[HUGE UPDATE!] Doom II: Purgatory (v1.3)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: [UPDATED!] Doom II: Purgatory (v1.21)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Something needs to be done to correct the sky rendering
Legend

Post by Legend »

this has a nice atmosphere to it. THough it does seem a bit empty at times and a little bland. Levels could use a little more detail. The secrets are kinda obvious too.

I certainly like the choice in music.

Overall, I enjoyed it though and I can see where you are going with it.

I did notice one little bug. The shotgun shell icon that appears in the fullscreen hud seems to be in the wrong palette. It doesn't match the pickup item and is quite distorted. I don't know if this is because I'm using an older gzdoom (1.8.6), or if it is a valid bug.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

If this is considered necro-bumping I apologize. I don't play with mouse-look so that explains why I never saw that sky box problem. How in the world do I fix it? I have a camera in a room with that texture, basically.
plmgrno

Post by plmgrno »

Hi, although I can agree with many points the others brought up, I still wanna tell you that I have been enjoying it so far. I'm in Map07 right now.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

plmgrno wrote:Hi, although I can agree with many points the others brought up, I still wanna tell you that I have been enjoying it so far. I'm in Map07 right now.
That means a lot to me. Let me know what you think, brother. I learned a lot in the process of making this mapset, (it took me many years). My primary negative feedback has been lack of monster encounters in the early space maps, and my primary positive feedback has been the Hell levels and secrets, including the secret gun. Drop some feedback whenever you want.
plmgrno

Post by plmgrno »

Hi, it's me again. I finally was able to play Doom again so I could finish your wad. All in all I have really enjoyed it. The fog effects are especially nice. Also, the final boss fight was pretty cool (although it could've been a bit faster), Anyway, I loved the last few levels, and I LOVE the quiet warping you put into Map08. I also really liked the music, especially on Map08. Anyway, thank you so much for this. It was a very cool ride.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

I'm glad you enjoyed it, I had a lot of fun making it. Were you able to find the secret level and the unmaker hidden inside?
plmgrno

Post by plmgrno »

I wasn't able to find it but I accessed the level via console :D
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

A version specifically for DoomWorld / idgames was uploaded, v1.21a. This version is inferior to the version linked here, because the .mp3s were changed for lower quality files to fit size constraints. I consider v1.21 (the one linked in OP) to be the definitive version.

https://www.doomworld.com/files/file/18 ... purgatory/
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

I don't know if I will update this project to reflect it, I don't know if I have the heart... but half of the voice acting done for the final boss was done by my wife Sabine who passed away violently in a car wreck earlier this month. I'm not going to fill this post up about my grievances, you can read all about it here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=58116 but she was a part of this project and helped me put the finishing touches with the boss so I could finally release my levels for others to play.

RIP Sabine, my love. You will always be my angel.
SouthernLion

Re: [HUGE UPDATE!] Doom II: Purgatory (v1.3)

Post by SouthernLion »

Well I just did a HUGE update. Probably the final update, and also the biggest update I've ever done since I released it. I added a memorial fountain for my late wife in all of the space maps, completely fixed The Unmaker and final boss, fixed tons and tons and tons of bugs, adjusted balance the best I could, changed up some of the areas I got feedback as "boring", etc.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

That sounds neat and overall, did a nice and proud thing for your wife. I admire ya. She'll live on in your heart forever.
Beezle

Post by Beezle »

So far looking great! Glad to see you revisiting this. I know this is over a year late but I'm so sorry for your loss. I think its really cool how you did this in her memory, I bet she's smiling down on you right now and very proud of you. Great job on this RexS:)
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

RexS wrote:... designed to be played without jumping ... don't even use Z-Look ...
Probably, you should disable these features explicitly via NoJump, NoCrouch, NoFreelook MAPINFO properties.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Thank you for all the replies, everyone. Very kind words.
_mental_ wrote:
RexS wrote:... designed to be played without jumping ... don't even use Z-Look ...
Probably, you should disable these features explicitly via NoJump, NoCrouch, NoFreelook MAPINFO properties.
I think NoFreelook would alienate a lot of potential players, but I should have done the NoJump and NoCrouch, you're right. Jumping can cheat (like in Classic Doom or Doom 64.) But I respect that a lot of modern players can't go back to "auto Z-aim" 2D play like I do. lol

Return to “Levels”