Hell on Xmas Eve - Play as Santa and save Xmas!

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Hell on Xmas Eve - Play as Santa and save Xmas!

Post by Ed the Bat »

Vaecrius wrote:the creepy neckbeard shit
What on Earth is that even supposed to mean?
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

I know what a neckbeard is. I just don't see how it applies to this mod in any capacity.
Gez

Post by Gez »

"Defeat the evil feminists who threaten the well-being of society by being feminists" == the kind of things you'd read on reddit/MensRights or whatever. It was a poor joke in Duke Nukem, and it's worse there as there's not even the Duke Nukem context.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

I see.
SerbianDoomer

Post by SerbianDoomer »

Vaecrius wrote:☑ annoying, trollish right-wing agenda
Gez wrote:It was a poor joke in Duke Nukem, and it's worse there as there's not even the Duke Nukem context.
What's next- declaring Shadow Warrior as racist? Or progressively standing up for imp rights in Doom :P? It's a joke for crying out loud.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Yeah, a joke. A poor joke that isn't funny. You know what you do to an unfunny comedian? You throw rotten tomatoes at him. This way, you do get to have some fun.

Shadow Warrior (original recipe, not the 2013 rebooot) has been heavily criticized for its racism. And it was a part that the developers of the reboot decided the game would be better off without.

As for imps, they're not people, they're not even animals. They're demons. Violent and hateful embodiment of evil. They're perfect video game enemy: you're always 100% morally right to kill them.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Ok wow, this discussion has gotten way more divisively political than I care for. Not to mention, away from the actual subject of the mod in question.

I'll be taking my leave.
SerbianDoomer

Post by SerbianDoomer »

Those games' low-brow humor- The fact that Lo Wang (heh) is racist, that Duke is sexist etc. as a joke is part of how the game doesn't take itself seriously. This is for me a crucial part of the charm of those old games. When I read that Shadow Warrior was getting a remake I was already skeptical, first of all I am always skeptical of sequels (most are just attempts at cashing in on old fame) and of modern games in general, but when I read in some article that the sequel would be 'politically correct' (thank you, thought police) that made me decide not to even try it. That doesn't mean I am racist or sexist (in fact I have great respect for Asian culture in general but I still found SW funny)- IMHO, neoliberal political correctness has destroyed sense of humor in the west.

Edit: I seriously doubt that the designers behind SW were white power skinheads with an anti-Asian agenda :P. The fact that some people can't tell the difference between serious political racism like white power and a goodnatured jab at racial stereotypes is what makes me think that PC has blinded people to humor.

Anyway, why not criticise Wild Weasel's Nazis mod? The majority of soldiers in the Wehrmacht (which you get to wantonly slaughter in said mod) were honorable soldiers fighting for their homeland, treating the enemy with military respect and not commiting war crimes- and even though Germany was an enemy to my country in WW2 I still have respect for the honorable actions of many German officers. And the reason there hasn't been an outcry about this is because I seriously doubt Wild Weasel made the mod with an anti-German agenda in mind, he simply pokes fun at the Nazi stereotype, like Wolfenstein3d did.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

100% ^

Santa's suit is doing it's own thing, apparently.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

SerbianDoomer wrote:Those games' low-brow humor...he simply pokes fun at the Nazi stereotype, like Wolfenstein3d did.
So, everyone is fine if I start telling my racist Serbian jokes that my friend picked up when he was in Bosnia with the military? I mean, their not really racist because I have nothing against the Serbs and I would only be doing it for fun, right? It's just Serbian stereotypes anyway. In fact, maybe I should make a mod based on the humour and the protagonist could run around making racist comments about the Serbs. All for low-brow fun, of course.
Last edited by Enjay on Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
SerbianDoomer

Post by SerbianDoomer »

Well, if you knew anything about Serbian humor is that we frequently make fun of ourselves and stereotypes of Serbs from various parts of Serbia. So, feel free :P.
In any case, there really is no need to take such a stand-offish tone, we are not fighting here, just having a friendly discussion (I hope).
SerbianDoomer wrote:Anyway, why not criticise Wild Weasel's Nazis mod?
I pose this question to you. And add, why not criticise games like Call of Duty, whose stories are pretty much pro-western propaganda making the bad guy anyone the west has fought in the past or is fighting now.

Or Russian Overkill for obvious reasons. I loved that and loved the humour in it. But again I extremely love Russians, and no Russian with a sense of humor would object to that mod :P.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Because it'd be off-topic in this thread, since it is about "Hell on Xmas Eve - Play as Santa and save Xmas!" and not about "Wild Weasel's Nazis" or "Call of Duty" or "Russian Overkill".
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

SerbianDoomer wrote:So, feel free :P.
I won't because they are actually very racist entirely inappropriate and, not too surprisingly, have their "humour" based on stereotypes of what happened during some of the darker events of the Yugoslav wars.
SerbianDoomer wrote:In any case, there really is no need to take such a stand-offish tone, we are not fighting here, just having a friendly discussion (I hope).
I wasn't trying to be stand-offish. I was just trying (and failing it would seem) to pick an example where racism is seen as unacceptable to you. The point being that racist jokes, regardless of its initial intent or the politics of the person telling the joke, are often not acceptable. Personally, the only time I find racist jokes acceptable is when what they do is ridicule by parody the racist standpoint that the joke is apparently made from. Although there is some justification for saying that Shadow Warrior does that (and that Duke does it with the sexism) I'd suggest that it's not cleverly enough done and the games are more racist/sexist than ridicule.
SerbianDoomer

Post by SerbianDoomer »

Gez wrote:Because it'd be off-topic in this thread, since it is about "Hell on Xmas Eve - Play as Santa and save Xmas!" and not about "Wild Weasel's Nazis" or "Call of Duty" or "Russian Overkill".
Well the whole discussion is off topic. So making that excuse now is evading the subject. But in any case I know that my opinion is not popular here and I know when I am outgunned, so let's either continue the discussion via PM, open a thread in Off Topic, but stop ruining this thread.

Return to “Levels”