[Release] Last Chance

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

[Release] Last Chance

Postby idGamer » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:57 pm

Last Chance is a horror-ish/story based, single level mod of mine that I've been working on off and on for about a year now. It draws some inspiration from games
such as Silent Hill and Cry of Fear, as I tried to create a twisted and surreal environment that is modeled after ordinary places ( i.e. stuff like city
streets or the interiors of buildings). The mod is fairly short, as I can complete it in a little under half an hour, and it also has 3 different endings.

Also, an important piece of information is that most of the times the FLAT_22 (the grid-like, gray background) is used on walls, it indicates the
presence of something to read. These almost always give important information for how to complete the mod.

As always, any criticism/suggestions are appreciated.

Screenshots:
Spoiler:

Download (Version 1.2):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6uekg15oq494qnn/LastChance1.2.zip?dl=0

Full credits are included in the file.
Last edited by idGamer on Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
idGamer
Gosh - are we having a ball, or what?

Re: [Release] Last Chance

Postby grouchbag » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:18 pm

Haven't quite finished the the first level,but I already like this.
grouchbag

Postby idGamer » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:37 pm

grouchbag wrote:Haven't quite finished the the first level,but I already like this.

Er, the mod actually only has one level; I probably should have mentioned that in the OP. :|

I do appreciate the positive feedback though. :)
idGamer

Postby Ed the Bat » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:18 pm

I see you defined a new DoomPlayer class. Really shouldn't do it that way (it produces a warning at startup, after all...); you should give your new class its own actor name and declare it in MAPINFO.

Also, this pk3 is actually just three wad's next to each other, which is bad for RAM. Proper structure is highly advised.

I can help do these things for you, if you'd like.
Ed the Bat
I'm tired. I want to go home.

Postby idGamer » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:43 pm

Ed the Bat wrote:I see you defined a new DoomPlayer class. Really shouldn't do it that way (it produces a warning at startup, after all...); you should give your new class its own actor name and declare it in MAPINFO.

Yeah, I probably should have done it that way; that shouldn't be too hard to fix.

Ed the Bat wrote:Also, this pk3 is actually just three wad's next to each other, which is bad for RAM. Proper structure is highly advised.

Out of curiosity, what is the proper way to set up a PK3 file? I tried simply copying the content of the three wads into the PK3, but the map wouldn't start that way.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. :)
idGamer

Postby Ed the Bat » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:44 pm

http://zdoom.org/wiki/Using_ZIPs_as_WAD_replacement

If this is too complex, I can help put it together. It would take me just a few minutes.

Now, as for suggestions for the game itself...
There's no statusbar. It took me a while before I thought to check the fullscreen hud to see if there was one. And definitely, there should be warnings to the player in the OP or a readme that freelook is required, and probably GZDoom for its increased vertical range. That one puzzle would be impossible without it. Plus, with so many ways to die quickly/instantly and unexpectedly, I would suggest adding some autosaves to the map, to help the player out. Having to restart from scratch can be a pain...
I also felt that things kind of fell apart in the hellscape section. It lost the atmospheric charm the game had up to that point, and focused too heavily on combat, which is not particularly fun with this player's limited arsenal (the amulet is particularly useless with how weak it is). Speaking of weapons, it wouldn't hurt to give them nametags.

And on the note of combat, I feel like the final boss is a bit too intense. Instant kills are not fun or exciting.
Ed the Bat

Postby idGamer » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:11 pm

Ed the Bat wrote:http://zdoom.org/wiki/Using_ZIPs_as_WAD_replacement
If this is too complex, I can help put it together. It would take me just a few minutes.

Thanks, I'd appreciate that; I haven't worked much with PK3's in the past, so I'm pretty unfamiliar with this.

Ed the Bat wrote:Now, as for suggestions for the game itself...
There's no statusbar. It took me a while before I thought to check the fullscreen hud to see if there was one. And definitely, there should be warnings to the player in the OP or a readme that freelook is required, and probably GZDoom for its increased vertical range. That one puzzle would be impossible without it. Plus, with so many ways to die quickly/instantly and unexpectedly, I would suggest adding some autosaves to the map, to help the player out. Having to restart from scratch can be a pain...
I also felt that things kind of fell apart in the hellscape section. It lost the atmospheric charm the game had up to that point, and focused too heavily on combat, which is not particularly fun with this player's limited arsenal (the amulet is particularly useless with how weak it is). Speaking of weapons, it wouldn't hurt to give them nametags.

And on the note of combat, I feel like the final boss is a bit too intense. Instant kills are not fun or exciting.

1. I didn't feel like a statusbar would really be needed since there is so little information to display on the HUD, but I suppose there should be a notice about the fullscreen hud.
2. My bad, I definitely should've specified it was for GZDoom/freelook. I'll make sure to add a readme with the file in the future.
3. Heh, I thought about adding autosaves but never got around to it, since I tend to save for than is necessary. I'll make sure to add some.
4. So, you're saying that the major problem with the hell section is the amount of enemies? If so, I can try and remove some of the less important fights.
5. Speaking of the amulet, do you think I should increase the damage? I originally had it dealing 3 damage per projectile, but it made the heart virtually useless.
6. Should be easy enough to add some nametags to the weapons.
7. Hmmm, I'll see what I can do to help balance the boss fight.

Again, thanks for the feedback. :)
idGamer

Postby Ed the Bat » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:14 pm

Alright, here you go! And I think those would be good ideas, decreasing the number of monsters in hell and increasing the damage of the amulet (or perhaps adjusting its firing rate?). It was so weak, and so hard to use with its sporadic bursts of fire, that I saw no reason to use it instead of the heart.

As for the boss fight, my suggestion would be to just reduce how much damage his projectiles do. The layout of his attacks is fine for a boss fight, but his attacks hit too hard for how complex they are. The player basically gets one hit before he's done in.

I greatly enjoy atmosphere, and I like what you're aiming for with this project. Do you have plans to expand this at all, perhaps with more chapters or a sequel or something?
Ed the Bat

Postby idGamer » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:51 pm

Ed the Bat wrote:Alright, here you go!

Thanks! :)

Ed the Bat wrote:And I think those would be good ideas, decreasing the number of monsters in hell and increasing the damage of the amulet (or perhaps adjusting its firing rate?). It was so weak, and so hard to use with its sporadic bursts of fire, that I saw no reason to use it instead of the heart.

All right, I'll see what I can do; I'll probably have an updated version out in a few days.
Also, I won't spoil anything, but there is a reason to use the amulet over the heart. :wink:

Ed the Bat wrote:As for the boss fight, my suggestion would be to just reduce how much damage his projectiles do. The layout of his attacks is fine for a boss fight, but his attacks hit too hard for how complex they are. The player basically gets one hit before he's done in.

It is possible to get some armor before the fight (depending on the choices you've made), which should help some, but I've also reduced the damage on all of his attacks except the rapid fire one.

Ed the Bat wrote:I greatly enjoy atmosphere, and I like what you're aiming for with this project. Do you have plans to expand this at all, perhaps with more chapters or a sequel or something?

I'm glad you enjoyed it! :D
I don't really have any plans for a sequel, since I'm not to sure what else I could do aside from having a different protagonist or something, but I'll have to wait and see if I can come up with anything.
idGamer

Postby idGamer » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:50 pm

Double Posting to say that the new version has been released.

Stuff that has been changed:
- Fewer enemies in the hell section (and total removal of the butcher).
- Autosaves.
- Reduced damage on most of the final boss's attacks.
- A readme file.
- Reduced fire time for the amulet.
- A handful of other minor tweaks.

The first post has been updated with the new file. As always, any criticism/suggestion is appreciated. :)
idGamer

Postby idGamer » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:01 pm

So I just now realized that the file I linked to on the first page was not actually the updated file I intended to upload. So, just four months later, here is the updated version.

Oops. :P
idGamer

Postby Ed the Bat » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:09 pm

Yay!
Ed the Bat

Postby Batandy » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:34 am

I've been waiting for a psychological wad like this since Unloved, great job :)
Batandy
"If it's not fun, why bother?"

Postby TheBadHustlex » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:01 am

Those maps look hellishly cool. Gonna download it.
TheBadHustlex
Better than stalin.

Postby skdursh » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:13 am

Just now finding this and it seems really interesting so far. Shame the creator's last visit to the site was in 2017. I would have liked to see what the original vision for the wad was before Ed the Bat convinced them to nerf it and get rid of the "butcher" (whatever that means) as personally I am a fan of challenging combat encounters. If anyone who stumbles across this by chance has the original release of this I'd like to check it out if possible.
skdursh

Next

Return to Levels