DOOM Tribute Project - UPDATE: Vanilla Monsters Add-On

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Janus3003

Re: DOOM Tribute Project Open Beta

Post by Janus3003 »

Map01C- I'm in the blue key room right now and I'm locked in, even after clearing out all the imps. Going to have to clip my way out. NOPE. Found the button.
Janus3003 wrote:-It's frustrating that the plasma zombies don't drop their weapons on death, and it's the same problem with the machine gun zombies. Given that all the others will drop shotguns and chainguns, it feels like the game is breaking its own rules. I can understand not wanting the player to have that kind of firepower at that point, but it might be better to replace the plasma zombies with demons of similar power. It would feel less cheap that way.

-Map01something had some issues with a secret door. In the E1M3 area, there's the door that opens near the yellow key, but it closes ridiculously quick. I didn't look in Doom Builder or anything, but playing around by that spot gave me the impression that there are multiple trigger lines for that door. The only way I could legitimately get to that door in time was by making sure I only tripped one of the outermost triggers.
^Thanks for fixing these!

EDIT
Going to keep some running lists in this post.

Bugs
-Map04's chat with Marcus kept repeating on me. Couldn't figure out what was triggering it. It seemed like activating the "press to skip" was making it repeat, but only after a few lines had passed. Not sure what was going on there.
-Gibbed some demons in Map04a's Underhalls, specifically the area where you get the blue key. The custom gibs and water don't play nice together. The blood got stuck splattering on the ground, causing its sound effect to repeat endlessly and rapidly.
-The Crusher's on switch doesn't light up or make a sound when pressed.

Niitpicks
-Map02A- Is there a reason we can't jump through the windows in the first storage room?

Other
-Love how the Map02 set shows Hell's corruption more than E2 did.
-Needs TotLM babes!
Last edited by Janus3003 on Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Johnyledger1

Re: DOOM Tribute Project Open Beta (Update)

Post by Johnyledger1 »

Alando,

I do not get on here much. I have been playing Doom for around 20 years. I have seen many a tribute level set. This....this is pretty epic. One of the best redone Doom sets I have ever seen. I do love the dual pistols for this, works just fine for me.

To those wanting to add mods. I used Perks weapons and sounds it worked just fine. You still get Alando's weapons as a bonus, but it works for me. Beautifully done so far, looking forward to more.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

Probably because the mod you're using declares the playerclass with the deprecated KEYCONF method, like this project does. Any project using the proper MAPINFO method will not work.
Alando1

Post by Alando1 »

@Johnyledger1 - Thank you for your comment. I'm glad you really like the level set :)

-Alando1
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by armymen12002003 »

Hey alando1 beings how your doing a doom tribute project how bout after this do a wolfenstein 3d tribute project.
Alando1

Post by Alando1 »

Hey guys, Beta version 1.25 is now available at the beginning of the thread. Details about the update are also on the first page.

@armymen12002003 - I don't know if I would be able to do a Wolfenstein tribute. I have not played the original Wolfenstein in a super long time; the levels are not as solidified in my mind as the DOOM levels are, but maybe some time in the future though.

-Alando1
Janus3003

Post by Janus3003 »

Just as a heads up, I won't be able to really beta test for another two weeks, if not four. Long story short is that my hand's in a cast and while I can sort of play Doom, it hurts my wrist after a short while. I'll get back to beta testing once my hand's finally free again.
gabrieloup

Post by gabrieloup »

Can you make a version that only includes the maps? It's annoying to download extra mods such as weapon sprites which not a lot of people care (since they usually use Brutal Doom or whatever), and instead put it in a separate link? It's a waste of space and it makes downloading the maps themselves take longer.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

This looks especially cool. I'll try and check it out after work.
Alando1

Post by Alando1 »

Janus3003 wrote:Just as a heads up, I won't be able to really beta test for another two weeks, if not four. Long story short is that my hand's in a cast and while I can sort of play Doom, it hurts my wrist after a short while. I'll get back to beta testing once my hand's finally free again.
Sorry to hear that you got hurt :(

It's quite alright, Janus3003. The beta testing you've done so far has been excellent. Your help is very much appreciated. Take as much time as you need.

Get well soon :)

-Alando1
demo_the_man

Post by demo_the_man »

First off i enjoy your project quite alot. It feels like doom, keeps the quality high the entire time. My favorite part is when your battling around the starships before you head to hell. I played 1.1, and am going to download 1.2 after i post this
Your weapons sound punchy and fun to use, and the dual pistols make me feel like im playing rise of the triad(that is really good)
I do have a few problems though
The doortracks are all unpegged. Its really just a preference thing but thats just my point of view.
You need to remove blocking flags on consoles in hangar, and just raise the consoles above the step height limit.
And i want to ask if i can use your shotgun sound and the cocking sprites for my mod. I really like the pumping animation, and the sound sounds really beefy and still feels like doom.

keep up the good work, ive really enjoyied your stuff so far
Janus3003

Post by Janus3003 »

Back now. No longer have a pin in my pinky. :D

-Map04's chat with Marcus kept repeating on me. Couldn't figure out what was triggering it. It seemed like activating the "press to skip" was making it repeat, but only after a few lines had passed. Not sure what was going on there.
-Gibbed some demons in Map04a's Underhalls, specifically the area where you get the blue key. The custom gibs and water don't play nice together. The blood got stuck splattering on the ground, causing its sound effect to repeat endlessly and rapidly.
(also updated my earlier post with this info)
-The Crusher's on switch doesn't light up or make a sound when pressed.

I like the new shotgun. Takes me back to the Temple of the Lizardmen.
Alando1 wrote:
Janus3003 wrote:Just as a heads up, I won't be able to really beta test for another two weeks, if not four. Long story short is that my hand's in a cast and while I can sort of play Doom, it hurts my wrist after a short while. I'll get back to beta testing once my hand's finally free again.
Sorry to hear that you got hurt :(

It's quite alright, Janus3003. The beta testing you've done so far has been excellent. Your help is very much appreciated. Take as much time as you need.

Get well soon :)

-Alando1
Thanks, I appreciate it. :)
Alando1

Post by Alando1 »

Hey guys, Beta 1.5 is available for download. I fixed the things that were indicated by Janus3003 and demo_the_man. The change log is on page 1.

@Janus3003 - You're welcome :) - Good to hear you're doing alright.

-Alando1
Alando1

Post by Alando1 »

Hey guys, since there hasn't been much else going on with the beta testing, I'm assuming that everything is okay and good to go. I will be doing some minor touch ups (mainly to the credits) and then I will be uploading the project to the id Games Archive. If anyone has any questions or concerns please let me know ASAP. I will upload this project within the next week or so. For those who have been beta testing, I thank you all very much. Your help is very much appreciated. I could not have done this without you guys :)

Thank you.

-Alando1
Ed the Bat

Re: DOOM Tribute Project Open Beta (Update Pg. 2)

Post by Ed the Bat »

I notice the project is mostly a large number of wads inside of a pk3 rather than following legitimate pk3 structure, and that it still declares playerclasses in KEYCONF instead of MAPINFO. I would be happy to help fix these things for you.

Return to “Levels”