PSX DooM: The Forgotten Chapter [Beta]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Dant3

PSX DooM: The Forgotten Chapter [Beta]

Post by Dant3 »

Hey everyone! This is my old resurrected GZproject.
Release date of beta version - 01m/08d/05y
So, what do we have here?:

-11 maps
-psx doom atmosphere (music + color sectors)
-singleplayer + coop (zandonum supp)
-skills: 1-4

screenshots:
Spoiler:
Download - https://vk.com/doc137890570_381773109

Final version in progress:
-some new maps
-fixed all bugs
-Final Doom PSX hud

Special Thanks: Am$ek (Titlepic), DartPovar (Decorate), Archi and Print (Beta-Testing)
Last edited by Dant3 on Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Ghost-

Re: PSX DooM: The Forgotten Chapter

Post by -Ghost- »

That looks really nice! We need more Doom 64/PSX style levels. I'll definitely be trying it out today.
RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Really interesting and fun mapset, Dante. I enjoyed the hell of out the first five levels, Memento Mori being a huge eyebrow-raiser. Your usage of traps and frequent slaughter armies are well balanced, requiring wit of the player and skill to subdue the demonic forces. I didn't find any bugs so far, playing with Complex Doom made things WAAY harder than they needed to be, just the way I like it. I made it to MAP05 before discontinuing gameplay. I don't know if it's Complex Doom, or Zandronum, but the massive framerate drop after the Lift Door Room killed my will to play it. I'll try loading without Complex here in a bit to see if it's better. If not, I do enjoy this set of levels. You put time and formula into the layouts, some even having a PSX Final Doom TNT feel, which is WICKED.

For fellow players, keep your wits about you. The level changes as you progress, so take note to these changes and they may save your life and countless restarts/save-loads :wink:

I don't have much of a critique, as I'm more of a reviewer than a critic who gripes about their play-style and how the PK3 doesn't suit their tastes. This is what I play Doom for, and if you're looking for a casual experience, Start with Hurt Me Plenty, or HNTR.
doomfiend

Post by doomfiend »

Have my babies... I love these kinds of wads... Too bad they are far to few

Gonna do a full playthrough of this :O
salahmander2

Post by salahmander2 »

Ohhhh this looks interesting, you planning on conforming them to their limits or you just keeping it as it is?
Dant3

Post by Dant3 »

salahmander2 wrote:Ohhhh this looks interesting, you planning on conforming them to their limits or you just keeping it as it is?
what do you mean ? Slow revenants ?
salahmander2

Post by salahmander2 »

More geometry and their heights.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Good map set. Hard as H*** but i'm sure all diehard Doom fans would enjoy this wad :D

NOTE : I just discovered that this wad is compatible with many other mods. Even with Brutal Doom :D Which opens lots of possible mods combo meaning lots of gameplay variants :D

Good work :)
sdk2k9

Re: PSX DooM: The Forgotten Chapter [Beta]

Post by sdk2k9 »

Awesome. I always loved the PSX Doom atmosphere maps. Just wish people would make more of them.
RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Finished this finally today, MAP05 can be confusing after you defeat the Cyberdemons in the Red Cross arena. I became lost and wandered aimlessly for minutes in the map. Framerate issues died after playing vanilla w/o gameplay mods. I really liked that you used the Final Doom Super Shotgun :)

There were some little HOMs near the Blue Skull Door on MAP05, perhaps I'll send you screenshots. It may be a -ism caused by using Zandronum and not GZDoom.

The final battle was very intense, unexpected and WILL laugh in your repetitive turmoil in the struggle against the Annihilator.

MORE PLZ
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

Keeping this in my tabs until it's finished. :D
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

Endless123 wrote:NOTE : I just discovered that this wad is compatible with many other mods. Even with Brutal Doom :D Which opens lots of possible mods combo meaning lots of gameplay variants :D
That could be improved further if it wasn't using setslot; no mod with a weapon on Slot 9 will work fully until that's fixed.
Dant3

Post by Dant3 »

Thank you, guys! I'm glad to read ur messages :D
More geometry and their heights.
No, I don't plan this
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

salahmander2 wrote:More geometry and their heights.
Not familiar with PSX Doom, then? :P

Seriously, I'm on this like flies on a turd.
salahmander2

Post by salahmander2 »

scalliano wrote:
salahmander2 wrote:More geometry and their heights.
Not familiar with PSX Doom, then? :P

Seriously, I'm on this like flies on a turd.
Of course, I did work on the Lost Levels after all. :P

It does look pretty damn good though. :D

Return to “Levels”