Page 2 of 5

Re: [Released] E1M1 Remake: Doom 3 style

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:17 am
by Enjay
Nemesis6 wrote:I'm gonna have to rip out the spanish stuff before I try it.

I'm intrigued as to why you need to do that.

Re: [Released] E1M1 Remake: Doom 3 style

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:49 pm
by cortlong50
looks radical

Re: [Released] E1M1 Remake: Doom 3 style

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:20 pm
by Lippeth
I was wandering around in pitch black with someone screaming at me in Spanish for a while wondering what the point of this was, until I turned up the dynamic lighting. I'm so glad I did that. Really fun, but really short. I'm craving so much more of this.

Re: [Released] E1M1 Remake: Doom 3 style

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:51 pm
by Max Dickings
Lippeth wrote:I was wandering around in pitch black with someone screaming at me in Spanish for a while wondering what the point of this was


Haha!

I really enjoyed this mod, and all the work that went into, but that's pretty accurate xD

Re: [Released] E1M1 Remake: Doom 3 style

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:32 am
by WARCHILD_89
I played it and must say, well done, the level design is great. It made me think "Where the hell do these guys always get their textures from???" The spanish was strange at the beginning because I donĀ“t understand this language, but I did not mind it, because it still fits with the game. Very well done. I liked it :D

I played it using the flashlight done by "the zombie killer" here in this forum. It fits very well.

Re: [Released] E1M1 Remake: Doom 3 style

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:03 am
by twinkieman93
RikohZX wrote:It's certainly interesting, but even with the 'added dynamic lights' some parts were still pitch-black.

Enjay wrote:I couldn't even see a door in a very dark room.

Lippeth wrote:I was wandering around in pitch black.

I'm beginning to see a rather startling pattern emerge. I wonder what the cause of it could be? Hmm...

Re: [Released] E1M1 Remake: Doom 3 style

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:07 am
by Nemesis6
Enjay wrote:
Nemesis6 wrote:I'm gonna have to rip out the spanish stuff before I try it.

I'm intrigued as to why you need to do that.


A few reasons: It breaks immersion for me, I don't speak Spanish, and I also feel that releasing something with non-English dialogue on an English-language site is a bit silly. Same with releasing mods in German, French, or whatever.

That aside, the only real problem I had when playing this was that doors blended into the rest of the level design quite a bit, so telling what was what became a bit tricky. Adding some small lights above doors could mitigate this I think.

Re: [Released] E1M1 Remake: Doom 3 style

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:54 am
by Arch
Nemesis6 wrote:I also feel that releasing something with non-English dialogue on an English-language site is a bit silly. Same with releasing mods in German, French, or whatever.


You get a much larger audience here then at other languages forums.

Re: [Released] E1M1 Remake: Doom 3 style

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:10 am
by jimbob
That was fun. More of it! :)

Re: [Released] E1M1 Remake: Doom 3 style

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:27 am
by Naitguolf
Arch wrote:
Nemesis6 wrote:I also feel that releasing something with non-English dialogue on an English-language site is a bit silly. Same with releasing mods in German, French, or whatever.


You get a much larger audience here then at other languages forums.


If you play a Nazi killing game, you want enemies speak german right? (Wolfstein) ;) The sounds it doest give you details where to go, just enviromental sounds :) The only problem to me was too much repetition with the speech.

Again, we want more!!!! (And hell-base twisted theme based!!!!!)

Re: [Released] E1M1 Remake: Doom 3 style

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:16 pm
by Ed the Bat
Naitguolf wrote:If you play a Nazi killing game, you want enemies speak german right? (Wolfstein) ;)

They spoke English in the 2009 game. It did strike me as a change from the previous installments of the franchise, but it made me chuckle, because it seemed like a tongue-in-cheek throwback to the cheesy movies of yesteryear when people of other nations simply spoke heavily-accented English.

Re: [Released] E1M1 Remake: Doom 3 style

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:18 pm
by twinkieman93
Ed the Bat wrote:
Naitguolf wrote:If you play a Nazi killing game, you want enemies speak german right? (Wolfstein) ;)

They spoke English in the 2009 game. It did strike me as a change from the previous installments of the franchise, but it made me chuckle, because it seemed like a tongue-in-cheek throwback to the cheesy movies of yesteryear when people of other nations simply spoke heavily-accented English.

It actually makes sense when you consider that B.J, being a spy, is fluent in German. Seeing as how the game is from his perspective(it's a FPS, of course), he can understand what they're saying, and by proxy so can you.

Re: [Released] E1M1 Remake: Doom 3 style

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:40 pm
by cauldron
I liked it. I'd echo Enjay's comments. I had a good run through it and I think it's a very good re imagining of the levels.
Nice little touches here and there and the combat was well balanced.

Clever secret area too. :)

Re: [Released] E1M1 Remake: Doom 3 style

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:49 pm
by Ethril
twinkieman93 wrote:
RikohZX wrote:It's certainly interesting, but even with the 'added dynamic lights' some parts were still pitch-black.

Enjay wrote:I couldn't even see a door in a very dark room.

Lippeth wrote:I was wandering around in pitch black.

I'm beginning to see a rather startling pattern emerge. I wonder what the cause of it could be? Hmm...


Well, it is Doom 3 style. :P

Re: [Released] E1M1 Remake: Doom 3 style

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:55 pm
by Ed the Bat
Was I the only one who didn't have any light/visibility problems in Doom 3? :|