: DOOM Tribute Project Open Beta (Update Pg. 2)

Post by Janus3003 »

Crap, I should have brought this up earlier.

-In the Mansion, you can get the red key early by diagonal jumping. Same situation with the invulnerability sphere in the blue/red "throne room" or whatever in the Spirit World.
-I started going through the game's text to correct typos and the like. I'll finish and post that tonight.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

These look very promising. They look very fun to play with Guncaster, Trailblazer, Project MSX, or Doom... :)
Janus3003

Post by Janus3003 »

I took the liberty of going through the intermissions and such, correcting typos and grammar issues. Some of my own personal style of writing made it in there, so take this more as suggestions than anything.
But at the very least consider the proposed alternate ending for Doom II. :D
Spoiler:
demo_the_man

Post by demo_the_man »

"Good luck, Marine. Human kind is counting on you." would not be something that anyone would say,exept in a cheesy 80s sci-fi movie. I would personally use "Good luck. We are counting on you" Human kind or Humanity just sounds a bit to melodramatic to be said by anyone in that situation, especially in a situation like that.
Alando1

Post by Alando1 »

@Janus3003 - I'll definitely investigate the two levels you've mentioned and I'll do the necessary fixes. I looked at the Read-Me screen modifications and I really like them a lot. I like your writing style. It's simple and invigorating; it brings out the mood of the story more effectively with less words. Also thank you for fixing some of the typos - this is what happens to me when typing with tired eyes :( ...

Anyway, I got a kick out of the alternate ending you had. It was very funny :) ...Never trusted that rabbit anyway... LOL.

Thank you again for your help and I'll keep you posted on the modifications.

-Alando1
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: DOOM Tribute Project Open Beta (Update Pg. 3)

Post by armymen12002003 »

I just completed this it was awesome. just got a few suggestions would love to see friendly marines in the downtown map, please put some zspec ops from realm667 in the last few levels of the game also would love to see an assault rifle dropped by some of the zombies, one more thing have you thought of adding voice actors, for the intermissions and for Wendy and Marcus?

EDIT: Just thought of this how bout adding a tutorial level with Crash from quake 3 as doom guy's instructor. which from reading the quake 3 wiki that's what she was doing before being teleported to the arenas.
Alando1

Post by Alando1 »

Hey guys, Beta Version 2.0 is now available for download on the main page. Please check it out at your earliest convenience.

@armymen12002003 - I, too, would've liked to add friendly marines in the Down Town level, but, since the goal of the Doom Tribute Project is to recreate the classic Doom experience, adding allies may change the game play and overall feel. If I made this city level for any other wad, I would so add friendly marines hands down. Then again, I could create something like my Friendly Cooperatives wad that could be added as an extra if the player so chooses to use the spawner. I'll have to think about it, though.

With your suggestion of the ZSec zombies, initially they were going to be apart of the enemy roster. They didn't make the cut sadly because I already have three kinds of shotgunners and three kinds rapid fire hit-scan enemies. I thought by adding an extra one to both those classes would make it a bit too much.

For your suggestion about the voice actors, I really did want to add voice acting to this project. The real bummer is that I do not have the resources at my disposal. When I recorded the voice acting for TOTLM3, my friends were available during that time. They were either home from college or of from work. What I could do is add a patch at a later time that could be used in conjunction with the final version of the project and it will have the voice acting included.

For your last suggestion, I like the idea involving Crash but since the Doom Tribute Project is like any ordinary Doom mod, a tutorial level is not really necessary. Compared to my TOTLM series, the tutorial level was needed since there were game play elements that were not native to Doom.

Overall, I really did like your suggestions. The voice acting part, I'll definitely try and see what I can do.

Thank you for your suggestions.

-Alando1
armymen12002003
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by armymen12002003 »

Ok would love to see what you come with on the next beta but as of now i'll give the new beta a try.
demo_the_man

Post by demo_the_man »

Perhaps instead of using zsec zombies, you could use some of the zombieman helmeted reskins, as there are ones avalible for the Zombieman,Shotgunguy, and chaingunner. As well has a one with a rocket launcher by Xim. To get them in, you could put a randomizer on the possesed humans to make them randomly spawn a variant. That way i would save you work on placing enemies, instead just placing the stock zombieman and the existing ones would spawn randomly in place of the start spots. Anyways, thats just a thought.
Alando1

Post by Alando1 »

Hey guys, Happy Doom Birthday!

The idea regarding having a random zombie spawner sounds good but it may get a bit confusing to the player. Since I have multiple zombies each with a unique behavior (excluding the zombieman with a rifle and the one with a pistol each having the same exact behavior) it would be best to keep the zombies as they are. If this was another project, I would so have the random zombie spawners to change it up a bit. In fact, I'd like to use this concept with another project I have been working on. This would come in handy for that. Thank you guys for the suggestion, though.

@demo_the_man - I saw your question regarding the shotgun resources; sorry I didn't respond to that in a reasonable time frame. You may use the sound for your project. The shotgun graphics are zrrion's and you can use them as well.

-Alando1
Janus3003

Post by Janus3003 »

Just finished up IDDQD run of the project. Only three things to bring up, one map related, the other two writing related (fire whoever wrote this!!)
-The opening text says, "My commander ordered us to fire on civilians, and refused by punching him out." Needs to be "I refused"
-Every reference to the UAC is "UAC," except for episode 6, where it's suddenly "U.A.C."

-The Crusher's green switch still only lights up on the first press, and no other. It works, but it doesn't give any indication that it's working, unlike the red switch.

Once again, great work!
Alando1

Post by Alando1 »

Hey Janus3003, just finished fixing the READ-ME bits. I did further investigation on the crusher switch, and unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to fix it at all. Initially I had line def 184 as the repeatable switch for the crusher and then I replaced the line def number with a boom based behavior. I set the switch behavior to be a repeatable switch and set the crusher speed to slow. Unfortunately, it still wont budge. I have a feeling that this is an internal script error within ZDoom & GZDoom in which the switch animation does its animation once and remains inanimate when the player tries to activate it again. I don't know if there is another way to fix this issue. :(

Anyway, the new version of Doom Tribute is available and I thank you again for your assistance. :)

-Alando1
Janus3003

Post by Janus3003 »

That's a shame. Thanks for trying, though.

Is this the official 1.0 release? I notice the file's named "DoomTribute_Final."
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

I am seriously not liking what I see here. With the monster replacements and the depreciated code. Plus the gore looks ugly as heck. A shame, really... as the map structure was really awesome, and the overall ambiance resonated of a newer, yet classic, Doom.

Maybe, in the future, could you release a more mod-friendly version of this, where most (if not all) of the monsters are just the vanilla actors? Or use randomspawners?

At least I'm able to try this out using Trailblazer.

I don't hate this mappack, I really don't... I really like it! It's just... well... I don't know yet...
Last edited by DoomKrakken on Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

DoomKrakken wrote:Really dude? You're using KEYCONF to define playerclasses and weaponsections?

(facepalm)
How about, "Excuse me, I noticed you've defined your player class and weapon numbering using KEYCONF, which is no longer ideal because it breaks external mods. Would you mind changing that?"

Return to “Levels”