Heretic: Sitnalta

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Heretic: Sitnalta.wad Release 1.2A

Postby Caleb13 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:37 am

Oh OK, nevermind then. I see I forgot about some other bugs in E1M9. Two golems (things 140 and 141) never activate and thus 100% kills are not possible. And two golems (things 113 and 114) hidden inside opening boxes are stuck.
Caleb13
Death will not be your end; your soul will burn in Hell forever!

Postby Average » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:57 am

Cool. I'll have to try this out when I get home from work. I agree about the fact that most Heretic wads are batshit hard. Either that or they leave you with the Elven Wand for far too long making shooting enemies a labourious task as they're all Elven Wand ammo sponges. Looking forward to trying this out. :)
Average

Postby ArgonianLord » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:44 am

Caleb13 wrote:Oh OK, nevermind then. I see I forgot about some other bugs in E1M9. Two golems (things 140 and 141) never activate and thus 100% kills are not possible. And two golems (things 113 and 114) hidden inside opening boxes are stuck.

Alright I've fixed all those issues now. Though I left the Iron Lich stuck as he currently was. Otherwise... that room might possibly get a lot more unfair than it currently is. Other than that, all other issues you addressed should be fixed.
ArgonianLord

Postby ArgonianLord » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:45 am

Average wrote:Cool. I'll have to try this out when I get home from work. I agree about the fact that most Heretic wads are batshit hard. Either that or they leave you with the Elven Wand for far too long making shooting enemies a labourious task as they're all Elven Wand ammo sponges. Looking forward to trying this out. :)

Oh yeah I hate it when some Heretic WADs just leave you with the elven wand for far too long. Anyways, thanks for the interest, I'm hoping you'll have a fun time playing my WAD Average :)
ArgonianLord

Re: Heretic: Sitnalta.wad Release 1.4A

Postby ArgonianLord » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:36 pm

New update released.

This time fixing some stuff in E1M3, E1M4 and E1M5
ArgonianLord

Re: Heretic: Sitnalta.wad Release 1.4A

Postby hammer oz » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:18 am

I just finished with with samsara and I enjoyed it :D .

The only two things that frustrated me was on map 7 after getting the yellow key I got lost but after awhile I eventually found my way and on the last level I couldn't find a way to access the the elevators that lead you to the main romm with all the key doors in it so eventually i just did whatever I could of that part and no clipped to the stairs that lead you to that room.
hammer oz
the classics will always be remembered :)

Re: Heretic: Sitnalta.wad Release 2.0 A

Postby ArgonianLord » Tue May 04, 2021 12:11 pm

Update for May the 4th 2021 20:11

Sitnalta has received the least support and edits from me over the years, and I recently remedied this as I realized upon replays that some areas in Sitnalta were ludicrously tight and confined, and I also added double doors in hallways for seemingly no reason from time to time.

And that is primarily what this update fixes, double doors in small hallways have been cut down to singular doors, and tight corridors have been expanded so you can more easily dodge enemies.

I've also rewritten the scripts for the intro to the final battle with the Rift Lord (Formerly known as Zakachi Daemonborne, I dropped the name as it felt a bit too silly). Now the player no longer has to wait as long for the battle to start, and what lines of dialogue that do print on the screen can now be read properly without them vanishing right when you're mid-reading.

The story for Sitnalta has also been rewritten to fit the narratives of my other projects better, seeing as it is meant to be connected with my other narratives in my other work. Ending received a similar treatment, and now hints towards a Sitnalta 2 (Working title) which I will work on in the near future.
ArgonianLord

Re: Heretic: Sitnalta

Postby ArgonianLord » Sun May 09, 2021 3:31 pm

Update for May the 9th 2021 23:28

Another smaller update to address glitches and add a suggestion by JohnSuitepee that he brought up during his stream of Sitnalta.

The main glitch that was most noticeable crops up in E1M7, where some 3d floor water would oddly stop in an area where the floor had been lowered. The 3d floor dummy sector has as such been lowered to deal with this issue.

JohnSuitepees suggestion was to add a strobe/flashing light to make it more clear where you have to go to get to the Green key door in E1M5 (Sitnalta Underwater Ruins). So now it'll be much easier to tell where you need to go in that level.
ArgonianLord

Postby NightFright » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:35 am

Great you came back to this! I remember having a hard time in some maps due to the narrow corridors sometimes. Will give it another try now to see if things got better.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Postby Dewzanity » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:52 am

Hey there, I've come to critique your map set. I thought it was really interesting how it seemed that over the course of the wad, the levels kept getting progressively better and more enjoyable. The first half of the levels, I felt as if there were way too much health and ammo, and I would find that I'd struggle to keep my ammo away from full, and that I'd stack my quartz flasks to 16 without having to use them, and I'd have several of other power ups I never use really. The later levels seem to provide less ammo and resources to where it wasn't so easy, and that's what made me start to really enjoy the experience, specifically E1M6, E1M7, and E1M8. I don't think you included difficulty settings, but I could be wrong. I just judge from whether the enemy counter changes, and it stayed consistant throughout all difficulties. I played the whole wad on Smite Meister, and at E1M4, I had to include a harder version of Heretic that provides less ammo, (just because I'm no casual gamer), and then I still did the rest of the levels deathless, though I was close. That minotaur on E1M9, was it? Very tricky place to fight him. If the 2nd difficulty were easier, and the 4th difficulty were harder, then It'd appeal to both casual and challenging play, though based on comments above, maybe I'm just crazy??? Well, for me it was a pretty casual playthrough.

Also another random nit pick, but this was made many years ago, so maybe you've improved on this already, idk? I think what bothered me most during this wad, was that almost every single secret was almost EXACTLY the same, and there was no real variety. You press on a wall, it lowers a 64x64 secret sector, and you get a power up. This was especially frustrating when I'd see there would be 3 of the same secret in a single room, such as where the secret exit is in E1M5, which, if you included the secret exit, would make 4 in the same room. So I think you may have went overboard on secrets in some places. I can only recall 4 secrets in the entire wad that were only kind of different. I would love to see there be less secrets, and to have the remaining secrets actually stand out. Maybe by adding hidden switches, switches you fire at, or walking over linedefs that lower something down temporarily. There's lots of ways to go about a secret, though again, I don't know if you've improved this skill or not, but I think the secrets could really use your help.

Anyhow, the first half of the wad I would rate a 6/10. This is when it seemed you were possibly new to level making, and it resulted in a lot of tiny factors that affected gameplay, but I could see the levels rapidly improving over time. Especially the last few levels. The second half of the wad I would rate an epic 8.5/10. The levels eventually got really fun, and all my doubts from the beginning were completely gone, and I was impressed by how much the levels improved! I really liked the one half of E1M7 that had the giant water cave that connected several parts of the level, and that's the kind of design that makes me look forward to seeing possibly a Sitnalta 2. Overall, I rate this wad a 7.75/10. The beginning is meh, but boy does it get good at E1M9 and beyond. I think after all this time, I assume you can do even better now, and I would like to see what you could really do for Sitnalta 2. Keep it up!
Dewzanity
An archvile on a rollercoaster. WEEHEEHEEE!

Discord: Dewzan#9404
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Previous

Return to Levels