200 secrets!

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
clarence144

200 secrets!

Post by clarence144 »

Finally after all these years! A level that has 200, count em, 200 secrets!

For doom 2

This is just a basic vanilla map. I play with zdoom using freelook and ya can jump if ya want but not needed.

http://www.levelgame.net/200sec.wad

Can you find all 200 secrets and even the mega secret?

Good luck and thanks for any comments!

As always if anyone demos this I'll gladly watch it :)

All difficulty settings supported including a horrifying amount of monsters in multi-player!
Last edited by clarence144 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amuscaria

Re: 200 secrets!

Post by Amuscaria »

I must say, this might be on-par with "40,000 Levels".wad...
clarence144

Post by clarence144 »

What's that?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I opened this expecting something new and interesting. I got the exact same level that you've been posting and re-posting in here for years. When was the last time you actually edited this thing? Are you just posting a new thread every year with the same file? Have you made a new map since this one, ever? If you have been changing the file, what all have you been changing?

[edit] Okay, I actually went through your posting history and found that you have actually been steadily adding more secrets to it...but it's still pretty much the same map. Just with more secrets.
0bsidian

Post by 0bsidian »

Eriance wrote:I must say, this might be on-par with "40,000 Levels".wad...
No, this actually has playability. :P

In all seriousness, I'd recommend trying to make a new map. I can understand that you've put a lot of work into this map, but you won't improve until you expand your horizons.
grouchbag

Post by grouchbag »

:roll: ???
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

I adore your style of mapping, its a hell of a lot of fun, but I gotta agree with everyone: make somethin new man
clarence144

Post by clarence144 »

Hey guys, thanks for looking at this.

I wasn't planning on making more maps as I'm usually quite busy ....

But on my 100 secrets wad, when I got bored now then I kept trying to find ways to add another secret here and there ... until it became 200 secrets the other day so I released it.

I still hope people play and enjoy this it gets quite challenging. There's a deadly trap at the end if you back-track through the level, as well as a glorious epic battle waiting outisde. Also a worthy battle if you find the entrance to the mega secret!

Thanks all.
BloodyAcid

Post by BloodyAcid »

lolwut?

Post by lolwut? »

Just add the Secret Level theme from Battleblock Theater and this will be perfect.
Caleb13

Post by Caleb13 »

Unlike other users in this thread, I saw this map for the first time, so I didn't care it was old. It was fun to play, though I found only 77 secrets in normal gameplay. It is kinda shame that to complete the map, the player doesn't have to visit the outdoor areas or that large fire pit at all - all the keys are inside and rather easily (and quickly) obtained. It also doesn't help that the doors don't differentiate between skullkeys and keycards - that could prolong the playtime significantly. I mean, the map is already so big it couldn't be run on vanilla Doom 2 anyway, so an "advanced" feature like this wouldn't hurt it.

There are a few things that didn't fit, though. Firstly, those rooms packed chock-full of ammo and powerups. After I found one of those, I practicaly could play blindfolded, just holding BFG's trigger to clear the monsters. The map doesn't have nearly as many monsters as to justify their presence. And secondly, those large rooms. The inside of the base is complex and nicely detailed. But compared to that, the oudoor areas and fire room feel so... 1990s.

Well, just my 2 cents...
0bsidian

Post by 0bsidian »

Actually, I'd never seen this map before either.
BloodyAcid

Post by BloodyAcid »

I finally gave this map a run. Due to the nature of abundant secrets, I'm sure that everyone had basically humped every single wall ten times over. While some of the secrets were pretty cool (eg, grass/marble replacement), it soon became tiring and excessive. Coupled with boring and easy fights, cramped architecture and generally bland gameplay, I quit and idclip'd to the exit.

Return to “Levels”