Doom 2 The Way id Did: Released!

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TheMightyHeracross

Re: Doom 2 The Way id Did: Released!

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

Hareton wrote:I'm one of the few that prefer Doom 2 a lot more than Ultimate Doom
I'm pretty sure most people prefer Doom 2 over Ultimate Doom. Including myself.
E.C.S

Post by E.C.S »

TheMightyHeracross wrote:
Hareton wrote:I'm one of the few that prefer Doom 2 a lot more than Ultimate Doom
I beg to disagree to that statement.

My favorite doom will be always Ultimate Doom. Maybe Doom 2 has more enemies and the glorious super shotgun, but I love more the levels from Ultimate Doom.
Toberone

Post by Toberone »

From my experience, the biggest complaint and argument for Doom 1 over Doom 2 is the maps which I actually kind of agree with.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Toberone wrote:From my experience, the biggest complaint and argument for Doom 1 over Doom 2 is the maps which I actually kind of agree with.
D2 has some real stinkers. Nirvana, The Spirit World, Monster Condo (just to name a few). Personally I find that they get worse farther into the game. (Though the ruined city maps, like Downtown, are not bad.)

D1's maps seem to be less designed around gimmicks, for the most part. (Map06: The Crusher is a pretty terrible concept for a map IMO. Compare E1M6, which has a really awesome hub design.)
EightLimbs

Post by EightLimbs »

Toberone wrote:
From my experience, the biggest complaint and argument for Doom 1 over Doom 2 is the maps which I actually kind of agree with.
Gotta say I prefer Doom 1 over Doom 2, I think Doom 1's maps are better.
TheMightyHeracross

Huh, most people I've seen before this said Doom 2. Well, nevermind my statement then.
Untitled
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Untitled »

Well I'd say DooM 1's maps were better, DooM 2's mechanics were better.
The new weapon, the Super Shotgun, fills a much needed power gap between, say, the shotgun and the rocket launcher. Even if ID did slightly overdo it's firepower.
The new monsters are certainly nice additions to the bestiary. Could you imagine modern wad designing without revenants, fatsos, arachnotrons, OR archviles? I certainly can't.

as such, DooM 2 I find plays smoother, but I really can't try to defend it's level design. Nirvana has to go down as one of the worst maps.

Now if we're all arguing about which iwad is the best, my response is

TNT Evilution foreveeeeeeeeeeeer
Lance

Post by Lance »

Some of the maps in this remind me of Doom 64. It's cool.
Hornetzero

Post by Hornetzero »

After playing this for a while, I can say with certainty that the level design of this map pack is outright mediocre and horrendous.

Why do people feel the need to add stupid little twists in key hunting to get through the level? Even vanilla Doom 2 had less of that in all its 32 maps (The most notable one being the circle of death). At the moment I'm stuck on level 19 on this, and can't go beyond finding the yellow key because the author apparently thinks its fun to hide the other keys in areas where its either very hard and dangerous to move through (a large field consisting of a hazardous surface) or outright inconceivable to an average Doom player.

If I didn't have this running with the HD texture pack, Brutal Doom SE, Doom Volume 4 soundtrack and the Bloom Hack, I would have not gone beyond playing level 4 for this, because quite honestly, the creator's idea of map structuring is awful.

I give this a 1/10.

- Hornet zero
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

because this map is all about what id staff keep go on with maps in 90's. and indeed those maps are simple and hard to find the keys or exits, because it's the bloody way what id did; without any custom mods, texture packs, sound addons. just make us back to the past.

least i respect other people's opinion, but only 1 score is bit harsh.
Triple S

Post by Triple S »

I've always preferred Doom 1 over Doom 2. Maps are better, music is better, and I generally like the textures better. I've also never been a fan of the Super Shotgun in terms of balance, and the new enemies are more annoying than anything; I honestly hate the Revenant and the Pain Elemental (especially the Pain Elemental, that thing must have been designed not to be fun), Mancubus is okay (and has funny sounds), Former Commando is annoying but acceptable, Hell Knight is fine, Arachnotron is annoying as shit even before it starts attacking, and Archvile I only like because of its idle sound and death sound being funny.

Also, Hornetzero, don't sign your posts. It looks dumb.
Csonicgo

Post by Csonicgo »

Hornetzero wrote:
If I didn't have this running with the HD texture pack, Brutal Doom SE, Doom Volume 4 soundtrack and the Bloom Hack, I would have not gone beyond playing level 4 for this, because quite honestly, the creator's idea of map structuring is awful.

I give this a 1/10.

- Hornet zero
*points to avatar*
Spoiler:
I really love this mapset. It was put directly on my retro Dos box, and I've been playing the heck out of it. Recommended.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Hornetzero wrote:If I didn't have this running with the HD texture pack, Brutal Doom SE, Doom Volume 4 soundtrack and the Bloom Hack, I would have not gone beyond playing level 4 for this, because quite honestly, the creator's idea of map structuring is awful.
You play it with BD and you complain about things in the levels being too tough for "an average Doom player"...

Oh and by the way, this wad got a cacoward just a few days ago. I'm not sure about you, but I think it deserves more than 1/10.
iSpook

Post by iSpook »

Winning a Cacoward =/= being above being rated 1/10 by somebody, deserving or not, to be honest.
TheMightyHeracross

While I can accept that you don't like, you should tell them what's wrong with it rather than saying "SUCKS" like you're on idgames. And try playing without those mods before judging it.

Return to “Levels”