ZDCMP2: Happy Doomsday Edition (RC2)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
edward850

Re: ZDCMP2: Happy Doomsday Edition (RC2)

Post by edward850 »

Max Dickings wrote:Boy, this wad hates Brutal Doom SE.
And bloom/opengl effects.
... and Doom2/BrutalDoom hi-res sprites. :p
Seriously though it just crawls to a halt and gzdoom crashes. Especially when I turn the corner at the first hallway :/
Your original post has enough whitespace to fit any elephant.
I really don't know what you expected, or why you even bothered to try to run this with Brutal Doom. It couldn't be any less compatible (with BD or anything else, really) if they tried.
DominicWhite

Post by DominicWhite »

Yeah, ZDCMP2 is never going to stack gracefully with ANY mod. It has so much new content and so many features of its own that anything other than pure vanilla GZDoom settings is likely going to trip it up.

A general rule of thumb is that gameplay mods such as Brutal Doom, Project MSX, etc are best used on vanilla-compatible level packs and nothing else. Anything beyond that is asking for trouble.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

Because it's the new cool, didn't ya hear? XD;

I'll be giving this a try as soon as I can. Always excited to see the latest CMP.
Max Dickings

Post by Max Dickings »

DominicWhite wrote:Yeah, ZDCMP2 is never going to stack gracefully with ANY mod. It has so much new content and so many features of its own that anything other than pure vanilla GZDoom settings is likely going to trip it up.

A general rule of thumb is that gameplay mods such as Brutal Doom, Project MSX, etc are best used on vanilla-compatible level packs and nothing else. Anything beyond that is asking for trouble.

I can dream, can't I? :P

Nah but I usually had good results as long as I loaded BD after the pk3.

Although I did get it to work with the 006 build.
agaures

Post by agaures »

Found this so far...
Spoiler:
Caleb13

Post by Caleb13 »

-When I went for soulsphere (thing 5153) in one of the secrets, the spectres didn't start teleporting in when I grabbed it on UV difficulty. But when I tried in the next round (UV+1 difficulty), they teleported in as they should. Maybe just unreliable trigger?

-On UV+1 difficulty, the boss health bar didn't appear, though I guess that is deliberate?
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

I noticed with the rifle, its alt fire fires a number of 'bullets' (pellets, I know) - but was it intentional for it to be 100% accurate, like firing a slug rather than pellets?
TheMightyHeracross

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

I think the multi-bullet thing is for it to be able to "shoot through" enemies if they have low enough health.
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

It's obviously a shotgun, was just curious of its function.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Yes, it fires a slug. It's even part of the weapon description (which is unobtrusive enough not to be annoying, so nobody reads it).

{"ICO_RIFL", "New Weapon -- Rifle", "A Marine's best friend! Fires very \naccurately, with a secondary trigger\nthat shoots a high-velocity slug." },
stevenaaus

Post by stevenaaus »

Played it through with my AMD64 Linux box: GZDoom v1.6.0 - SVN revision 1452 - SDL version, video driver x11

Lots of amazing stuff, and only minor bugs. Great work everyone :)
Spoiler:

I find the autosave feature very annoying (possibly it can be disabled - but i'm a zdoom noob), and breaks quick loading/saving
Gez

Post by Gez »

What's New Since Last Beta?
  • New menu with ZDCMP2-specific options, powered by [wiki]MENUDEF[/wiki] and [wiki]CVARINFO[/wiki]!
  • By request: scripted autosave points! You can turn them off in the above menu.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

I know, it's quite a bump, but I've encountered a rather serious issue: Data Log items kill (my) framerate.

Picking the first one up doesn't appear to do much damage, if any, however all subsequent pickups do, with each one hammering my framerate down.

I've prepared this demo map for testing, which you can load on top of the project's pk3. It's just a simple room with PDAs in it.
zdcmp2.wad
(55.75 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
zuzma

Post by zuzma »

Bump

Commenting out this section of code stops it from slowing down:

// Log the message to the console. (Uses an invisible hudmessage to do so.)
SetFont("TNT1A0");
HudMessage(s:"\n \cf", s:title, s:"\n\n\cj", s:message, s:"\n";
HUDMSG_PLAIN | HUDMSG_LOG, 0, CR_WHITE, 0.0, 0.0, 0.01);

Seems to be printing duplicate messages to the console. Not sure what's wrong with it since I don't know acs
Gez

Post by Gez »

I completely forgot about this.

The problem is this:

Code: Select all

function void queueMessageAll(str title, str message, str icon, str sound, int duration) {
	for(int playerNum = 0; playerNum < MAX_PLAYERS; playerNum++)
		queueMessage(playerNum, title, message, icon, sound, duration);
}
When a message is queued, it's queued for all players. MAX_PLAYERS is defined as 64.

Long story short, queueMessageAll calls queueMessage 64 times. queueMessage then calls ProcessMessageQueue (so, it too will be run 64 times). ProcessMessageQueue sets the player for which it is called as the activator and then calls showMessage:

Code: Select all

script "ProcessMessageQueue" (int playerNum) {
	SetActivator(0, PlayerSelector[playerNum]);
	// Process entire "queue" -- show all messages until the
	// end of the queue is reached.
	for(int i = 0; i < QueueLength[playerNum]; i++) {
		showMessage( MessageQueue[playerNum][i][0]
		           , MessageQueue[playerNum][i][1]
		           , MessageQueue[playerNum][i][2]
		           , MessageQueue[playerNum][i][3]
		           , MessageQueue[playerNum][i][4]);
		delay(((MessageQueue[playerNum][i][4] + 1.0) * 35) >> 16); // Wait for (duration + 1) seconds.
	}

// Reset queue counter -- this will effectively "clear" the queue.
	QueueLength[playerNum] = 0;
}
And there we arrive at the problem: showMessage will show the message on all 64 player screens since it's called for them all, and each of them will run the invisible HUD message that's logged to the console.

So here we need two fixes: the first is that showMessage needs a way to check if its activator is the local player or not, and if not, it needs not to log the message. The second is that queueMessageAll needs a way to only queue players that are actually existing in the game session, no need to queue players 2 to 64 if the game is in single-player mode.

Return to “Levels”