Threshold Of Pain: Special Edition

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
cauldron

Re: Threshold Of Pain: Special Edition

Post by cauldron »

I just finished playing this on UV.
Excellent atmosphere, nice flow and good fights. The custom resources and colored lights certainly add a lot.

If this is any indication of how Threshold Of Pain II is going to be then I think the community is in for a real treat when it comes out. :)

Great work, Scalliano.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

the only thing i'd wish for in the sequel is an epic final boss-battle, since i remember it being rather boring. then again, Doom seems to have this problem with all these anti-climactic final bosses. i think the most fun i had with a final boss was in Demons of Problematique 2.
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:the only thing i'd wish for in the sequel is an epic final boss-battle, since i remember it being rather boring. then again, Doom seems to have this problem with all these anti-climactic final bosses. i think the most fun i had with a final boss was in Demons of Problematique 2.
Check. ;)

ToPII has several unique boss fights, one of which you'll need to find ...
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

I just finished playing this, and I enjoyed it overall. And although it's a nice set of maps, map09 is my least favorite; it's too long (it took me an hour and a half), the fights felt repetitive and exhausting, with few ideas and set-pieces seen in the past two maps. Getting the keys felt like a real chore; they all involved doing the same thing for each key; enter door #1, flip a switch to open door #2. Enter door #2, flip a switch to open door #3, and so on... it wasn't that fun, to be honest.

In terms of bugs, I noticed few texture misalignment here and there. Plus, the Unmaker in the last room in map07 is assigned an ACS_Execute special but it wasn't referencing any script to execute.

One last, minor thing I'd like to comment on: these "one more to go" messages, involving switches, didn't feel necessary, in my opinion, because in most, if not all, cases, it was obvious what you needed to do. Take the first map, for instance. You have a red lock and a blue lock near the door that allows you access to the facility (or whatever it was). It's obvious that these two locks are necessary together to open the door...

Regardless of the above, again, I enjoyed this mapset, and I'm looking forward to Threshold of Pain 2. :)
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Fair points, all of them. Suffice to say, the majority of ToPII's maps hover around the twenty minute-half hour mark, with the only exceptions being MAP01 and the final map, which are both shorter.

As for the notifications, I'm a big fan of Quake, and it seemed like a natural thing to do, given the scripts employed. ToPII still has them, but there are fewer of them and what there are tend to be a bit more informative. They aren't confined to switches, either.
Mati9319

Post by Mati9319 »

CONTAINS SPOILERS REGARDING THE SECOND SECRET LEVEL!

After completing first two levels, the secret level and nearly beating the super-secret level, I'm already blown away - awesome work.

However, I'm unable to beat "Vinyl Resting Place". Namely, GZDoom crashes right when
Spoiler:
Hopefully there's a way to fix it without having to restart the whole game :( The only mod I'm using is NC Custom Hud (v1.21).
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

That's a known issue that has already been fixed in the most recent version. Recent versions of (G)ZDoom broke the way the grenade's projectile works, causing it to crash. It has since been reprogrammed, so if you redownload the mod, you should be able to play on without needing to restart.

Also try updating your (G)ZDoom version, if you haven't already.

Also, glad you're enjoying it so far. It's all downhill from here, I'm afraid! :P
Mati9319

Post by Mati9319 »

It works! Thanks! :D

Honestly, I was a bit skeptical toward this, as my version of GZDoom was 2.0.05 - the most recent official version. Anyway, I listened to your advice and downloaded the latest unofficial build: gzdoom-g2.1.pre-1134-ga59824c and it doesn't crash! Thanks again!
AdmiralAjax

Post by AdmiralAjax »

It's best to remember that the official versions are just really old and that the svn versions are what you should be updating.

Return to “Levels”