[ECWolf]ASTROSTEIN(Mac)-QuickFix for ECWolf (PC COMPATIBLE)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
AstroCreep

[ECWolf]ASTROSTEIN(Mac)-QuickFix for ECWolf (PC COMPATIBLE)

Post by AstroCreep »

(Mac Version) - QuickFix for ECWolf 1.3.9999 (Dev Version)

This is a quick fix for Astrostein (Mac Version) for ECWolf. Just a quick little project to give me a short break from Noahpak.

This quick fix includes some placeholder graphics, as well as the shim to get the mac version working properly.
It also includes the sounds, which originally had to be pasted into a copy of the MacWolf binary, which will not work with ECWolf without replacing wolf3d.bin. This essentially just makes the mod playable and fixes a few out of place gfx (not all).

The original version was pretty much not easily playable in ECWolf (right along with any mod that changes sounds in the mac version), due to the fact that to get custom sounds working in the original, you would have to manually insert the resources using ResEdit, in which a copy would be necessary due to modifying source content.
This fix eliminates the need to modify the original binary. All you have to do is drag n' drop onto ECWolf.

DIFFERENCES FROM ORIGINAL
Menu graphics adapted from WolfenDOOM Version of Astrostein, Wolf 3D, and the ECWolf Tech Demo by Executor.
Includes fonts from Tech Demo by Executor
Includes updated MacWolf title track (ogg format. rest aren't included since original has custom music which I haven't figured out how to access yet)

This is only a temporary build, as this is designed for the crippled version currentlybeing run by the dev versions of ECWolf. As such, this WILL NOT WORK with the official releases yet, only the dev versionswhich support MacWolf. Dev versions can be found at http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/ecwolf Once MacWolf is offically supported, I will be updating this to work with that version./

This also includes the original Astrostein mod needed to run this fix, already MacBinary'd up.

TO RUN:
Extract ZIP file
Drag and drop "Astrostein.bin" and "astrostein_fix.pk3" onto the ecwolf executable

OR

run "ecwolf --file Astrostein.bin astrostein_fix.pk3"

KNOWN ISSUES
This may be a side effect of my old ass computer but I have noticed
a slight lag while playing Astrostein. I haven't experienced it with any
other mod except the mac version of the Astrostein mods, so I
assume that it is the large amount of custom assets in the original file.

The sounds for the missile launcher and flamer replacements don't work, but this seems to be because of ECWolf's incomplete status on MacWolf, since it doesn't work in Vanilla either.
I decided not to do decorate (yet) for this fix, so there is no way to fix it until I decide to

Not all sounds may be 100% exact, as I had to guess, since SheepShaver wants to be a little bitch about copying resources in ResEdit

The shading is glitched. Aside from replacing assets (saving for future version), no way that I know of to fix it.

CREDITS

Wolfenstein 3D by iD Software
Mac version by iD Software and MacPlay
"Astrostein" originally by Laz Rojas
Fix by AstroCreep
Extra resources from Wolfenstein 3D (PC) and WolfenDooM version of Astrostein

Requires ECWolf 1.3.99999 (Dev Versions only!!!) and Wolfenstein 3D: Third Encounter

I am aware that MacWolf is notoriously hard to find, but please do NOT ask me for any copies or where to download it. I had to find my copy myself, which means you have to too!

To get a working version of MacWolf, you must MacBinary the original executable file and the scenario file for Second Encounter (should be a file that says "Second Encounter - 30 Levels) [that will give them the extension .bin]. Then, rename the binary "wolf3d.bin" and the scenario file "wolflvls.bin" and drop them into your ECWolf data folder (wherever you put your game files, i.e., VSWAP.WL6)

DOWNLOAD - http://www.mediafire.com/download/ckbk9 ... x_v1_0.zip

****UPDATE****

I have uploaded a seperate patch named "astrostein_fix_PC. This version is slightly different, as it includes a few more files to
achieve compatibility with the PC version of Wolfenstein 3D! This is kind of a big deal, since (as far as I can tell) this is the ONLY
mod to achieve cross compatibility with both the Mac and PC versions of Wolfenstein! (Even if it's only slightly - the fact that you can literally just
change a few things and load original Mac assets with the PC version is amazing. Thanks Blzut3!)
This will still require the dev versions, as it heavily relies on the Mac decorate codes, xlat, and ability to load Mac scenarios.

This still includes the original mod, ready to go, so you won't have to mess with any MacBinary shit at all if you don't want to! Simply drag n' drop or run "ecwolf --file Astrostein.bin astrostein_fix_pc.pk3. Even though this runs with the PC version, it is still prone to the bugs Blzut3 hasn't worked out of the Mac version yet, such as crashing at the end of the game.
UPDATE 7/14/2015 - Fixed palette.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD!

UPDATE 8/10/15 - another palette fix and a few optimizations
UPDATE 12/03/18 - added mapinfo to prevent crashing and define music
Spoiler: NOAHPAK: THE INVASION - Coming Soon
KLICKEN SIE HIER for MORE (not so) GREAT MODS FROM ASTROCREEP
Last edited by AstroCreep on Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:05 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Fox666

Re: [ECWolf] ASTROSTEIN (Mac) - QuickFix for ECWolf 1.3.99 (

Post by Fox666 »

Nice job.

There is a visible glitch with the wall shading. If this helps...
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

Well somehow it must have been flip-flopped in the original. If I remember correctly, shade had to be manually added in WolfEdit? I didn't touch the walls in this (as they are locked in the original mod) so it's either an error in ECWolf or on Laz's part. Once MacWolf is completely supported, I'm going to overhaul the shit out of this, maybe add cross-compatibility with the PC version of wolf (from what I have gathered, all it seems it would take would be a super-bloated decorate and a couple palette files, maybe a few edited gfx here and there).

In other questions, would anyone happen to know if there is a way to rip the maps from Mac scenarios and put them in a wad? I know it's a bit of a long shot, but shit, one could hope.

EDIT - I just checked out both the original version of MacWolf and the dev version of ECWolf. It seems that shading must be somehow handled differently, because there is clearly shading in the original, but when I play it on ECWolf there is none. I can't explain how it shades some tiles, but it must be the incomplete support.
Fox666

Post by Fox666 »

The game applies a palette to add shading. And it's a flag that can be enabled or disabled in Wolfedit, used by default for the landscape and elevator textures. On a side-note, Wolfedit incorrectly assigns the flag to the elevator textures when you create a new scenario.
cem26

Post by cem26 »

i dont know but environment textures look like taken from mega man textures
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

Have I got a surprise for all of you people that can't find the Mac version - a compatibility patch for the PC! Requires a separate patch, but this is pretty big! First time I've ever seen Mac levels run with the PC version! (even if it is because of ECWolf, it's still pretty badass!)

Check first post for the download!
Wiw
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [ECWolf]ASTROSTEIN(Mac)-QuickFix for ECWolf (PC COMPATIB

Post by Wiw »

Oh, bless ya, I didn't think I'd be able to get anywhere with binarizing my copy of MacWolf!
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

The easiest way is on a modern mac. You simply open a terminal and run "macbinary encode *filename*". It's even easier than it looks because you can drag and drop files onto the terminal window. Literally just a few keystrokes.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Seeing as Astrostein is freeware and replaces just about everything in terms of resources is there really a need for it to require the Macintosh binaries?

Anyhow, will you also be doing Astrostein 2 and 3? And Amerika the Beautiful? If the ground-work is done for this, it shouldn't really be difficult to do the rest seeing as it is mostly just replaces the resources.
Wiw
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Wiw »

AstroCreep wrote:The easiest way is on a modern mac. You simply open a terminal and run "macbinary encode *filename*". It's even easier than it looks because you can drag and drop files onto the terminal window. Literally just a few keystrokes.
Thanks for that, I'll look into it.
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

I do plan on the others, just gonna finish noahpak first. And as for the binary you won't need it for this fix but you will if you want to play regular Macwolf.
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

NEW UPDATE: Now includes a MAPINFO, music is now defined, and the game no longer crashes at the end! The only bug that remains are the randomly shaded walls, but I'm confident that will be fixed as MacWolf support is enhanced.

Return to “Levels”