Doom 2 The Way id Did: Released!

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Enjay

Re: Doom 2 The Way id Did: Released!

Post by Enjay »

AlwaysDoomed wrote:I also love how you made the icon of sin map actually more challenging rather than the cakewalk it is now with features like mouselook.
Although, I could be wrong here but I think it has a problem. Maybe it's just me but, as far as I can tell, if you enter the red skull key room and let the door close behind you, I don't think you can get out again because the door doesn't seem to activate from the other side and I can't find any other way out of that room.
Marnetmar

Post by Marnetmar »

Noted, thanks for telling us! :)
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

That one's an oopsie that appeared late in development while some doors were being adjusted to match how Sandy built them. It should be fixed in the next posted version; in the meantime, either noclip out or let a monster open the door for you.
IMX

Post by IMX »

Spoiler: This is related to one of the secret maps in D2TWID; if you haven't played this wad yet, don't open this, and go play it now
Big C

Post by Big C »

Best.

Secret maps.

Ever. :P
Gez

Post by Gez »

Hexsoil is not shitty enough.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Spoiler: Why can't I kill it?!
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

ITT: People only care about the Keen map.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Slax wrote:ITT: People only care about the Keen map.
Except that the majority of posts in the thread don't even mention them. :P
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

I am currently replaying this, using GZDoom instead of ZDoom this time. For some reason, those maps look worse with GL rendering... I guess it's because of the additional features of the port with advanced lighting etc which make the levels look more boring. Apparently, you are better off with a software renderer when playing this, also because the levels apparently are supposed to look as if they had been made back in 1994/1995. Hopefully, this also explains why there are still quite noticable texture misalignments, at least in the earlier levels I have played for the second time (until MAP13 or so).

Also, I STILL haven't quite figured out how to legally solve the puzzle with the raising triangle platform in MAP09 "The Gambit". :/ Not to speak of MAP30...

It looks like there are still some things to figure out with the current release according to the posts over at Doomworld forums. Maybe we'll see an improved v1.1 later this year just like with the first DTWiD (possibly then even with custom intro/intermission screens again?). I'll wait with my next playthrough until then. Don't get me wrong, this is really great stuff, and especially the secret levels are spectacular - but since I had already played the final beta before, I need a few more changes before I'll do another replay.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

I've finished it, well I went through all the levels but didn't kill the Icon of Sin.

Through out the set, I noticed a frequent, yet totally expected (considering the goal of the project), use of the Computer Area Map (which is nice!), as well as the Invulnerability Sphere, which makes me miss these powerups in today's maps. Also, it's nice to play a map or a mapset where the authors don't have some sort of grudge against the player and subjecting them to all kinds of horribles through out the campaign.

Overall, it was an entertaining experience, only ruined by the worst final boss in the history of video gaming (as usual).
Vader

Post by Vader »

Awesome, I've been waiting for an official release-candidate and although I'm only at map05 now this mapset rocks already... can't wait to play the rest of the maps when I get the time :)
ChronoSeth

Post by ChronoSeth »

One complaint that I have about the first ten or so levels is the overuse of hitscan enemies (at least on UV). It's far too often that I get dumped into a room and take an unpleasant amount of unavoidable damage. Otherwise, the maps I've run through play quite well.
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

and here we go.
im not going to come back and complain. im sure its top notch.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

bookmarked, cannot forget this wad!

Return to “Levels”