Real world based map pack. (excruciatingly WIP, GZDOOM)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
cortlong50

Real world based map pack. (excruciatingly WIP, GZDOOM)

Post by cortlong50 »

I DONT KNOW HOW TO NOT TYPE WAY TOO MUCH STUFF!:

dont read any of this and just give it a try.

Okay, so its not really "real world based" but lets get doom out of the UAC basements, lets get doom guy away from mazes and red skies and lets throw in the middle of the invasion of earth (without sandy making probably the weirdest "downtown" ever....what was that?)
heres how this is going to work.
kick-ass gzdoom effects...all of em i can cram into a map without killing frames (if it doesnt run at 30 on 512 vram I DONT WANT IT!).
kick-ass locations that stray away from the whole monotony of endless corridors and getting jumped by teleported imps.
kick ass atmosphere...i want it to have the detail and amazingness of TUTNT without ruining the framerate.

look. first level, youre in an under-siege base..which leads to a UAC water treatment facility (still needs some spicing up)
second lever, UAC base...it had to happen and i wanted to prove to myself i could do it, but its a needed transition.
third level will definitely be the outside offices (where public eye cant see the weird stuff you already saw in the second map) followed by a huge showdown in an office building leading to outside...and trust me...its going to be hell.
i have the idea from when i lived in berlin (back in the states now)...and i know how i want it to look, rainy...foggy...hell. fire, destruction...the works.

THIS WILL BE AN ENTIRE MEGAWAD! (know that i have a lot of time on my hands, and that ive against all the assholes odds made mods...so its gonna happen so keep your dr who avatar "good luck with that" asshole shit to yourself...and just help me)

i will upload the first level (and some of the second thats not even CLOSE to being done.) and some screens...give it a go, i know its bland and theres probably some bugs but its still in beta of course. lemme know what i can fix and what i can do to make it better. THIS IS MY VERY FIRST MAP. but its definitely better than most maps i download that say that.

give it a whirl...if you wanna help, id love to spearhead a community project based around fighting downtown and in the suburbs with an eye for avant garde special effects and bad ass firefights. tacticool shit.

if youre interested in helping with this, download the map, and then get at me.

SCREENS: (i aint sizing these down)
Spoiler:
DOWNLOAD: (p.s. this uses a whole bunch of resources from cityassault.wad by sarge...i loved the glass and fire and stuff and some of the textures were perfect, and a song from cchest4 (i cant remember the author yet, ill update this for sure)...so theres the credits section for now. remember THIS IS INSANELY BETA! especially the second level.)

(BE SURE TO UZE GZDOOM...the fog looks horrendous in zdoom software. also brutal recommended...just because of the decorations...i know you dinosaurs...its still good vanilla.)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/802xc ... emomap.wad (second revision)
Last edited by cortlong50 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cortlong50

Re: Real world based map pack. (excruciatingly WIP, GZDOOM)

Post by cortlong50 »

second map is up and ready to download, theres a little taster of the third map too so you can get a look at that thing, the first few were sketchy but i know what i wanna do so now im going to start hitting it pretty hard. especially afer learning weather and some scripting....so itll be cool.
thanks for playing, lemme know what you think or if you find any bugs.

i also added my own custom marines (with a star tout from dts-t) lemme know if they are helpful or annoying, i want this shit to be war....but i havent palced any enemies where they are...so only time will tell...lemme know if you like everything for real. its fun for me!)
Failure

Post by Failure »

Tried it, I like the ammount of details and playing it with your mod makes it more enjoynable.
the maps looks linear based, wich is all I want on doom maps.
Tho the desing is overall impresive.
What's the map 1 about anyway?
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

One question, where is the exit for MAP03 : UAC Offices? It's not showing on the map even if i use the IDDT cheat. Near the big round area of the map there is a marine that looks lost and seems to move randomly. There is also some monster corpses near him so i guess he killed them before i arrived.

Since it's still a WIP my guess is MAP03 isn't completed and that's the reason for the missing exit.

That's a really good start for a megawad, the 3 maps your wad has so far are really well designed and fun to play. I can't wait to play more :D
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

Endless123 wrote:One question, where is the exit for MAP03 : UAC Offices? It's not showing on the map even if i use the IDDT cheat. Near the big round area of the map there is a marine that looks lost and seems to move randomly. There is also some monster corpses near him so i guess he killed them before i arrived.

Since it's still a WIP my guess is MAP03 isn't completed and that's the reason for the missing exit.

That's a really good start for a megawad, the 3 maps your wad has so far are really well designed and fun to play. I can't wait to play more :D
Failure wrote:Tried it, I like the ammount of details and playing it with your mod makes it more enjoynable.
the maps looks linear based, wich is all I want on doom maps.
Tho the desing is overall impresive.
What's the map 1 about anyway?

Yes! Thanks guys! You just made my day haha. For sure. And I'm glad failure noticed playing with my mod is fun because that's kinda what I made it for (but definitely want it to run without it).

Yeah map 3 is still not finished. Not even close. That thing is going to be one giant outdoors taxing SOB when I'm done with it haha. So hence the exit and the wandering marines. Because they're supposed to be in a firefight with a bunch of monsters so it has that war zone feel. It'll work out. Don't worry haha. I have to fill that huge room with monster to make them do their job. Hahaha. So right now they just look [censored word].
Seriously this made my day. I've been nervous about this because I've never made maps but the second map feels a little wonky. Just a straight doom level for a test and eecided to leave it. It fits so fuck it haha.
Lemme know if you guys wanna make some maps together!

Also the first map is like a military base hidden inside a UAC decontamination plant. It's weird but I might re do it to make it a little more awesome and noticeable hahaha. I'm gonna make the player wake up in a sleeping tube instead of a bed though. And the levels will be linear with little off shoots that aren't necessary but it rewards the explorers like the whole blue door area in the first level haha.
Thanks guys for real!
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

played so far and i like it, just a few things that didnt like

1... the rooms feel akward with the constant change of texture, in one room all is white and the next is all blocks and so on, there need to be a more solid texture and pattern because it feels like a bunch of rooms paste together..
2... that music ¬¬ nope that music sound to fairy to be on the action and killing mood :P
3... need a more balance with ammo and health, feels very empty

the rest look good so keep doing some fixes and all will be on track ;)
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

Mav3rick wrote:played so far and i like it, just a few things that didnt like

1... the rooms feel akward with the constant change of texture, in one room all is white and the next is all blocks and so on, there need to be a more solid texture and pattern because it feels like a bunch of rooms paste together..
2... that music ¬¬ nope that music sound to fairy to be on the action and killing mood :P
3... need a more balance with ammo and health, feels very empty

the rest look good so keep doing some fixes and all will be on track ;)

this is the type of input im looking for! hahaha. i noticed that with the walls too, and i was trying to break the redundancy with the textures, but it wasnt fixing it, the third level really needs a uniform look (especially that first office haha) but how do i make the level seem cool and interesting adn not bland without making everything look like a copy and paste?

the first level is a set up. the music has to stay because its dope haha.
second level getting changed, i want some metal.
the third levels song is BAD hahahaha. love that shit.

thanks for the input, i know its kinda weird to play a one or two level wad and give feedback but its appreciated over here.

Return to “Levels”