[WIP] The Ultimate Doom II : Doom II levels Reimagined

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Guardsoul

Re: [WIP] The Ultimate Doom II

Post by Guardsoul »

Frozenwolf150 wrote:Looks great so far. For some reason though, the wrong music track plays on Map 11. It's supposed to be "The Healer Stalks" but instead I get "Read Me" (the music that plays during the text narrations).
Some of the musics have been changed because sometimes they were too peaceful for the map.
Gardevoir

Post by Gardevoir »

Nevander wrote:
Gardevoir wrote:As I've said multiple times, I don't plan on remaking the Wolfenstein levels. Instead, I'm going to recreate two PSXDoom levels, most likely Twilight Descends and The Mansion.
Would you be cool with me (or anyone) making a two-level patch to replace MAP31 and MAP32 with souped up Wolfenstein themed replacements? I don't see why not since it's original work to a mod that wouldn't even require said mod to begin with. I'm thinking expanding on the levels, adding more detail, make them less maze like and more castle like. Obviously a souped up version of the actual MAP31 and MAP32 would still be the same.
Hey, I won't prevent you from doing maps, so if you feel like doing them just do em. :D
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Guardsoul wrote:
Frozenwolf150 wrote:Looks great so far. For some reason though, the wrong music track plays on Map 11. It's supposed to be "The Healer Stalks" but instead I get "Read Me" (the music that plays during the text narrations).
Some of the musics have been changed because sometimes they were too peaceful for the map.
I think the music should remain unchanged... unless you guys were planning to include remixes for each song, or have totally different music. Just don't rearrange the vanilla songs... it's a little mediocre, if you ask me.

At least then, we can load any music mods we want properly.
Gardevoir

Post by Gardevoir »

You can still load any custom music you want properly as the filenames for each track are the same. I just changed few of the repeated tracks to other things (and music for secret levels) because come on, goddamn D_STALKS is sleep inducing. Maps that have different music are 11 (uses the same track as D_READ_M), 17 (uses original music of Map25), 25 (uses Doom 1 Ending music), 31 (uses D_E1M8 from Doom 1) and 32 (uses alpha version of D_SHAWN). Rearanging the music on your own isn't a problem, and you can even go inside the wad and delete all the new tracks if they pain your ears that much. We already had a discussion about this few posts ago (or perhaps on doomworld, I'm too lazy to check) where I stated that if I replace any music, it will still come from the Doom OST.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Oh, ok. Good to know. :)
Frozenwolf150

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

Now that I've finished the wad, I can leave a more in depth review.

The new settings and architecture look great, while staying true to the original maps, and I can tell that much effort went into the little details. I was particularly impressed by The Gantlet, The Waste Tunnels, Tricks and Traps (still can't get into that last secret) The Pit, The Refueling Base, The Factory, and Downtown. The urban maps look like actual post-apocalyptic cities. The only potential issue is that the large maps with wide unbroken areas may cause loss in framerate when the hordes of monsters appear, if you are running other mods that have a lot of scripts. Fortunately this did not happen to me this time.

The difficulty is not something I'm going to complain about. The maps are nowhere near slaughtermap levels of insanity, and I never got the impression that they were overloaded or unbalanced. There were no obstructive puzzles or unreasonable platforming, the way some other wads have done. I would say it's slightly easier than the Final Doom episodes in terms of challenge.

I played Doom 2 through countless times back in the day, so the remade levels were easy to get into and find my way around. Keep up the good work, and I look forward to the next update.
DOOMGABR [RU]

Post by DOOMGABR [RU] »

This is very very cooool! :) waiting for updates
Gardevoir

Post by Gardevoir »

Ahh, life's been tough on me lately, but I finally got some more progress done on this project! While no new maps were finished since last time, here's some screenshots so people know I'm still being a lazy twat.
Spoiler: Map15 WIP
Spoiler: Map16 WIP
P.S.: I hate working on Map15.
Ribo Zurai

Post by Ribo Zurai »

I love large city maps, Map15 is such a tease!
Gardevoir

Re: [WIP] The Ultimate Doom II : Doom II levels Remake

Post by Gardevoir »

Map16 is complete... but what happened to Map15, you may ask? Well... it's kinda on hold for now as it's been giving me a lot of trouble when figuring how to recreate certain areas and I just didn't have much strength left to finish it. But do not worry, I'll try to get back on it as soon as I can. Before that happens though, I'll focus on polishing few maps that's been finished so far.
Spoiler: Map16 screenies
[DOWNLOAD]
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Ooh yaay! Progress :D

Still holding off on the download... I wanna play it when it's complete... :D

(SUCH ANTICIPATION)
Nems
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Nems »

DoomKrakken wrote:Ooh yaay! Progress :D

Still holding off on the download... I wanna play it when it's complete... :D

(SUCH ANTICIPATION)
I used to be of this mindset until projects like Eternal Doom IV showed no signs of progressing outside of the demo released. I say give it a shot anyway. I did and I'm loving what Gardevoir is doing so far. Hope he's able to work out whatever's happening with map 15. O:
shotfan

Post by shotfan »

Oh, that is unusual to release a new map not in order. Still, good work! Your maps are big, detalied and believable, yet they do not feel tedious. Good luck on map15 - it deserves special attention (by far my favourite from the base game).
Luigi2600

Post by Luigi2600 »

What are you planning on doing with the Wolfenstein levels? I've made some custom enemies that are the ones from wolfenstein. If you want I can send you the download link to them. If you want to use the Wolfenstein enemies me and Untrustable did a while back. :D
Gardevoir

Post by Gardevoir »

I've said this multiple times, for secret levels I'm planning on remaking few psxdoom exclusive levels, so no wolfenstein levels in this mappack. Also I couldn't use custom enemies as this is a limit removing boom mappack, however, you might fight a certain someone as a hidden boss...

Also sorry for lack of updates. University's being tough for me but I'm slowly poking at the maps whenever I can.

Return to “Levels”