Doom 2 The Way id Did: Released!

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Bitterman

Re: Doom 2 The Way id Did: Released!

Post by Bitterman »

Ignoring the dispute above, how about Chex the Way Digital Café Did?
Gez

Post by Gez »

Honestly, I'd rather see Chex The Way Charles Jacobi Did Twelve Years Later. The Chex 1 and Chex 2 levels are very low quality; the way they were redone in Chex 3 improved their look and gameplay significantly.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Agreed there -- when I think of Chex Quest, I think of the maps from the 3rd episode now, since they pretty much blow the first two out of the water... or milk, or some other vaguely Chex-related thing. :P
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

you know, breakfast must be healthy and tasty...also has a globby and slimy hardest difficulties too.

otherwise, we're agree. i hope it could be real happen.
Doomguy5th

Post by Doomguy5th »

Marnetmar wrote:
Gez wrote: Of course, Hexsoil remains the standout perfect map of the set. A perfect dosage of design, balance, and attention to detail. :p
D2TWID DOES NOT HAVE A MAP CALLED HEXSOIL.

;)
Spoiler:
Last edited by wildweasel on Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Altered spoilers because they're kind of actual spoilers
armyman12345

Post by armyman12345 »

Chex Quest 2, for me, has the same level as 3
Gez

Post by Gez »

armyman12345 wrote:Chex Quest 2, for me, has the same level as 3
Okay...
ImageImage
First level of Chex 2, and first level of Chex 3's second episode. That is to say, the same level. Can you guess which is which?
armyman12345

Post by armyman12345 »

I didn't know that the first level of the second episode was edited. Thanks for pointing that out!
Gez

Post by Gez »

The first level? That's only an example. All levels were edited. The layout was generally kept relatively close, just with a bit more detail and much improved textures, but do compare the Cinema map (second level of second episode) for an example of a thoroughly overhauled layout.

Chex Quest 2 has very poor levels, even poorer than Chex Quest 1. They have all been improved significantly when they were redone for Chex Quest 3.
armyman12345

Post by armyman12345 »

Could you post a link to a page with comparisons?
Bitterman

Post by Bitterman »

Oh, I never knew that Chex got a redesign. I'd like to see someone make some more Chex City levels.
Gez

Post by Gez »

I know of no such page; I've merely played through both versions.
Spoiler:
Cinema is the only one which was dramatically changed, but all of them have had small tweaks. These maps show the layout, but not the texture changes, etc. Even then, comparing any map and its redone version, you can probably discover some tiny tweak here and there. Only one where the layout doesn't seem to have changed is the final map of the first episode.
Bashe

Post by Bashe »

DoomCraft wrote:Misisng the joke hard
Registered just for that, huh.

Overall I was quite pleased with D2TWID. Like the original DTWID, it brought back some nice nostalgia and hit all the right marks for me in imitating the style of the old Doom 2 maps, and sometimes transported me to that magical time in the late 90s when I discovered Doom 2 again after a hiatus. Some maps I was not too happy with like map09 and map10 (mostly because of that DAMN SLOW ELEVATOR!) but overall the quality was well-done, and the two secret maps were freaking awesome. I love them!

I'm not sure what I'd like to see next from the team - a Strife episode would be awesome but I understand that'd be a pretty big undertaking. I'm not sure how I feel about anything Final Doom related since neither Final Doom episode really interests me all that much. Something Chex-related would be pretty cool though, if interest for it was high enough. There's not enough Chex Quest stuff to go around, it seems. Maybe I can also try my chops at doing some music for one of these mods in the future, since I'm starting to get a feel for it more now that I'm involved in doing music for another mod.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

the first two episodes of Chex Quest aren't too terribly exciting gameplay-wise, but their soundtrack almost makes up for it. of course, the third episode is superior in basically every way, but that's not to say the first two episodes doesn't have any redeeming qualities.

would still not mind more Chex Quest related material, also. perhaps with a ever-so-slightly increased difficulty bar. not that it's necessary, though, as the low difficulty level doesn't exactly impact the game's qualities that much. (i wouldn't mind contributing something like music, myself, but not sure if i'd make the cut, though)
IMX

Post by IMX »

So, in regards of the /idgames archive uploading system being back up, do we have a chance to see an /idgames upload anytime soon?

Return to “Levels”