Doom 2 The Way id Did: Released!

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
HavoX
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Pro 21H1
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Doom 2 The Way id Did: Released!

Post by HavoX »

Xaser wrote:
Untitled wrote:"TNT Evilution the way TeamTNT did"
I do quite wonder if a certain team of folks will ever attempt to do this. :P
That, and I'm hoping someone does a "Heretic the way Raven Software did" one day. Same thing goes for "Chex Quest the way Digital Café did." :)
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

and "Strife: the way Rogue Entertainment Did", i hope. ;)
Last edited by Captain J on Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Any Strife mapset would be welcomed at this point. =P
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

i know, it has nothing but rare ones. and that's how i'm hoping for somebody could make that map packs that's what i was hoping for...tell me, it's hopeless. right?
Csonicgo

Post by Csonicgo »

Hornetzero wrote:O That and I didn't exactly write "it sucks" or provide no substance. Also, now that you mention it, you leaving here for another 2 months would be actually a good thing.
Your "substance" was that you played it with a Weapons mod that wasn't made for the megawad you played. Ergo, You are ignorant for thinking the megawad should work for your particular loaded mods.

If you can't play Doom as Doom was intended, then I can't really see you as a Doomer. 98% of us started with no mods and had a blast with it. Why can't you do that, and respect the mappers' intentions? Why must you change the intended presentation, and then think you have the right to complain?

Yes, there's a reason I only go on here sparingly, to keep my sanity from posts and responses like these.

This is why people are calling you a jerk.

Now if you can play the mod without weapons mods, lens-flares and plastic wrap, I might forgive you!
Last edited by Csonicgo on Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bitterman

Post by Bitterman »

What I'd like to see is Strife: the Way iD Would. This would give us Strife with more fun gameplay.
TheMightyHeracross

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

It wouldn't be Strife, then, would it? Strife isn't a full-out run-and-gun shooter like Doom.
And I Strife's gameplay is very fun, what makes it boring? The only time I remember being bored was the Sewers, but that was from being lost, and I know my way now.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Strife: the Way the Community Wants It
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

TheMightyHeracross wrote:what makes it boring?
Lack of a shotgun. :P Seriously, the entire time I was playing Strife, I was just itching to get my hands on a shotgun.

I do like Strife though. I like it a lot. However, for add on levels I'd be happy to have some "run and gun" short maps for "coffee break playing". A lot of the Strife enemies are fun to fight even without a bigger story going on and sufficiently different to the usual Doom/Heretic/Hexen to make Strife maps fun in their own right even if the theme is basically just combat. I think that there would be a place for those kind of maps as well as slower, more story driven maps.

Of course, there would have to actually be some add on maps. I know that there have been a few (and I have enjoyed them) but there have been so few that getting fussy about which type of maps should be made is not really a worthwhile concern. There are no slow story driven maps being made and not quick run and gun ones either.

I've always meant to make at least one Strife map but I have never gotten around to it. Maybe one day.
Hornetzero

Post by Hornetzero »

Your "substance" was that you played it with a Weapons mod that wasn't made for the megawad you played. Ergo, You are ignorant for thinking the megawad should work for your particular loaded mods.
Funny you should say that. I just finished this megawad with said Weapons mod (not that it was really a weapons mod. More like a total new conversion of the base). Did you miss the part where I mentioned that the problem was finding keys and the poorly placed death traps. I mean, who puts a difficult ambush behind a teleporter or below an elevator?
If you can't play Doom as Doom was intended, then I can't really see you as a Doomer. 98% of us started with no mods and had a blast with it. Why can't you do that, and respect the mappers' intentions? Why must you change the intended presentation, and then think you have the right to complain?
I can tell you that playing this with Brutal Doom had no significant change whatsoever, besides making it more fun. Playing it with a mouse aim and having mechanics like crouching and jumping makes those kinds of changes, but since this was intended for Gzdoom, I fail to see how that deviates from the creator's intended presentation. BTW, I have played the original doom 2 with no mods and completed it (I was like 8 years old). It was fun back than, but now its just stale, dry and tired looking. You are ignorant if you think those ancient standards work for everyone today.
Yes, there's a reason I only go on here sparingly, to keep my sanity from posts and responses like these.

This is why people are calling you a jerk.

Now if you can play the mod without weapons mods, lens-flares and plastic wrap, I might forgive you!
Did you notice that this thing is a mod made by fans as well? It wasn't made by ID nor published by it. More so, it was released very recently, so shouldn't it follow the highest standards of gameplay for Doom's current face?

Your logic makes as much sense as someone suggesting that you date a 90 year old beauty role model now, because she was hot in her prime years.... in the past.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Hornetzero wrote:I mean, who puts a difficult ambush behind a teleporter or below an elevator?
The issue here is that Brutal Doom alters the behavior of monsters in such a way that said ambushes may be much harder than they are in standard Doom.

I'm not going to stop you from discussing this, but I really would appreciate if the name-calling and other such ad hominems could stop. (Especially the "asshole" stuff.)
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

I'll be honest, I cannot see how this got a Caco-ward.

For starters, the wad has 1994 mapping. This is 2013. Why in the world are we celebrating old methods of mapping? Have the standards for mapping not been raised? This wad, barring the secret levels, had no inspiring or interesting maps. The only truly memorable one was the "crushed spirits" map, and that was only for the incredibly annoying traps. Additionally, the wad was easy, even on UV and with Brutal Doom SE. You'd think that'd up the difficulty, but it really felt more like "Map 1 with harder monsters" the further I went into the map. Also, with how the map is set up, 75% of the monsters would be dead before I would even be able to actually explore. Heck, I could end most levels with almost max ammo and a megasphere! I swear the monster counts never rose to the 200s either, even in the very late maps.

To be honest, the only part worth mentioning is the wonderful Map 31, the Keen map. Map32 is kinda garbage though, 1 monster that dies fairly fast to a few BFG blasts, and is the silliest looking thing ever.

If anything I'd rate it a 6/10, and that's only for memories of my old days of DOOM, way back when I was still a freshman in high school.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

Cryomundus wrote:I'll be honest, I cannot see how this got a Caco-ward.
Additionally, the wad was easy, even on UV and with Brutal Doom SE.
I'm here by authorized by the Union Aerospace Corporation to escalate this post to "This is not the right forum" and "Your post is invilid*".

Have a nice day. :mrgreen:

Also, you're seriously complaining that this mappack is too easy? Doom II is 'too easy'. If you want to get your ass handed to you, go play Plutonia 2 or a Plutonia-inspired map pack. Yeesh. :roll:

* = Invalid is purposely spelt that way.
ClonedPickle

Post by ClonedPickle »

Hornetzero wrote:I can tell you that playing this with Brutal Doom had no significant change whatsoever, besides making it more fun. Playing it with a mouse aim and having mechanics like crouching and jumping makes those kinds of changes, but since this was intended for Gzdoom, I fail to see how that deviates from the creator's intended presentation.
I didn't realize how utterly wrong someone could be until today.
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

Cryomundus wrote:Heck, I could end most levels with almost max ammo and a megasphere! I swear the monster counts never rose to the 200s either, even in the very late maps.
So... it's Doom 2, then?

Return to “Levels”