UAC Vinur Prime Research Base - REDUX

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: [WIP] UAC Vinur Prime Research Base (Giant Tech-Base Map

Post by Zanieon »

Yeah in fact i was supposed to deliver this map in the last year, but i ran out of imagination for rooms and was only making corridors, fortunately i started watch The Walking Dead and listen to new Synthwave musics, this refueled my creation ammo.
Ravick

Post by Ravick »

Zanieon wrote:(...)fortunately i started watch The Walking Dead and listen to new Synthwave musics, this refueled my creation ammo.
Why I'm not surprised by this being your inspiration batery?! :p

BTW, very nice pics, and I'm already sure the gameplay will be also very well done! Can't wait for this to come out, Zanieon!
Zanieon

Post by Zanieon »

Almost there:
Spoiler:
Swordman

Post by Swordman »

Are you saying that you will be releasing the map soon? I can't wait to play this!
Zanieon

Post by Zanieon »

Yup, i'm near to finish the all the playable part, the background enviroment stuff i will leave for post-release as i dunno how much time i will take to make the cityscape.
Zanieon

Re: [WIP] UAC Vinur Prime Research Base (RC1 is out!)

Post by Zanieon »

[Bump for release intensifies]
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

Just started the mod, pretty neat stuff! I'll give some feedback when I beat it!
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

YUUUUUUSSSSSS. :D

Gonna have to hold off on it for now... going through Deathkings Of The Dark Citadel with Guncaster.

I can already tell this map is gonna be a huge success... :D
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

Just beat the map, took an hour to get through the whole thing. Love the monumental scale of the thing and the huge numbers of enemies.
Got a few things you might want to take a look at with it:
Spoiler:
I really loved the few moments where you'd just defeated a massive horde of enemies only to enter a completely silent and deserted area of the map. Maybe next time you could throw in some ambient sounds here and there to give the map a bit more atmosphere? Anyway, this is an excellent map and I look forwards to playing more doom maps from you! :D
Zanieon

Post by Zanieon »

Thankies for playing it, as i said before i have to give final touchs to this and that's why i released it before the final version, so i can change what's not good for it, okay so lemme answer the feedback:

1. Yeah i could, and probably will change to imps or shotgun/pistol zombies, because Mancubuses or Arachnotrons would make too much tanky turrets even with you picking Rocket Launcher in the first few moments of gampeplay.

2. With that door being a polyobject i preferred leave it with the original door slide function instead of make it open/close via ACS only, polyobjects are known for having weird behavior when an actor is in their path.

3. That part i only added the Mastermind before release the map, so if i have to remove a monster from that room, it would be the Spider, not the other mobs, i can leave spider for a later battle.

4. People who tested the map when was beta said that it needs a final boss other than Cyberdemon or Mastermind due to the massive scale, i don't discarded this, i just don't found a proper boss to put there yet, and the Hangar door is not the true exit, it's temporary, that door will open and you will have to kill a bit more before really exiting map, the real exit will be a highway with this view.

5. The cyber will not be really the final thing, it is a temporary final boss, i am aware of the map interconnections and i know about the option of backstab him from the Hangar door instead of the Section 3 doors.

Well, for final thing, i could add ambient sounds but that will break from vanilla-style i think, the music already filled the silence for me, also i know you are aware of Hunter's Moon and it's performance demanding maps, but are you aware of Doom Reinforced Mapset? If not, i recommend you play it then, it's only vanilla-gameplay but newschool in the maps and probably will fill the needs you pointed for this map.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Just played through it with Guncaster on Wyrm Difficulty (Ultra-Violence). IT WAS SUPER EPIC. The design is amazing, and the fights were so very intense. :D

The main thing I have to complain about is that the whole place seems so... empty. Probably what you were going for... but I felt like some stuff was missing that should've been there, but wasn't. Probably just more architecture, pillars, and more narrower corridors mainly (I'm not saying to size down the rooms, hell naw! I'm saying to just add more slightly cramped areas throughout the map.

One other thing, though minor, is the hellish imagery you have here and there. There are a couple candelabras and heart pillars here and there, along with a couple faces of Doom II's final boss... but I feel it should be removed. I know this is a map for Doom, but the hellish imagery felt more out of place here than in any other map I've played. It looks more like a map that was freshly conquered by the monsters, so it felt like they shouldn't have set up shop so quickly, especially for it being the first map of the series (I assume this is to be the first map of many). The corpses strewn throughout the level should be enough for the level.

Definitely different from most of the other maps you turned out. The layout seems fairly simple, although large and detailed enough to easily lose your way. The architecture and decorations (especially the neon signs over many of the doors) reminds me of the ZDoom Community Map Project (Take II), along with the music and music changes.

It'd be cool if you merged this simpler architecture with the more complex architecture/textures famously seen in your Doom Reinforced Mapset and Hunters Moon maps. As for the screenshot, I would hope that the next level will be a whole city with buildings that look just like the ones in the picture, cuz that's some of the best stuff I've seen... :D

You could probably look to Putrefier and Valhalla for inspiration for future maps... :)

Again, awesome freakin' job. :) You made my day. ;)
LadySlash

Post by LadySlash »

Just looked through the level - it's really awesome. :wub:
However, I think the teleporter that is available after picking up the Blue key and throws players into North Hangar area would be very useful there. I'm talking about it because the absence of that teleporter may lead to the situation of a broken cooperative gameplay... unless there is a "spawn where died" flag set on the server.
Zanieon

Post by Zanieon »

Thanks for playing it ppl, i will change the pointed things a bit and release a RC2 before going to final version.

DoomKrakken, i doubt i will make a playable map inside Syneon City, in the very short story this map have, the entire Research Base was locked exactly to prevent the invasion to go to the city, so everything is still fine around there.

LadySlash, i surely forgot to make a teleporter to players go into the Hangar while the Blue Key is active, this bug happened even in the beta but i always forget to fix it.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

By the way, you could look to using some music and design inspiration from the video game Vanquish, for future maps. It has awesome locations, and I have a playlist of Vanquish music in a custom playlist for Doom. :)
Zanieon

Post by Zanieon »

I've already seen Vanquish, not much my style, more because of the excessive use of motion blur, thansk for suggesting anyway.

Return to “Levels”