[Release - v1.1 - SP-Map] - Primary: Gold

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Scripten

[Release - v1.1 - SP-Map] - Primary: Gold

Post by Scripten »

Way back in 2006, I released my first (And, until now, last) map onto the IdGames archives. It was called Primary and was quite massive. Sadly, it didn't really have much more going for it beyond scale and a number of environments. In the years since, my mapping skills have improved quite a bit, up to the point where I feel comfortable releasing my next project, Primary: Gold. This is what I wanted to release way back then, with a number of unique locations and some fairly epic fights.

As of a few days ago, my submission to idGames was accepted and the map is now officially released! It requires Zdoom at the very least, with the most optimal experience being GZdoom, and runs about 15-60 minutes in general, depending on skill level and whether you get lost or not. (I've tried my best to make it flow well, but I haven't had any luck in getting beta testers, so it's only really self-tested.)

Oh, and some screenshots for you guys (They may or may not be a wee bit outdated, but it's nothing severe.):
Spoiler:
Anyhow, without further ado, I present you all with Primary: Gold v1.0!

Get it here
Last edited by Scripten on Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big C

Re: [Release - v1.1] Primary: Gold

Post by Big C »

Ahhhhh, I saw this while lurking over at Doomworld.

Looks like refreshing oldschool ZDoom goodness. Downloading now!
GFD
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by GFD »

For what it is, it's a perfect map, well crafted and put together. A note: I can jump to grab the yellow skull key off its platform in the room I first see it, without going through the door and around to get it the way you're supposed to.
grouchbag

Post by grouchbag »

Nice looking wad.A going to play again. 8-)
Scripten

Post by Scripten »

gamefreakdude wrote:For what it is, it's a perfect map, well crafted and put together. A note: I can jump to grab the yellow skull key off its platform in the room I first see it, without going through the door and around to get it the way you're supposed to.
Huh, I wasn't able to do this myself. How exactly did you accomplish that? If it's too hard, I may leave it in, as it's only one room that you can skip. Glad everyone seems to have enjoyed themselves so far!

What's the consensus on monster choice and fight choreography? Was it too constrained or open or anything?
iSpook

Post by iSpook »

The only thing I found a bit to difficult was towards the end (I think) where you fight a spider demon, then right after it you fight four cyber demons. A bit more ammo would have been helpful (unless you're not supposed to fight them? I sorta raged quit when I realized I had run out of ammo, so I'm unsure.)
Scripten

Post by Scripten »

Ah, yeah. The boss fight. I wasn't sure how easy it would be to see the switches around the arena. You're only supposed to avoid their attacks and hit the switches to finish the map. It's a little contrived, but it's not anywhere near as tedious as actually fighting them.
iSpook

Post by iSpook »

Oh... I saw the switches, but I wasn't sure what they did. Silly me.
Caleb13

Post by Caleb13 »

Oh yes, this is the kind of mod I like the most - no new weapons or monsters, just old good Doom with more modern look. Also, I liked I actually had to use the chainsaw to conserve ammo, which is not so common. It is a damn shame you don't plan to make more maps like this.
Scripten

Post by Scripten »

I'm considering putting up another version with a few of the more game-changing bugs and niggles fixed. I managed to hop up onto the yellow key platform after messing about a bit, which means you skip a couple of fights, and the final boss battle is a bit confusing. Looks like I should have tried releasing a beta version before going to IdGames. Eheh... :oops:

Anyhow, thanks for the kind words, all, and don't despair. I may just end up doing another project like this. It'll just take a while to conceptualize and get finished, especially with the other project I'm working on.
GFD
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: [Release - v1.1 - SP-Map] - Primary: Gold

Post by GFD »

Jumping onto the yellow key platform is most easily accomplished with straferunning.
I actually liked the final "boss"; I would just recommend trying to somehow directly convey to the player that they need to hit the switches and that attacking the Cyberdemons themselves is futile.
Another recommendation: your instructions for setting lighting for this map are very vague - I'd recommend using the Lightmode MAPINFO property to force your map to have a specific lighting mode in GL.

Return to “Levels”