Stack Domination [beta]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
BloodyAcid

Stack Domination [beta]

Post by BloodyAcid »

"Stack Domination" is a singleplayer Boom compatible map.

Preface:

It was the biggest scandal of the year; the UAC, Union Aerospace Corporation, a powerhouse in spearheading expeditions on Mars, was revealed to have participated in both human experimentation and illegal nuclear material handling. Not too long after, governmental pressure and active lobbyists have crippled the once massive enterprise - the dozens of bases and facilities have been claimed and refurbished by the government workers despite the demonic presence.

---

Thirty-five years later and the ancient UAC's existence remains solely in childrens' textbooks and online archives, yet the illegal shipments of nuclear sludge have continued to thrive. Tasked with exploring one of the most intricate extensions of the old UAC complexes, the old processing station demonstrated signs of cultist activities; pipes are interwoven around libraries of magical jargon. At this point, the government couldn't care less: the outpost is far from civilization and doesn't seem to contain any valuables. As per their declaration of humanities and whatnot, they've fulfilled their obligation to "claim" this base with one lone marine.

Difficulty: Medium-high
Monster Count: 750~
Build Time: 1 month and a week
Length: 30:00 approximately

Download b3

Changes:
-removed 2 viles
-reduced blue key door wait time
-random fixes

Notes: Save often :) Sorry for the bad narrative. I don't write this kind of stuff.

I'm open to all criticism, and I'm willing to largely revamp the map to make it the best experience possible. Thanks for reading and have fun!

ImageImage
ImageImage
Last edited by BloodyAcid on Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Caleb13

Re: Stack Domination [beta]

Post by Caleb13 »

Ohhhh yesss, I enjoy such classic-like maps the most! It had decent difficulty, too. I certainly won't mind if you make more like this one. I noticed a few bugs along the way:

-There are HOMs at lindefs 4911, 4912, 4644, 4645 after sector 663 opens.

-HOM at linedef 10878.

-HOM at linedef 4690.

-Not exactly a bug, but I sometimes ran out of ammo in the first third of the map, insofar I had to rely on monster infighting. I was fortunate I found the berserk pack early, but not everyone might get that lucky. And on the contrary, in the last third, I had 300+ cells and 40+ rockets almost permanently. Maybe you could move the ammo around the map to even it out a bit?

-Oh and maybe you could add Zdoom setting which prevents the player from jumping.
BloodyAcid

Re: Stack Domination [beta]

Post by BloodyAcid »

Right, I haven't updated the map on ZDoom compared to the other forums. My original aim was to punish the player for wasting ammo or not picking their fights wisely. It's hard to judge though, since some other players (ie, Ribbiks) entered some early areas with full shell counts. I've mostly fixed the HOMS and moved monsters around a bit. In b3, I've moved around and reduced the rocket/shell/plasma count a bit. It all depends on how well the the player defeats the cyberdemons, but I'm guessing you did well considering the excess ammo.

Jumping is up to the player, so I won't enforce strict rules to prevent it.

b3 changes:
-changed some enemy pos (nothing big)
-reduced ammo count (so many shell boxes, what was I thinking)

http://www.mediafire.com/?73ygllu11boyicx (nothing big worth redownloading if you've played it already)

Thank you for playing it, and I'm glad you enjoyed it! Look forward to more :)

Return to “Levels”